[net.aviation] Employee flying on company business

ark@alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) (05/31/85)

> Personally, if I owned a company, I would not permit private flying
> on company business.  If the company is going to pay to send you
> somewhere, there must be some important reason.  Airlines are far more
> a "sure" thing in getting you there on time.  And far more reliable in
> terms of returning a valued employee alive and well and ready to
> continue his vital role in the company.  (If I owned a company, I
> wouldn't hire anyone I didn't consider to be valuable :-)

If I owned a company, I would take the view that an employee
who wishes to get from point A to point B for business purposes
can go whichever way is most convenient, with the understanding that
the risk for all forms of travel is on the employee.  This is similar
to the arrangement that currently exists at AT&T Bell Laboratories
for people who want to use their own cars for business travel: the
employee is reimbursed for mileage, and is expected to accept the
risk, and carry insurance against, anything that might happen enroute.
If your car gets totaled on the way to a meeting, that is your problem.
(unfortunately, they do not make the logical extension of this
sensible attitude to private airplanes, but that's a different story)

The airlines are not always a "sure" thing -- sometimes they don't
fly where you want to go, and some people don't want to do business
with them.

bob@ulose.UUCP ( Bob B ) (05/31/85)

> > Personally, if I owned a company, I would not permit private flying
> > on company business.  If the company is going to pay to send you
> > somewhere, there must be some important reason.  Airlines are far more
> > a "sure" thing in getting you there on time.  And far more reliable in
> > terms of returning a valued employee alive and well and ready to
> > continue his vital role in the company.  (If I owned a company, I
> > wouldn't hire anyone I didn't consider to be valuable :-)

Restricting an employee's mode of transport does not generate a good
atmosphere. Generally, if someone is a pilot they would be more likely
to kill themselves while flying for their own enjoyment rather than on
company business - most private pilots fly whenever possible and for
any excuse ...

In any case, there is more risk to an employee driving somewhere on
business than flying themselves somewhere if you look at the accident
statistics (note, this is particularly true for those of us working
around the MA area). I have quite frequently flown in to Boston/Logan
for meetings in the city and in Cambridge. It has saved enormously on
time and risk in traffic.

Of course, if I were going from MA to CA, I would do so by airline
simply because even with the delays they usually have, they still get
there sooner than my <200 hp single engine machine would.

I have done some investigation on employer's attitude to general
aviation. Some are real "stick in the muds" about it, while others
adopt a better outlook. My last company (Digital - Un*x Engineering),
had a very reasonable policy - you could use general aviation, provided,
as pilot in command you satisfied a certain number of hours logged in
type/class and, for trips over 2 hours, had an instrument rating. Given
this, DEC would even re-imburse reasonable fuel/oil expenses.

At my current company (CADMUS), we have no restrictions - just that we
can't claim more than the equiv. airfare or mileage expenses.

      See you in the air,
      Bob  (decvax!ulose!bob)

cfiaime@ihnp4.UUCP (Jeff Williams) (06/01/85)

> > Personally, if I owned a company, I would not permit private flying
> > on company business.  If the company is going to pay to send you
> > somewhere, there must be some important reason.  Airlines are far more
> > a "sure" thing in getting you there on time.  And far more reliable in
> > terms of returning a valued employee alive and well and ready to
> > continue his vital role in the company.  (If I owned a company, I
> > wouldn't hire anyone I didn't consider to be valuable :-)

Opinion here, but I think valid.
If the pilot is current on instruments, in an instrument
equipped airplane, let him/her use the airplane.  As a pilot, show
a logbook entry for a six month instrument competency check, and
show participation in the FAA Pilot Proficiency Program.  Sure, it is
a burden on the employee, but if you want to fly on business, meet
the currency requirements for a FAR 135 pilot-in-command.

> If I owned a company, I would take the view that an employee
> who wishes to get from point A to point B for business purposes
> can go whichever way is most convenient, with the understanding that
> the risk for all forms of travel is on the employee.  This is similar
> to the arrangement that currently exists at AT&T Bell Laboratories
> for people who want to use their own cars for business travel: the
> employee is reimbursed for mileage, and is expected to accept the
> risk, and carry insurance against, anything that might happen enroute.
> If your car gets totaled on the way to a meeting, that is your problem.
> (unfortunately, they do not make the logical extension of this
> sensible attitude to private airplanes, but that's a different story)
>
> The airlines are not always a "sure" thing -- sometimes they don't
> fly where you want to go, and some people don't want to do business
> with them.

As for travel with the Labs, if I can arrange vacation around a trip,
I will fly myself on my own time.  I strongly dislike flying on an
air carrier.

				Jeff Williams
				AT&T Bell Laboratories
				ihnp4!cfiaime

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (06/03/85)

In article <3775@alice.UUCP> ark@alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) writes:
>If I owned a company, I would take the view that an employee
>who wishes to get from point A to point B for business purposes
>can go whichever way is most convenient, with the understanding that
>the risk for all forms of travel is on the employee.  This is similar
>to the arrangement that currently exists at AT&T Bell Laboratories
>for people who want to use their own cars for business travel:

I wonder if that principle applies at AT&T Bell Labs for company-
provided AIRLINE tickets, though -- I know it does NOT for US Gov't
agency/activity travel offices, and I would think that most large
organizations would have travel regulations that tended to be
somewhat similar. Here, the convenience of the traveller has absolutely
NOTHING to do with the flights or classes of service selected.

Flights are selected and travellers assigned to take them based on
long-term contracts with airlines, if the flights are for frequently-travelled
routes (like from the local office to Washington DC, probably the most common
route for most activities outside the DC area). This means usually that
the travel offices cannot take advantage of short-term price reductions
(like special saver fares), but the overall average cost for all flights
is better than just buying them at "retail". This situation can have
great ill-effects on travellers, though. For example, for quite a while,
our contract here in St. Louis for flights to major West Coast destinations
(SF and LA) was with Northwest Airlines. This forced us to take a feeder
flight from St. Louis to Minneapolis and then connect with wide-body
flights from there to SF or LA, which stopped there on their way to
Hawaii. These feeder flights and the Minneapolis-West Coast legs were
usually not very full, which meant that Northwest could underbid for this
particular route and still make good money on seats that would otherwise
go empty.

So, the fare was less to the activity, which could care less how abused
the travellers were, with extra take-offs and landings exposing them to higher
risk factors, delays in the initial flights causing missed connections
and subsequent hours spent in the Minneapolis terminal, and simply many more
hours spent cramped in airplanes.

If this sort of thing does NOT occur in any large organization, to personnel
low enough on the totem pole to have no control over the travel people or
choose their own arrangements, I'd be surprised. (Even if the local travel
offices tried to take traveller's needs into account, they were hamstrung by
the fact that these contracts were made by GSA, on a regional basis, and
regulations forced the travel people to assign travellers to use them.)

Will Martin

USENET: seismo!brl-bmd!wmartin     or   ARPA/MILNET: wmartin@almsa-1.ARPA

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (06/03/85)

> Restricting an employee's mode of transport does not generate a good
> atmosphere. Generally, if someone is a pilot they would be more likely
> to kill themselves while flying for their own enjoyment...

I disagree strongly.  Pilots do not fly in thunderstorms "for their
own enjoyment."  Pilots do not fly planes with known problems in the
landing gear "for their own enjoyment".

The FAA and the press muddy the waters considerably when they refer to
"personal pleasure" flying.  In most cases, this does *not* mean flying
"for their own enjoyment".  It usually means "making a vacation trip by
plane."  There is a huge difference, because vacation trips are often
accompanied by the same pressures of having schedules to meet that
business trips are.

Going up on a nice day to bore holes in the sky just doesn't have that
kind of pressure to "fly regardless of the situation".

> In any case, there is more risk to an employee driving somewhere on
> business than flying themselves somewhere if you look at the accident
> statistics

I suggest you actually *look* at those accident statistics, my friend.

For each mile you cover, you are about 20 (yes, twenty) times more
likely to die in a private plane crash than in a traffic accident.

Private planes are more dangerous than motorcycles (which are "only" 16
times as dangerous per mile as cars).

Figures from Aviation Consumer magazine.

The relative figures for *occupants* of the vehicle are even worse,
because non-occupants are seldom injured in private plane crashes, while
here in the Phoenix area about half of all traffic deaths are
pedestrians.

Isn't it about time we quit sweeping the unpleasant facts under the rug
while muttering made-up claims of "safer than cars", and instead face up
to reality?
--
Doug Pardee -- Terak Corp. -- !{ihnp4,seismo,decvax}!noao!terak!doug
               ^^^^^--- soon to be CalComp

rlr@avsdS.UUCP (Rhode L. Roberts) (06/04/85)

> > Airlines are far more a "sure" thing in getting you there on time.
> > And far more reliable in terms of returning a valued employee alive
> > and well and ready to continue his vital role in the company.

	No need to go into the *un-informed* speech here,
	a simple look at the AOPA FACTS CARD will blow
	both of those wives tales away.

> If I owned a company, I would take the view that an employee
> who wishes to get from point A to point B for business purposes
> can go whichever way is most convenient, with the understanding that
> the risk for all forms of travel is on the employee.  This is similar
> to the arrangement that currently exists at AT&T Bell Laboratories
> for people who want to use their own cars for business travel: the
> employee is reimbursed for mileage, and is expected to accept the
> risk, and carry insurance against, anything that might happen enroute.
> If your car gets totaled on the way to a meeting, that is your problem.
> (unfortunately, they do not make the logical extension of this
> sensible attitude to private airplanes, but that's a different story)
>
> The airlines are not always a "sure" thing -- sometimes they don't
> fly where you want to go, and some people don't want to do business
> with them.

	There are somewhere's near 14000 airports in the USA, of
	which the Major Air Lines serve approx. 800.
	The FAA imposes strict maintinace rules for ANY plane that
	utilizes the AIR SPACE SYSTEM, not to mention the pilots.

R. Roberts
Ampex Corp.
Redwood City, Ca.

cfiaime@ihnp4.UUCP (Jeff Williams) (06/07/85)

> > Restricting an employee's mode of transport does not generate a good
> > atmosphere. Generally, if someone is a pilot they would be more likely
> > to kill themselves while flying for their own enjoyment...
>
> I disagree strongly.  Pilots do not fly in thunderstorms "for their
> own enjoyment."  Pilots do not fly planes with known problems in the
> landing gear "for their own enjoyment".
>
> The FAA and the press muddy the waters considerably when they refer to
> "personal pleasure" flying.  In most cases, this does *not* mean flying
> "for their own enjoyment".  It usually means "making a vacation trip by
> plane."  There is a huge difference, because vacation trips are often
> accompanied by the same pressures of having schedules to meet that
> business trips are.

I wish to disagree with Doug.  Most of the accidents in general aviation
are cause by people flying into weather that they can't handle.  If the
pilot is properly qualified (instrument rated, current), keeps up with
weather information in flight, and does not fly junk aircraft, the
possiblity of completing the flight safely is quite high.

This is why I advocate the following criteria for flying on company
business:
	1.  Instrument rating - self evident

	2.  Six month instrument competency check - maintain instrument
		currency, keep from developing bad habits

	3.  Instrument equipped airplane (a single radio Cessna 150
		could probably qualify) - use the rating, schedule
		reliability

	4.  Annual participation in the Pilot Proficiency Program -
		the record speaks for itself as to the decrease in
		accidents for pilots who participate

Notice, I don't advocate the 30 hour per year Private Pilot with
no instrument rating flying on company business.  If you want to fly on
company business, give yourself the best chance of doing so safely and
with reliability.

				Jeff Williams
				AT&T Bell Laboratories
				ihnp4!cfiaime

medin@noscvax.UUCP (Ted Medin) (06/11/85)

 Well I am glad you dont run a company I work for.
 Air carriers safer? Well I guess a little bit.
 In this age of deregulation there is a good chance
 they may not be going where your going or when your
 going. I love to fly from San Diego to LA and watch
 all that bumper to bumper trafic with all the frustration
 etc.

 Probably one thing that should be required is a current instrument
 rating.

david@infopro.UUCP (David Fiedler) (06/14/85)

> If the weather is BAD (ice, 100% coverage of thunderstorms, 100 knot
> winds, and the like) go commercial.

If it's really *that* bad, you might consider staying home anyway. Do
you really want to be up in the air in weather like that, instead of
hiding under your bed at home (:-)?

--
          Dave Fiedler
{harpo,astrovax,whuxcc,clyde}!infopro!dave    People Phone: (201) 989-0570

thompson@oberon.UUCP (mark thompson) (06/18/85)

> Doug Pardee -- Terak Corp. -- !{ihnp4,seismo,decvax}!noao!terak!doug
>                ^^^^^--- soon to be CalComp
>
> For each mile you cover, you are about 20 (yes, twenty) times more
> likely to die in a private plane crash than in a traffic accident.
>
> Private planes are more dangerous than motorcycles (which are "only" 16
> times as dangerous per mile as cars).
>
> Figures from Aviation Consumer magazine.
>
> Isn't it about time we quit sweeping the unpleasant facts under the rug
> while muttering made-up claims of "safer than cars", and instead face up
> to reality?
> --
Being a motorcyclist, I have developed quite an interest in how statistics
like this really work. It turns out that that '16 times' figure is true
(if ever) only when you look at the data just right. In particular, it
lumps together a vast range of activities under one heading. As it
turns out, the kind of riding I do is (after much hand waving) 'ONLY'
about 5 times as dangerous as driving.

I have lately become very interested in learning to fly, so I am curious
as to how this risk figure is calculated. What activities are included in
this figure, how is 'mileage' calculated (ie. point-point milage .vs.
speed times time-in-air would could be vastly different), are some types
of flying (eg. aerobatics, experimental, gyrocopter) vastly more dangerous
than others?

Any further light you can shed on this issue would help me, and  probably
be of some interest to the rest of the group. I hardly need to make my
lifestyle any riskier.

-mark
--
mark thompson		is  THOMPSON@USC-ECLC.ARPA
or { ihnp4 | hplabs | akgua | sdcsvax} !sdcrdcf!uscvax!oberon!thompson