[net.aviation] Orange County Airport

hansr@tekmdp.UUCP (Hans Rubsam) (07/03/85)

Flying into Orange County Airport in August.

We are planing to fly into Orange County Airport in August. At this
Time we are planing to arrive there on a weekday about 10-11 am. Is this a good time?
Is this a real busy time?  Maybe some of you local folks down yonder would like to give
me the dos and dont's of California flying. I'm used to flying from busy
airports. Also I'm about 3/4 done with may instrument training.  So
I should have
no problem finding the  place. Just the same, I would like to hear from anybody
who may have some pointers. Also, We are planing Sunday morning to fly to
Catalina Island. Any problems with that?  Any comments will be greatly
appreciated.

lmiller@ucla-cs.UUCP (07/07/85)

In article <42@tekmdp.UUCP> hansr@tekmdp.UUCP (Hans Rubsam) writes:
>Flying into Orange County Airport in August.
>
>We are planing to fly into Orange County Airport in August.  Any comments
>will be greatly appreciated.

1)  It is busy.
2)  They are very professional in the tower.
3)  My friend Peter Garrison was mowed down by an errant 210--keep a
sharp eye behind you even on the ground!
4)  If it is real IFR, watch out for being vectored through the
localizer--there are hills east of the localizer, and you should turn
inbound and call approach if they do this to you.
5)  DO NOT fly to Catalina unless you go with another experienced
pilot.  It is not difficult, but there have been enough problems to
warrant caution.  Another friend took a Citation SP there, with the
owner in the right seat.  The owner freaked out at the apparently very
short runway (actually just a hump--there's another 1,000' beyond) and
locked the brakes.  It took weeks to replace everything and get the
plane out!
6)  Orange count is a pretty area, and fun to fly into.  Keep a very
active eye out for other traffic, particularly low along the coast.