[net.aviation] Boeing 707 roll

calvert@ut-sally.UUCP (Ken Calvert) (07/01/85)

cfiaime@ihnp4.UUCP (Jeff Williams):
>Story has it that when the 707 was first being demonstrated to airline
>officials and the Air force, Tex Johnson was making a low pass and
>rolled the thing.  That sold many airlines, right there.  Just a story,
>can any Boeing types verify?

I seem to remember a book about the 707 (sorry, don't remember
any reference info) describing the flight testing of the 707-80,
and saying they *looped* the thing.  I guess a loop wouldn't generate
any forces that category of craft couldn't take, but do they do that
to all airliners? Like, the 747?

"Interesting if true - and interesting anyway." - Mark Twain

		Ken Calvert
		Univ. of Texas CS Dept.

--

			Ken Calvert
			U.of Texas Computer Science

"Life is short and we have not much time for gladdening the hearts
of those who travel the way with us.  Oh, be swift to love!
Make haste to be kind!"

medin@noscvax.UUCP (Ted Medin) (07/09/85)

In article <2232@ut-sally.UUCP> calvert@ut-sally.UUCP (Ken Calvert) writes:
>cfiaime@ihnp4.UUCP (Jeff Williams):
>>Story has it that when the 707 was first being demonstrated to airline
>>officials and the Air force, Tex Johnson was making a low pass and
>>rolled the thing.  That sold many airlines, right there.  Just a story,
>>can any Boeing types verify?
>
>I seem to remember a book about the 707 (sorry, don't remember
>any reference info) describing the flight testing of the 707-80,
>and saying they *looped* the thing.  I guess a loop wouldn't generate
>any forces that category of craft couldn't take, but do they do that
>to all airliners? Like, the 747?

Well I remember that when the 707 was first out one of the training or
checkout manuvers was to roll the plane. The reason I remember it is
on a training flight they rolled the plane,threw off some engines
crashed and killed all. The FAA dropped that requirement from the checkout.