[net.aviation] Looking for Headset Recommendations

david@infopro.UUCP (David Fiedler) (07/31/85)

As I am growing tired of listening to my instructor shout at me over the
engine noise (perhaps if I didn't bounce so much on landing, he'd stop
shouting :-), I am currently looking into headsets. I know
about all the discount places in Flying, but primarily need user feedback
on brand experience. Headsets seem to be divided into the "heavy" noise
suppressor type (David Clark) and the lightweight Telex 950 type. The
D.C.s seem to be preferred by helicopter pilots (which I may yet become),
though the possible fatigue factor of weight may come into play. The D.C.s
are also much more expensive, especially in pairs (as an aside, I wonder
why a $25 headset and $40 mike cost $185 when put together...). Is the
extra cost worth it? Has anyone out there tried both for long periods?
Thanks in advance!
--
          Dave Fiedler
{harpo,astrovax,whuxcc,clyde}!infopro!dave    People Phone: (201) 989-0570

notes@harpo.UUCP (07/31/85)

I used to have a  Telex headset which was supposed to be for use
in helicopters.  However if I was flying in serious IFR weather,
I also used the EAR ear plugs to further reduce the noise.  I have
since bought the David Clarks with the electret mike, and I never
used the Telex anymore.  The reduction in outside noise is wonderful
and I have no problem in understanding that is said on the radio.

I also bought the liquid ear cuffs and that gives slightly improved
noise reduction of the foam cuffs.  I wear glasses and I believe
the liquid cuffs conform better to the glasses than the foam ones.

Irv McNair

marcum@sun.uucp (Alan Marcum) (08/01/85)

In article <749@infopro.UUCP> david@infopro.UUCP (David Fiedler) writes:
>As I am growing tired of listening to my instructor shout at me over the
>engine noise....  Is the extra cost worth it? Has anyone out there tried
>both for long periods?

Ever since my primary instructor got an intercom and a pair of headsets,
I've been a dedicated headset (and intercom!) fanatic.  My instructor had
both a Telex D-950 and a David Clark (model designation unknown, but their
"normal" model with a dynamic [non-electret] mike); I flew with both, and
decided on the Telex.  I now have a D-950 for passenger, an E-951 (with
ear cushion mittens) for myself, and a Sigtronics intercom to hook them
together.  If things do get really noisy, I'll put in a set of EAR plugs
as well, but I rarely need that.  (I intend to get two more D-950s soon,
to provide four-place headset capability -- the intercom is a four-place.)

Regarding intercoms, by the way, they are a SUPERB addition to the
training environment -- they allow for much clearer instructor-student
communication, improving teaching, and decreasing tension.  I also highly
recommend them outside the training environment -- makes talking with
passengers much easier.  And, if you're in heavy instrument weather, with
ATC going Mach 6, just remove your headset from the intercom (plugging
it straight into the avionics), and let your passengers keep talking
among themselves.

--
Alan M. Marcum			Sun Microsystems, Mountain View, California
...!nsc!sun!nescorna!marcum	Consulting Services

cfiaime@ihnp3.UUCP (Jeff Williams) (08/02/85)

In the past several years I have used
	1.  David Clark
	2.  Telex MRB-600
	3.  Pacific Platronics Starset

I am quite impressed with the David Clarks, especially on a long
cross country.  (The plastic airplane I fly has no insulation, so
is quite noisy.  On a recent trip to Alabama, I flew 17 hours in
three days, and my EARS wern't tired.)  The Telex MRB-600 has been
used for eight years with no problems at all.  The Starset gave me
ear infections, so I refuse to wear any "in the ear" headsets at
all.

On the David Clarks, get the liquid filled ear pieces, it makes the
headset more comfortable.  I also found that wearing a baseball cap
under the headband makes the headsets more comfortable.

If you are looking for quality, go for the Clarks.  If you want a
"heepy cheepy,"  try the MRB-600 (about $60).

					jeff williams
					ihnp3!cfiaime (new address)
					"The Ol' Flight Instructor"

ark@alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) (08/02/85)

Look at the Sigtronics S1-M.  Compared to the David Clark,
they are about 2/3 the price, slightly more comfortable
(to me), and provide about the same amount of noise isolation.
Plus they have a volume control on one earpiece so you can
adjust it to your taste.  Plus, the volume control cannot be
set to cut out the sound entirely, so you won't miss a radio
call.  They are compact and appear to be very well made.  I have
had no trouble with mine in several years of use.

dmmartindale@watcgl.UUCP (Dave Martindale) (08/04/85)

I own one David Clark H10-30 and one Telex DBM-1010; both are EPA-rated
as noise-attenuating headsets and both have dynamic mics.

The David Clark does seem to be better built, but is heavier.  It has 3dB
more attenuation than the Telex; I suspect the reason is that the entire
ear dome of the Clarks is stuffed with sound-absorbing foam while the
Telex just has a thin layer around the inside of the dome with the rest
of the volume remaining just air.  In any case, there isn't that much
perceptible difference in attenuation.  In comparison, I've worn a Telex
D-950 (lighter than the DBM-1010, less pressure on the head) and it
provided noticeably less attenuation; I felt that the noise was still too
loud (and I was in the back seat at the time).  However, the D-950 plus
earplugs might work just fine if you can get enough audio out of the
headphones without distorting.

The David Clarks had the better audio quality - the frequency range that
they reproduce seems much wider (the Telex sound "tinny").  Both headsets
are FAR better than the typical Cessna cabin speaker - you can actually hear
what ATC is saying!

The Telex seemed to have the better microphone though - more natural sounding
voice, and less apparent sensitivity to picking up wind noise.

The David Clarks seem a bit more comfortable to me, even though they are
heavier - the squarish ear cushion on the Telex presses on my jawbone no
matter how I adjust them, while the rounded cushion of the Clarks avoids it.

The Telex is the ideal passenger headset - all adjustments are friction
(the David Clarks need a wrench to adjust the headband) and the mic is much
easier to position.  But my choice for myself is the David Clark.

Someone mentioned unplugging their headset from the intercom and connecting
it direct to the audio panel in times of heavy ATC activity.  Several intercoms
have a switch that performs just that function without unplugging anything -
Telex and Oregon Avionics come to mind.

I've done a lot of looking at intercoms in the past few months and eventually
bought one; I can make comparisons if anyone's interested.

Some questions: Two people have mentioned liquid-filled ear cushions for the
David Clarks.  Are those sold by David Clark?  I've never seen them
in their ads or brochure.  Does anyone have experience with both dynamic
and electret mikes?  How much difference in sound quality is there?  Are they
worth the price difference?  (Electret-mike versions of all three headsets
I mentioned are available).

	Dave Martindale
	watmath!watcgl!onfcanim!dave

dmmartindale@watcgl.UUCP (Dave Martindale) (08/04/85)

One thing I forgot to mention: current-production David Clark headphones
all seem to have a volume control on one earpiece.  It's in series with
the transducers, so you can't turn the volume down to zero.  This is
a nice feature if you have an intercom that doesn't provide individual
volume controls (as far as I know, the Telex TC-200 is the only one
that does).

matt@ihdev.UUCP (Matt Desch) (08/07/85)

[]
While we're on the subject, does anyone have any experience
with the Plantronics head set? I want to be able to hear my
passengers when they talk (I have a hard time hearing them through
David Clark's), and I find the DCs are confining on long trips.
The Plantronics seem light weight and fairly inexpensive ($130?)
Your comments would be appreciated...

					Matt Desch
					(...ihnp4!ihlpf!matt)

phil@sdcsvax.UUCP (Phil Cohen) (08/12/85)

I use Dave Clamps and love them.  The H10-40 with vol. control.
Get the cloth covers and liquid ear seals.
Buy them from a mail order place and don't pay more than $160.

Phil