[net.aviation] Who allows general aviation for business travel

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (08/08/85)

As far as I recall, the US Government Joint Travel Regulations (JTRs)
make provision for government employees to fly their privately-owned
aircraft when on TDY for official business. The context of my
recollection was reading a statement about the dollar amount that the
employee flying his own aircraft could claim; it was limited to what would
be paid for an automobile (POV - Privately Owned Vehicle) taking the
same trip (that, in turn, is limited to the commercial airline fare the
gov't would pay for the same trip, if POV travel turned out to be more
expensive than that).

Also as far as I recall, the JTR's apply to all gov't travel (except maybe
State Department), not just DoD, so you should be able to find more
details from the personnel office of any largish federal gov't installation
or complex nearby.

Insurance doesn't enter into it -- the gov't is a "self-insurer" (they
can always raise taxes, right? :-).

Will

medin@noscvax.UUCP (Ted Medin) (08/16/85)

In article <523@brl-tgr.ARPA> wmartin@brl-bmd.UUCP writes:
>As far as I recall, the US Government Joint Travel Regulations (JTRs)
>make provision for government employees to fly their privately-owned
>aircraft when on TDY for official business. The context of my
>recollection was reading a statement about the dollar amount that the
>employee flying his own aircraft could claim; it was limited to what would
>be paid for an automobile (POV - Privately Owned Vehicle) taking the
>same trip (that, in turn, is limited to the commercial airline fare the
>gov't would pay for the same trip, if POV travel turned out to be more
>expensive than that).

 Well thats part of it. If you take another with orders on the same
flight then they pay you 27 cents a mile and all tiedown fees etc.