[net.aviation] More Bede trivia

evans@mhuxt.UUCP (crandall) (08/19/85)

What was Bede's helium filled hang glider called? Did it ever fly?

I would be willing to bet that you would see an updated '5J design
from him if you sent him the spec sheet of a cruise missle engine.
(they may be easier to come by than working (piston) BD5 pawerplants).

			Steve Crandall
			ihnp4!mhuxt!evans

4

dmmartindale@watcgl.UUCP (Dave Martindale) (08/21/85)

In article <1089@mhuxt.UUCP> evans@mhuxt.UUCP (crandall) writes:

>I would be willing to bet that you would see an updated '5J design
>from him if you sent him the spec sheet of a cruise missle engine.
>(they may be easier to come by than working (piston) BD5 pawerplants).

But could you afford to fly it?  (I remember reading somewhere that
cruise missiles, to get long range, use a very high-energy fuel that
costs something above $100/gallon).

peterb@pbear.UUCP (08/24/85)

	I remember reading an article a while ago that spec'd the '5J. It
had a fuel capacity of about 80 gallons, but the engine ate that at a rate
of about 60 gallons an hour! This gives and EFFECTIVE IFR flight time of
about 15 minutes! (Since IFR requires 45 minute reserve)...

Peter Barada
{ihnp4!inmet|{harvard|cca}!ima}!pbear!peterb