[net.aviation] Sony Air-8

faunt@hplabs.UUCP (Doug Faunt) (02/12/85)

Who carries this unit, preferably at a discount price?
My local Sony dealer knows nothing about the unit, and I think
I want one.
--
  ....!hplabs!faunt	faunt%hplabs@csnet-relay.ARPA
HP is not responsible for anything I say here.  In fact, what I say here

markmo@tekig.UUCP (Mark Morland) (02/13/85)

--------
Sporty's Pilot Shop has priced the AIR-8 at $270.

I'm tempted, it would sure be better than a "Walkman" at work!

Then again, maybe I should get a hand-held 720 so I can talk from
the Champ!

********

Somebody really ought to ask me how cheap the rates are at Wally
Olsen's Evergreen Airport in Vancouver, WA!

Cheers,

Mark Morland   tektronix!tekig!markmo

--
Don't just sit there, DRIVE the damn thing!

tektronix!tekig!markmo

bluejay@raven1.DEC (02/13/85)

I believe Sporty's Pilot Shop (Batavia (sp?) Ohio) carries the Sony AIR-8.

From the flapping feathers of       | The above text does not in any
    ...decwrl!rhea!raven1!Bluejay   | way represent the views, thoughts,
or  ...decwrl!rhea!samuri!Bluejay   | or anything else of any person,
    or on the DEC Enet,             | institution, organization,
          Raven1::Bluejay           | company, or sentient being,
          Samuri::Bluejay           | other than [perhaps] myself.

david@infopro.UUCP (David Fiedler) (07/31/85)

While I haven't gotten a chance to use or see it personally, Satellite
Technology Services recently introduced a scanner that, on specs alone,
should obsolete not only the Air-8 but also the Terra, TR-720, etc.
It scans a full 720 channels, storing 10 frequencies, has a rubber-ducky
antenna, cigarette lighter adapter, nicad battery pack, 90 day money back
guarantee, 3 year warantee, and 24-hour service, and costs just $299.50.

Oh yes, it also *transmits*.

They have a toll-free number 800-238-2300, and the usual disclaimers apply
(no connection with company, etc.)
--
          Dave Fiedler
{harpo,astrovax,whuxcc,clyde}!infopro!dave    People Phone: (201) 989-0570

dgb@mgwess.UUCP (Donald Beahm) (08/03/85)

Having seen the STS transceiver and 'handson tryout' yesterday at Oshkosh
'85, I am impressed with this radio.  It has good quality feel and operation
as well as an affordable price for a backup radio for the airplane.  The
liquid quartz display is an added feature not found in some of the higher
priced units.  Also the storage of 10 channels makes it a handy unit for use in the air especially in an emergency situation.

The entire outfit comes in a plastic (molded I think) carrying case that
keeps the batteries seperate from the radio until use [for long storage
intervals] as well as the other acessories.  All in all I think it is a
very well done outfit and intend to buy one in the near future.

They were also taking dealer inquires at the show.  My I.A. was with me and
filled out the form for dealer info, so we'll findout about that portionlater.

jeq@laidbak.UUCP (Jonathan E. Quist) (08/13/85)

>While I haven't gotten a chance to use or see it personally, Satellite
>Technology Services recently introduced a scanner that, on specs alone,
>should obsolete not only the Air-8 but also the Terra, TR-720, etc.
>It scans a full 720 channels, storing 10 frequencies, has a rubber-ducky
>antenna, cigarette lighter adapter, nicad battery pack, 90 day money back
>guarantee, 3 year warantee, and 24-hour service, and costs just $299.50.
>
>Oh yes, it also *transmits*.

I purchased one of these shortly after they were introduced,
and have very few regrets.  The STS 7600 has proven quite
reliable, and the only problems so far are that accessories
such as headsets (it does not use standard jacks, and the
headset connector pinout doesn't match that of other handhelds)
are not yet available.  STS claims the end of August...

There were quite a few of these radios on the Oshkosh flight
line this year.  I have to admit that having mine produced
a strong temptation to ask Concorde to execute a snap roll during a fly by.
(Yes, in fact, I must give the SST at least honorable mention as the
most beautiful aircraft.  If you had seen it doing touch and goes
at Wittman field, you might agree.... but, I digress.)

CFI's take note:

A few months ago I returned to flying after a 2 year layoff
with only 16 hours logged.  The first time my instructor
stepped out of the plane, I pulled my radio from the back seat
and handed it to him.  Knowing that we could converse,
and getting advice for improvements each time around the
pattern gave me loads of extra confidence.  He immediately
recommended that his flight school purchase at least one
to solo new students with.

My one regret:
Narco introduced a handheld (the HT830) at Oshkosh this year with
a nav receiver that also displays your bearing from the VOR.
It's twice the price of the STS (list for the HT830 is $695),
but if I were flying a homebuilt or classic with no electrical system,
it would be my first choice.  (It would also make a more
suitable backup for IFR flight.)

Alternate subject:  Re: Trainers

My first 16 hours were in C-152's.  Since then I've logged
4 hours in a C-140 and 40 in C-172's.  The 172 seems to
be, in general, the most docile of the 3.  I think this makes
the 152 more suitable for learning general flight proficiency.
The 140 is pretty easy to fly, but will tell you in
no uncertain terms if you are doing something wrong.
It took a lot of concentration to get my turns coordinated.
As most of my time left before my checkride will be
working on proficiency maneuvers, I plan to do it in the 140.
(I have to admit, I am one of those who beleives that the
very existence of tail tie-down ropes proves that airplanes
should not sit on their respective noses.  Flame on.)

"P-40's may be ugly, but they're beautiful."

Jonathan E. Quist
ihnp4!laidbak!jeq
``I deny that this is a disclaimer.''

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (08/19/85)

> CFI's take note:
>
> A few months ago I returned to flying after a 2 year layoff
> with only 16 hours logged.  The first time my instructor
> stepped out of the plane, I pulled my radio from the back seat
> and handed it to him.  Knowing that we could converse,
> and getting advice for improvements each time around the
> pattern gave me loads of extra confidence.  He immediately
> recommended that his flight school purchase at least one
> to solo new students with.

Gee, didn't the tower object to all that chatter??   (1/4 :-)
--
Doug Pardee -- CalComp -- {seismo!noao,decvax!noao,ihnp4}!terak!doug

jeq@laidbak.UUCP (Jonathan E. Quist) (08/24/85)

In article <681@terak.UUCP> doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) writes:
>> CFI's take note:
>>
>> A few months ago I returned to flying after a 2 year layoff
>> with only 16 hours logged.  The first time my instructor
>> stepped out of the plane, I pulled my radio from the back seat
>> and handed it to him.  Knowing that we could converse,
>> and getting advice for improvements each time around the
>> pattern gave me loads of extra confidence.  He immediately
>> recommended that his flight school purchase at least one
>> to solo new students with.
>
>Gee, didn't the tower object to all that chatter??   (1/4 :-)
>--
>Doug Pardee -- CalComp -- {seismo!noao,decvax!noao,ihnp4}!terak!doug

We had flown to an uncontrolled field that day for some pattern work.

Even at a tower field, it would have been nice.
Maybe just a security blanket, but it made soloing
a lot easier.

Jonathan E. Quist
``I deny this is a disclaimer.''