[net.aviation] SALYUT_7 SWLING

epm0@bunny.UUCP (Erik Mintz) (08/15/85)

> The follow is the Keplerian Element Set an previously know
> frequencies use by SLYUT_7.   I have not hear them yet but
> what I understand there is a good chance one may hear them
> off the coast of New England as  they talk to the "Russian
> fishing fleet  :)"
>
> freq. most likely on
> 121.750 mhz WBFM  actively reported freq.
> 142.400 mhz WBFM  actively reported freq.
> 162.000 mhz WBFM  TEL data
> 192.000 mhz WBFM  ( tobad for chan 9 )
>
> less likely but possible
> 121.500 mhz
> 121.625 mhz
> 142.417 mhz
> 142.600 mhz
>  18.000/18.060 mhz am
>  15.008 mhz
>  20.008 mhz

Several of these frequencies are in the aircraft band.

121.5 is the civilian aircraft emergency frequency. I thought this was
by international convention. I would be very surprised to find anyone
transmitting routine messages on it. I certainly have never heard any.

In fact, I thought that the whole band between 118 MHz and 135 MHz was
alloted to aircraft operations. Can anyone correct me on this?

--
Erik Mintz

ARPA or CSnet : epm0%gte-labs.csnet@csnet-relay
UUCP: ...harvard!bunny!epm0

dmmartindale@watcgl.UUCP (Dave Martindale) (08/21/85)

In article <163@bunny.UUCP> epm0@bunny.UUCP (Erik Mintz) writes:

>> The follow is the Keplerian Element Set an previously know
>> frequencies use by SLYUT_7.

[.....]

>> less likely but possible
>> 121.500 mhz
>> 121.625 mhz
>> 142.417 mhz
>> 142.600 mhz

>Several of these frequencies are in the aircraft band.
>
>121.5 is the civilian aircraft emergency frequency. I thought this was
>by international convention. I would be very surprised to find anyone
>transmitting routine messages on it. I certainly have never heard any.
>
>In fact, I thought that the whole band between 118 MHz and 135 MHz was
>alloted to aircraft operations. Can anyone correct me on this?

Perhaps the 121.5 access is receive-only?  Or perhaps it does transmit
on 121.5 when it is being used for search-and-rescue work?

As I understand it, the SARSAT program operates by having a satellite
pick up transmissions on 121.5 and rebroadcast them to a ground station
(I don't know if any frequency change is involved) where, from the
known position of the satellite and the Doppler shift of the received
signal, the ground location of the transmitter is calculated.

Anyone have a better understanding of it?

danny@joevax.UUCP (Dan Kahn) (08/24/85)

Regarding the aircraft-band freq's listed for Salyut 7:

121.75 MHz is used (at least in North America) exclusively for
ground control (tower to aircraft on ground).  Nevertheless, the
Russian cosmonauts do use it for spacecraft-to-ground: I have heard
them on this freq.

As for 121.5 MHz, I too would be very surprised to find the
Russians using it for anything other than emergency communications.