[net.aviation] good article

ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) (08/26/85)

The August 26, 1985 issue of the New Yorker magazine has a good
article about general aviation ("A Reporter Aloft [airports]").

rl@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Robert Langridge%CGL) (08/27/85)

In article <4216@alice.UUCP> ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) writes:
>The August 26, 1985 issue of the New Yorker magazine has a good
>article about general aviation ("A Reporter Aloft [airports]").

I second the recommendation, though the description of a sailplane
landing as a "...controlled crash" is way off the mark.  There is
nothing in power flying to compare with the swish of the grass on
the sailplane skid as you land.  He makes up for this lapse with
words like "excited" and "intoxication" to describe his reaction
to soaring, so perhaps I shouldn't complain.

BTW the sub-title is "SMALL airports".

Enjoy.
                 --|--
                  ^ ^
Bob Langridge				...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!rl (UUCP)
Computer Graphics Laboratory
926 Medical Sciences			         rl@berkeley (ARPA)
University of California
San Francisco  CA  94143		     Phone: +1 415 666 2630