[net.math] roots for quintic polynomial

anthony@utcsstat.UUCP (Anthony Ayiomamitis) (06/06/85)

Subject: roots of quintic polynomial

	I am looking for equations (and references, if possible) which can be
used to determine the roots of a fifth-order polynomial. Any help would be
greatly appreciated !!!
--

       	{allegra,ihnp4,linus,decvax}!utzoo!utcsstat!anthony
        {ihnp4|decvax|utzoo|utcsrgv}!utcs!utzoo!utcsstat!anthony

bs@linus.UUCP (Robert D. Silverman) (06/06/85)

> Subject: roots of quintic polynomial
>
> 	I am looking for equations (and references, if possible) which can be
> used to determine the roots of a fifth-order polynomial. Any help would be
> greatly appreciated !!!
> --
>
>        	{allegra,ihnp4,linus,decvax}!utzoo!utcsstat!anthony
>         {ihnp4|decvax|utzoo|utcsrgv}!utcs!utzoo!utcsstat!anthony

>Subject: roots of quintic polynomial
>
>	I am looking for equations (and references, if possible) which can be
>used to determine the roots of a fifth-order polynomial. Any help would be
>greatly appreciated !!!
>--
>
>       	{allegra,ihnp4,linus,decvax}!utzoo!utcsstat!anthony
>        {ihnp4|decvax|utzoo|utcsrgv}!utcs!utzoo!utcsstat!anthony

I hate to be the bearer of unhappy news but no such general solution
of a quintic exists. A general polynomial of 5th degree or higher
(in fact any polynomial) is solvable in terms of radicals only when
its Galois group is solvable. This is an extremely rare event for high
order polynomials.

Polynomials of degree less than or equal to 4 always have a Galois group
which is of prime order and hence cyclic and therefore solvable. That is
why there are general solutions for these.

Basically, the only way to solve high order polynomials is either:

	(1) numerically
	(2) trigonometrically (i.e. via the substitution x --> exp(i theta))
	    this can lead to a solution in terms of trig functions of algebraic
	    angles, but it is not always clear how to solve the resulting
	    equation.

ark@alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) (06/07/85)

> 	I am looking for equations (and references, if possible) which can be
> used to determine the roots of a fifth-order polynomial. Any help would be
> greatly appreciated !!!

The roots of a quintic polynomial can generally not be expressed
in closed form at all.  This is the lowest degree polynomial of
which this is true.

gwyn@brl-tgr.ARPA (06/08/85)

I suppose you know a general fifth-order polynomial is not solvable
using radicals..  Your best bet is probably a general polynomial
root-finder.  Unfortunately the best of these are computationally slow..

karsh@geowhiz.UUCP (06/09/85)

In article <3827@alice.UUCP> ark@alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) writes:
>> 	I am looking for equations (and references, if possible) which can be
>> used to determine the roots of a fifth-order polynomial. Any help would be
>> greatly appreciated !!!
>
>The roots of a quintic polynomial can generally not be expressed
>in closed form at all.  This is the lowest degree polynomial of
>which this is true.

  It depends what you mean by "in closed form".  It has been proven
that the quinitc can't be solved "in radicals".  But I understand that
there is a solution in terms of elliptic modular functions.

--
Bruce Karsh                           |
U. Wisc. Dept. Geology and Geophysics |

cjh@petsd.UUCP (Chris Henrich) (06/10/85)

[]
	Robert D. Silverman writes:

> Polynomials of degree less than or equal to 4 always have a Galois
> group which is of prime order and hence cyclic and therefore
> solvable. That is why there are general solutions for these.

I don't think this is correct.  The Galois group of an
equation of order n is a subgroup of the group S/sub n/ of
permutations on n things.  For n <= 4 this group is solvable;
hence the Galois group of an equation of order <= 4 is
solvable.  But it needn't be cyclic.

A theory exists for the solution of equations of order 5 in
"closed" form where the form involves an elliptic modular
function and its inverse.  This function plays a role in the
solution analogous to the role of the exponential (and its
inverse, the logarithm) in computing n-th roots for the
"closed form" solutions of quadratics, cubics, and quartics.
There is a book by Felix Klein, called _Lectures_On_The_
Icosahedron_, which used to be in print (Dover paperback) in
an English translation.  It's beautiful mathematics, if you
happen to find it beautiful, but far from being a practical
algorithm.

Can anyone give a modern reference for the algorithmic
aspects of computing Galois groups, and using them to deduce
properties of equations?

Regards,
Chris

--
Full-Name:  Christopher J. Henrich
UUCP:       ..!(cornell | ariel | ukc | houxz)!vax135!petsd!cjh

mascagni@acf4.UUCP (06/10/85)

/* acf4:net.math / anthony@utcsstat.UUCP (Anthony Ayiomamitis) /  3:32 am  Jun  6, 1985 */

>	I am looking for equations (and references, if possible) which can be
>used to determine the roots of a fifth-order polynomial. Any help would be
>greatly appreciated !!!

        There are no such equations for general quintic polynomials.  The
  formulas for general cubic and quartic can be found in most reasonable
  mathematical handbook.  There may exist closed form roots to quintic
  polynomials, but only polynomials whose coefficients satisfy very
  restrictive conditions.  If you can reduce the case to quartics by
  computing one root by some numerical method and factoring thats a method
  that is nearly closed form, but root finding past fourth degree poly-
  nomials is an iterative procedure by nature.

                                         Michael Mascagni
                                         CIMS