[net.aviation] FOUND: Great Circle Navigation Program

llh@midacs.UUCP (Linn Hower) (09/11/85)

> Subject: great circle program (rather long)
>
> Linn:
>
> 	I'm going to trust you to keep my net path confidential. [edited]
>
> 	You shouldn't have any trouble figuring this out or compiling it
> assuming you are running Unix.  I'm running under 4.2.  I wrote all of this
> and consider it in the public domain, so spread it around.  There must be
> better ways to implement this, but at least the algorythm you want is in here.

Thanks to all who responed to my request for help with great circle navigating,
especially the un-named pilot who sent me his nav program.  It was a good start
for me.

The referenced _nav_ program took a command line such as:

	nav -from ida -to kden -via bpi ckw

and looked into a clear text data base for location/altitude/etc for airports
at Idaho Falls (IDA) and Denver (KDEN) and enroute vors (Big Piney (BPI) and
Cherokee (CKW)) and ploted true and magnetic courses and distances for that
route of flight.  This was fine except that the ploting was great circle, i.e. not
a constant heading (in general) from point to point, so to actually fly these
routes would be quite difficult.

This is where I started hacking (sorry un-named, but I just can't leave well
enough alone).

I hacked the nav programs to compute rhumbline (constant heading) from point
to point.  I used the algorithms in _HP-25 Applications Programs_ as suggested
by several netters.

To this I added a new switch and used the program like this:

	nav -from ida -to kden -rvia bpi ckw

With the rvia switch the great circle course from ida to kden is calculated first.
Rnav waypoints, defined by radial/distance on the rvia vor's, are selected that
lie on this great circle course.  Then the normal rhumbline flight planning, from
point to [way]point is done.

"Works for me."

I will make either/both versions available to anyone who wants them.  If there is
enough interest, I will post to the net.  Be forewarned... I'm not claiming these are
error free or a nice interface.  My appologies to un-named for hacking up his
interface.  Examples follow.

One final thing... Can anyone point me to a machine readable database that contains
VOR ident and name, lat-lon, and altitude?  Also a similar airport/intersection
database?   Thanks...

_---------------------------------------------------------------------------------_

nav -from ida -to kden
Fanning	(Idaho Falls, ID)