[net.aviation] Advice on obtaining pilot's license

dowdy@cepu.UUCP (Dowdy Jackson) (08/12/85)

I am interested in getting my pilot's license , but I need some advice on what
to look for in a flying school and what is a reasonable price to pay for
lessons. Thank you  for the help...

                                     Dowdy Jackson
                                     UCLA NPI

rlr@avsdS.UUCP (Rhode L. Roberts) (08/16/85)

> I am interested in getting my pilot's license,
> but I need some advice on what to look for in a
> flying school and what is a reasonable price to
> pay for lessons. Thank you  for the help...

[please excuse the nroff ( spaces savings )]

    Average price around $2000.  Could be as little as $1000
    or as much as $5000 for a private pilot license.  It all
    depends on how you WANT to approach it.

    Some flight schools have highly polished and clean new
    aircraft with instructors who all wear suit and ties (
    $5000 ).

    Others have a rag wing champ thats seen better days and
    an instructor in a T shirt.  ( $1500 )

    Both will probably teach you the ropes equally well.

    Most instructors who work for a flight school full time
    and as their only source of income typically want to get
    you into the craft, start the clock, get you back in as
    close to an hour as posible so they can get the next stu-
    dent on the clock.  They really need to build the hours
    for themselves so they can quit the school and get a cor-
    porate flying job.  No REAL intrest in what you are
    learning.  There are a few rare good ones out there work-
    ing at the schools.  ( my opinion )

    The instructor who has a regular job and teaches in
    his/her spare time is ususally intrested in seeing that
    YOU get all of the REAL information DIGESTED.  And also,
    that you pass the written with high marks and pass the
    flight exam with no fear ( hee hee ) and good comments
    from the examiner.  (There may be sombody at your place
    of work who is an instructor, ask around, they usually
    don't charge as much either as they get their rewards
    from seeing you take to the sky).

    Go shopping, take a few demo rides from different
    schools, go to the aviation book store at the airport and
    browse through the books, mabey buy a Jeppesen Private
    Pilot Ground School book ( around $30 ).  Talk to pilots
    at the airport, they don't bite.  Build some knowledge to
    ask questions with, so that when you talk to an instruc-
    tor you get more out of it ( cause it get's expensive ).

    Find a friend who might want to learn with you ( the gem-
    ini system ).  This is good for brainstorming and such,
    also when you are learning the skills while in the air,
    if your friend is in the back seat while your sweating it
    out at the controls, later when you talk about it your
    friend will have a real clear picture of all the events
    that happend ( because he/she was not sweating ).   This
    is good for [de-briefing] after the flight.  On the next
    flight lesson your friend gets to GRIP the controls and
    you take the back seat to get an overview.  It's amazing
    how much more you comprehend when your not under THAT
    pressure.  ( Not to mention when you go for your instru-
    ment and your under the gun AND the hood ).

    I learned to solo at the cheapest flight school I could
    find, renting the cheapest aircrift they had using a Com-
    mercial Flight Instructor who is a personal friend.  This
    cost a whopping $20 an hour for 8 hours.  I then put
    $1500 down on a cherokee 140 and shopped around for good
    financing and paid $175 a month for 5 years.  The In-
    structor gave me lessons for no charge and I let him use
    the aircraft for his own PERSONAL flights and he replaced
    the gas.  Maintinace runs about $400 year, insurance $500
    year, tie-down (parking) runs about $50 a month ( in the
    San Francisco area ).  It drinks about 8 gallons of fuel
    an hour at approx. $2 per gal.  I paid $10,000 for the
    plane, 6 years ago, got my private and instrument ticket
    in it, have flown over 700 hours in it all over the 48
    states, and could sell it today for around $10,000.

    Add it all up and devide it by the hours flown to get the
    cost of flying for an hour, then compare that to the cost
    per hour of renting.  The nicest part about it is that I
    KNOW the mechanical condition of the entire plane, I
    KNOW it's there WHEN I want it, and I KNOW that somebody
    didn't leave it out of gas, and oil, leave candy bar
    wrappers all over the floor and cigarette butts in the
    ash trays ( or ground into the carpet ), or didn't return
    on time leaving ME standing around waiting.

    Most important of all, have fun.

	R.L. Roberts
	...{ucbvax}!atd!rlr@avsdS
	Ampex Corporation   (One of the Signal Companies)
	Audio Video Systems Division
	Redwood City, Calif.

jpg@sdchema.UUCP (Jerry Greenberg) (08/17/85)

    I will confess why despite my interest in aviation I have'nt
taken lessons. It can be summed up in two words: "stall" and "spin".

    Jerry Greenberg

jeq@laidbak.UUCP (Jonathan E. Quist) (08/20/85)

In article <107@avsdS.UUCP> rlr@avsdS.UUCP (Rhode L. Roberts) writes:
>    Some flight schools have highly polished and clean new
>    aircraft with instructors who all wear suit and ties (
>    $5000 ).
>
>    Others have a rag wing champ thats seen better days and
>    an instructor in a T shirt.  ( $1500 )
>
>    Both will probably teach you the ropes equally well.
>
>    Most instructors who work for a flight school full time
>    and as their only source of income typically want to get
>    you into the craft, start the clock, get you back in as
>    close to an hour as posible so they can get the next stu-
>    dent on the clock.  They really need to build the hours
>    for themselves so they can quit the school and get a cor-
>    porate flying job.  No REAL intrest in what you are
>    learning.  There are a few rare good ones out there work-
>    ing at the schools.  ( my opinion )
>
>    The instructor who has a regular job and teaches in
>    his/her spare time is ususally intrested in seeing that
>    YOU get all of the REAL information DIGESTED.  And also,
>    that you pass the written with high marks and pass the
>    flight exam with no fear ( hee hee ) and good comments
>    from the examiner.  (There may be sombody at your place
>    of work who is an instructor, ask around, they usually
>    don't charge as much either as they get their rewards
>    from seeing you take to the sky).

(sorry for the length of quotation, but I want to maintain context)

I'd like to add a 3rd type of instructor to the list, although
they're rare.  My first instructor was a career CFI.
To be distinguished from someone works as a fulltime CFI.
Old Fred learned to fly his first Stearman before he learned
to drive his first Model A Ford.  Flew Navy during WWII,
freight and airlines after, then looked for something more
rewarding, namely teaching flying.  His rates are higher
than the local FBO's, but less than the big flight schools,
and he is a natural teacher.  After nearly two years of without
flying, I started up again at a local flight school.
After getting past being a little rusty, I started getting
all sorts of surprised ``Where'd you learn that?'' from
various instructors who couldn't beleive a low-time student
who hadn't flown in 2 years could fly so well.
Instructors like this are hard to come by, but if you
can find one, it's worth your while.

When I stopped lessons with Fred (I moved ),
I asked him how to find another instructor.
``Look for someone with a few grey hairs.''
This isn't an absolute rule, but the point is valid:
It's hard to beat experience.  At the school where I've
been flying recently, most of the instructors are quite
young.  They are all very competent, and each of those I have
flown with are outstanding in various phases of
flight training, but without exception I have been able
to show them one or two things they didn't know because
I had benefitted from Fred's vast experience.
(When I last flew with him, he had nearly 12,000 hours
logged as a CFI, plus all his military and commercial time.)

Currently, I'm taking a month off.  (The place I've
been flying is one of the $5000 variety.)  Next month,
when my bank balance recovers a bit, I'm spending some
time with an oldtimer with a 1948 Cessna 140 (a 90 horsepower
taildragger).  $20 an hour for the plane, $15 for
the instructor, and more seat-of-the-pants flying
than I've seen in the past six months.

But, as Rhode has said, have fun.

All the best,
Jonathan E. Quist

wanttaja@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ronald J Wanttaja) (08/21/85)

>     I will confess why despite my interest in aviation I have'nt
> taken lessons. It can be summed up in two words: "stall" and "spin".

No doubt you don't drive either, because of "Flat tire" and "Drunk
driver"...

							 Ron Wanttaja
							 (ssc-vax!wanttaja)

"Itazuki tower, this is Air Force Nine-Oh-One..."

rlr@avsdT.BERKNET (Rhode L. Roberts) (08/21/85)

>     I will confess why despite my interest in aviation I have'nt
> taken lessons. It can be summed up in two words: "stall" and "spin".
>

>     Jerry Greenberg

	Stalls & spins can be fun, (every kid loves an amusement park).
	A stall is perfomed on every landing, no problem there, right.
	Making a 180 or 270 or 360 or 720 turns is all part of the
	training manuvers, no problem turning the plane, right.
	A spin is just a stall in a turn which happens to allow
	the aircraft to decend.

	I honestly don't see what the problem is.

				R. L. Roberts
				Ampex Corporation
				One of the Allied/Signal Companies
				Audio Video Systems Division
				Computer Services Group
				401 Broadway  M.S. 3-54
				Redwood City, CA. 94063-3199
				(415) 367-3790
				...{hplabs,ucbvax}!atd!avsdT:rlr

brad@gcc-bill.ARPA (Brad Parker) (08/22/85)

In article <434@sdchema.sdchema.UUCP> jpg@sdchema.UUCP (Jerry Greenberg) writes:
>    I will confess why despite my interest in aviation I have'nt
>taken lessons. It can be summed up in two words: "stall" and "spin".

With proper training and some good practice, neither one of these are
dangerous. In fact, spins are quite fun!

I will, however, give you this one: inverted spins are no fun.
--

J Bradford Parker
uucp: seismo!harvard!gcc-bill!brad

"She said you know how to spell AUDACIOUSLY? I could tell I was in love...
You want to go to heaven? or would you rather not be saved?" - Lloyd Coal

ted@bcsaic.UUCP (ted jardine) (08/24/85)

In article <434@sdchema.sdchema.UUCP> jpg@sdchema.UUCP (Jerry Greenberg) writes:
>    I will confess why despite my interest in aviation I haven't taken lessons.> It can be summed up in two words: "stall" and "spin".
>    Jerry Greenberg

No!  No!!  NO!!!  That requires at least four words: STALL, SPIN, CRASH, and
BURN!!!!  (Let's be serious, so I must here put the tongue in cheek, Yes?!)

I can understand people who are apprehensive, and those who may be fearful, but
the only thing dangerous about aviation is the person (and thankfully there are
very few of them) who ceases to pay attention to detail and/or flies other than
ahead of the airplane.  The ultimate in a safe and efficient landing is made so
that the aircraft stalls just as the wheels or pontoons touch the landing
surface.  And as for spin, that's something that the propeller or the turbine
blades do all the time.

TJ (with Amazing Grace) The Piper
(aka Ted Jardine)
Boeing Artificial Intelligence Center
...uw-beaver!uw-june!bcsaic!ted

dmm@calmasd.UUCP (David M. MacMillan) (08/27/85)

     If you are willing to do without an engine [an entirely personal
decision] gliders are a (potentially less expensive) alternative.

     I was/am exceptionally fortunate because I was able to
join a soaring club associated with my university.  This cut
expenses down to (1) flight fees [$10/day, max $20/month]
(2) tows [$13/tow to 2.5K over], gas, and yearly dues.
[And a $20 one-time fee to join.]
If you're a student, check to see if anything like this exists
at your university.  If not, check out the local gliding clubs.
(e.g. The Associated Gliding Clubs of Southern California).  My
assumption is that any commercial operation would be more
expensive.

     Some amount of glider time (I don't recall how much) can
be used to satisfy the requirements for you powered license.

                             David M. MacMillan

P.S.  [Are advertisements for nonprofit groups permissible?]
     If you are a UC San Diego student or alumnus (I think staff, too
but I'm not sure - I'm new at this), the UCSD Soaring Club
welcomes new members.  If you're interested, e-mail a note to
me, or call ((619) 452-7761).  Opportunities this good are few.

pauly@zaphod.UUCP (Paul Yeager) (08/27/85)

In article <434@sdchema.sdchema.UUCP> jpg@sdchema.UUCP (Jerry Greenberg) writes:

>    I will confess why despite my interest in aviation I have'nt
>taken lessons. It can be summed up in two words: "stall" and "spin".
>

>    Jerry Greenberg

I can empathize with Jerry on these two points, however I now fear
neither.  Early in the course of my flight instruction in Miami, my
instructor demonstrated stalls and stall recovery.  After that I was no
longer terrified of stalls.  Before I go too much further here, let me
say that under certain conditions, such as at 100 ft. agl, a stall *IS*
terrifying.  One of the reasons that slow flight and stalls are a part
of the training program is to teach the student to recognize the onset
of a stall, and therefore be able to avoid the stall.

As for spins, well that's not quite so simple.  Due to the fatality
rate in spin training, spin training was dropped from the requirements
for a private license in the U.S.  My personal opinion of this is that
it is a foolish reaction to the problem.  If it is possible to spin an
airplane, the pilot had better know what to do about it.  When my job
required that I relocate to Canada temporarily, I obtained a student
permit here, and set about getting approved for solo while waiting for
the FAA to issue my Private Pilot ticket.  Spin training is still part
of the program here, so I got to experience spins and spin recovery
first hand.  After the instructor and I did a few spins nd recoveries,
I went out solo one day and got up the nerve to spin.  The first one
wasn't too bad, so I did it again.  The second one was so much fun, I
did four more!  I entered the spin at approx. 3400 ft. agl, and
recovered before I lost 1000 feet.

The whole point of this is to say basically four things:

	1. Stalls and spins *ARE* things to avoid in everyday flight.

	2. While they are easily avioded, they *CAN* happen
	   (almost always do to pilot error.)

	3. Since they can happen, a pilot should be familiar with
	   the recovery procedures.  This requires practice, initially
	   under the direct supervision of an instructor.

	4. Stalls and spins *CAN* be practiced safely.  Using a plane
	   which has no nasty habits in stall or spin and keeping lots
	   of air between you and the ground are the key points here.

Let me also add here that a C-172 has to be really forced into a spin,
and it is said that *MOST* general aviaition singles will get
themselves out of a spin if you let the controls loose.  I must admit
I've not yet found the guts to test that statement.

Before you let those mere words dissuade you from pursuing flight
training, find out what they really represent.

Paul Yeager

"There are old pilots,
and there are bold pilots,
but there are no old bold pilots."

In article <164@avsdT.BERKNET> rlr@avsdT.BERKNET (Rhode L. Roberts) writes:

>>     I will confess why despite my interest in aviation I have'nt
>> taken lessons. It can be summed up in two words: "stall" and "spin".
>>

>>     Jerry Greenberg
>
>	A stall is perfomed on every landing, no problem there, right.

You stall the plane on every landing?? Where??

Paul Yeager

cfiaime@ihnp3.UUCP (Jeff Williams) (08/28/85)

>Let me also add here that a C-172 has to be really forced into a spin,
>and it is said that *MOST* general aviaition singles will get
>themselves out of a spin if you let the controls loose.  I must admit
>I've not yet found the guts to test that statement.

The classic spin recovery is, of course:
	1.  Opposite rudder 1-2-3
	2.  Foreward stick 1-2-3
	3.  Recover

However, I have experienced FIRST HAND that a Cessna 152 will recover
itself from a spin.  I was teaching a young lady how to fly, and was
showing her the spin.  Whenever I spun, she would grab me and hold
on for dear life.  (We spun a lot...)  Anyway, it came time for her
to try one, and she did the old "let go" routine after one turn.  The
old 152 came out of the spin in about 1/8 turn.

Also, Gene Beggs(?) has been touting a spin recovery where you hit
opposite rudder, and LET GO OF THE STICK.  It works well.  (See several
of the past issues of Sport Aviation.)  I have tried it in a 152, and
it works.  Haven't had the guts to try it in the Starhawk.

					Jeff Williams
					ihnp3!cfiaime

curt@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Curt Dodds) (08/29/85)

In article <283@gcc-bill.ARPA> brad@gcc-bill.UUCP (Brad Parker) writes:
>In article <434@sdchema.sdchema.UUCP> jpg@sdchema.UUCP (Jerry Greenberg) writes:
>>    I will confess why despite my interest in aviation I have'nt
>>taken lessons. It can be summed up in two words: "stall" and "spin".
>
>With proper training and some good practice, neither one of these are
>dangerous. In fact, spins are quite fun!
>
>I will, however, give you this one: inverted spins are no fun.

At an airshow here in Oxnard, CA I watched Bob Herendeen perform an
inverted FLAT spin having 24 turns.  Obviously SOME people even enjoy
inverted spins!

S. Curt Dodds
Programmers do it with bytes and nybbles.

dmmartindale@watcgl.UUCP (Dave Martindale) (08/29/85)

First, let me say that I had to do spins as part of flight training
(I'm Canadian) and they aren't very frightening once you know what the
plane is going to do.  The *first* time, though, can be awfully startling,
particularly if you weren't deliberately trying to spin the aircraft.
(I was trying to keep the wings level during a stall and instinctively
tried to use ailerons - I suspect my instructor was expecting it though.)
I figure that anyone that gets a plane into an inadvertent spin at altitude
has a pretty poor chance of recovering if they've never practiced spin
recovery.  And doing some practice spins both teaches respect for spins
and understanding that avoiding them is not difficult.

If I'd never done a spin, I suspect that I'd either be somewhat terrified
of them (since they are unknown) or not have sufficient respect for them.

In article <340@zaphod.UUCP> pauly@zaphod.UUCP (Paul Yeager) writes:

>Let me also add here that a C-172 has to be really forced into a spin,
>and it is said that *MOST* general aviaition singles will get
>themselves out of a spin if you let the controls loose.

That isn't quite correct.  The spin recovery method Paul is referring
to suggests taking your hands OFF the stick/wheel, so you don't make
things worse by incorrect control inputs, and apply FULL RUDDER against
the spin's rotation.  Apparently a wide variety of aircraft recover very
well from both normal and inverted spins using this technique.
But some may not - for example, requiring full forward stick rather than
just hands-off.

tel@cbnap.UUCP (T. E. Lester x3259 3E257) (08/30/85)

In article <341@zaphod.UUCP> pauly@zaphod.UUCP (Paul Yeager) writes:
>In article <164@avsdT.BERKNET> rlr@avsdT.BERKNET (Rhode L. Roberts) writes:
>>>
>>> taken lessons. It can be summed up in two words: "stall" and "spin".
>>>     Jerry Greenberg
>>	A stall is perfomed on every landing, no problem there, right.
>You stall the plane on every landing?? Where??
>Paul Yeager

You are obviously not a pilot. (or else you forgot your smiley face )
A good landing includes a full stall
inches above the ground so that the plane touches down at the absolute
minimum speed and STAYS there. Any higher speed can result in flying
bounces leading to several nasty end results. If you fly with
someone that consistantly lands without a stall light/horn going off
I suggest you avoid them untill they get more training.
Too many tricycle gear airplane drivers fall into this lazy habit
and eventually end up buying a slightly bent prop or landing gear
for decorating their den wall. (If their lucky).
				Tom

ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) (09/01/85)

> A good landing includes a full stall
> inches above the ground so that the plane touches down at the absolute
> minimum speed and STAYS there. Any higher speed can result in flying
> bounces leading to several nasty end results. If you fly with
> someone that consistantly lands without a stall light/horn going off
> I suggest you avoid them untill they get more training.

To some extent this depends on the airplane and the weather.
For instance, the Cardinal RG I fly has quite a sensitive
stabilator, with a lot of inertia, and a fairly sharp stall
(as Cessnas go).  If you run out of elevator travel three feet
above the runway, you will be very embarrassed.  If you touch
down with a knot or two of excess airspeed, you will be much less
so.  If you touch down ten knots too fast, you might bounce.
Therefore, in practice I usually find the wheels touching down
before the stall horn comes on, or very shortly afterward.

But of course I land somewhat differently in strong crosswinds.
Minimum flaps, a little extra airspeed, and make sure the wheels
are on the ground BEFORE I've lost enough aileron authority to
risk dragging a wing.

Finally, I once crossed the runway threshold at my home base
at 135 knots (in a Cessna 172!) because a Learjet was on my tail.
Flaps up, of course, and I used between 4,000 and 5,000 feet
of the 6,000 foot runway before I finally stopped (didn't touch
down until about 55 knots).  My right hand was on the throttle
for a possible go-around the whole way.

lmiller@ucla-cs.UUCP (09/02/85)

Three planes I've flown recently, you really don't want to land stalled--

  Citabria in a wheel landing
  Blanik glider
  727 (simulator, but it felt like the real thing anyhow!)

RAK@psuvm.BITNET (09/03/85)

A stall is performed on every landing immediatly before touchdown.

   -- Rex Knepp                       RAK @ PSUVM  via BITNET
      Penn State University
      122G Computer Building          !psuvax1!psuvm.bitnet!RAK
      University Park,  PA  16802     via UUCP to BITNET gateway

brad@gcc-bill.ARPA (Brad Parker) (09/03/85)

In article <2295@sdcrdcf.UUCP> curt@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Curt Dodds) writes:
>At an airshow here in Oxnard, CA I watched Bob Herendeen perform an
>inverted FLAT spin having 24 turns.  Obviously SOME people even enjoy
>inverted spins!

Wow - nice trick. What kind of plane was he driving? Better yet, how
was the recovery?

--

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (09/03/85)

> The classic spin recovery is, of course:
> 	1.  Opposite rudder 1-2-3
> 	2.  Foreward stick 1-2-3
> 	3.  Recover

Don't forget that POWER OFF is another of the steps, however when
you are practicing spins it usually is off anyway.

-Ron

ths@lanl.ARPA (09/04/85)

> >At an airshow here in Oxnard, CA I watched Bob Herendeen perform an
> >inverted FLAT spin having 24 turns.  Obviously SOME people even enjoy
> >inverted spins!
>
> Wow - nice trick. What kind of plane was he driving? Better yet, how
> was the recovery?

Many airplanes that are certificated FOR spins will enter a "flat spin"
mode IF power is NOT removed during the spin.  The "trick" that airshow
performers use is simply to "spin with power". This keeps the nose up and
the airplane enters the flat spin.  When they are ready to recover they
remove power and the CG lowers the nose allowing conventional recovery.

CG and power will alter the spin characteristics of EVERY airplane.  You
don't have to wear a chute to spin, but it makes you feel soooo much
more comfortable.  The chute won't help if you don't have the altitude and
presence to use it.

Now for todays mind teaser. What is the relationship between the four
forces of flight (lift, drag, thrust and gravity) during a stabilized
constant airspeed climb?  This IS a trick question.  Reference the FAA
commercial written test for the actual wording of the FAA's version of the
the question and the publication "Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators" for
the "book solution".

Ted Spitzmiller

john@gcc-bill.ARPA (John Allred) (09/06/85)

[munch, munch]

Well, if it is a constant airspeed climb, there is no acceleration in the
thrust/drag axis, so thrust=drag.  And, given a constant density atmosphere,
lift=gravity.

But I have some misgivings ... this seems too easy.  What is the answer?

--
John Allred
General Computer Company

curt@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Curt Dodds) (09/16/85)

In article <301@gcc-bill.ARPA> brad@gcc-bill.UUCP (Brad Parker) writes:
>In article <2295@sdcrdcf.UUCP> curt@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Curt Dodds) writes:
>>At an airshow here in Oxnard, CA I watched Bob Herendeen perform an
>>inverted FLAT spin having 24 turns.  Obviously SOME people even enjoy
>>inverted spins!
>
>Wow - nice trick. What kind of plane was he driving? Better yet, how
>was the recovery?

A Pitts S2A (I think) and the recovery, like the rest of his performance,
was terrific.

S. Curt Dodds
sdcrdcf!irdmega!curt