[net.aviation] spins and SKIDS

fredc@bmcg.UUCP (Fred Cordes) (09/16/85)

Sorry about the mis-information. I dug a book on glider instruction to
verify that the stall-spin condition I referred to occurs from skids,
not slips. The "under the bottom" on final is the situation I was trying
to reference.

As for 40 degree flaps blanking the tail, I was told that by 2 instructors
(I flew with with 5 instructors in 4 years before I got my ticket...) that
this condition occurred and was the reason for limiting 152's to 30 degrees
max. I can't find anything in the manuals either but I'll keep looking.

I was alos told that a 150 cannot climb with 40 degrees flaps down. I have
had the experiance of having the flaps go to full down on takeoff. The limit
switches were bad and I had set the flaps for 10 degrees for short field
takeoff. The instr. was with me (he's not the one that warned me) and noticed
that we weren't climbing- from looking outside by the way. We had enough
altitude to do a 180 and land on the same runway. We were weren't climbing
well at all, but we were climbing. It was fairly close to "std day" conditions
so I cannot account for it due to den alt.

I've tended to believe all of my instructors, but they do differ a lot on
theory and practice. The gent who rents his 150 to me these days has been
flying more than 40 years, and refuses to use more than 20 degrees flaps
on approach (his tires...) and instructed me to (biennial) use long low
approaches with power. He called my high, gliding, incremental flap
patterns "Aeronca landings". So now I end up with a high approach and only
20 degrees flaps and usually have to slip the plane a lot to get it down.
I may not appear too proficient but it sure is fun!

fred cordes

cfiaime@ihnp3.UUCP (Jeff Williams) (09/20/85)

Oh the perennial Cessna 150 flap question.  (This is a bit of a
flame because of instructors who DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING
ABOUT!)

The Cessna 150 has 40 degrees of flaps using the same basic planform
as the L-19 flap (except the L-19 had 60 degrees).  These are a
single slotted modified Fowler, either electric or manual depending on
the year of the airplane.  There are NO aerodynamic problems that arise
from using the full 40 degrees of flap available on a Cessna 150.
The "Avoid Slips With Full Flaps Extended" placard applies to the Cessna
172.

On the 172, if you slip with full flaps using full rudder and necessary
aileron to match the rudder input with an aft CG, you will get an
uncommanded pitch oscillation of up to 5 degrees.  The pitch oscillation
is annoying, not dangerous.  Hence the placard.

On the Cessna Para-lift Flap (and that is a trademark, however I haven't
seen them use the term for a while), the first 20 degrees give a dramatic
increase of lift with little increase of drag.  The last 20 degrees
give an increase of drag with almost no increase of lift.  Therefore,
when you use 10 to 20 degrees of flaps for landing, you are going to
INCREASE your landing distance because your airplane is going to FLOAT.
And if you are a typical pilot who adds 10 knots for wife and kids, you
are going to float a LONG WAY.  Especially on a hot day.  (Oh why don't
people fly the recommended speeds for landing?)  As an example, there was
a Doctor (comments aside) who managed to put a brand new Cessna 172
through the fence at the end of the 5000 foot runway by adding 25 knots
to the recommended final approach speed, and using 10 degrees of flaps.
Moral of the story:  use the recommended final approach speed and FULL
flaps (or 0 flaps if in a HEAVY crosswind).

As for the fact that the new 172 and the 152 have only 30 degrees of
flap is because of the high accident rate with the 40 degree flap.
Not in the landing phase, but in go arounds.  It seems that very few
people know that the airplane WILL climb with full flaps, but that you
need to hold your speed at the BOTTOM of the green arc.  The climb
is sluggish and you may need to land off airport (assuming a flap
retraction failure), but you will not have an airplane that will
refuse to climb.  (This, of course, depends on density altitude, engine
condition, and pilot technique.  There are some density altitudes that
the airplane will not climb no matter what you do.  Like above the
service ceiling altitude.)

As for the gentleman who was criticized for his "Aeronca landings,"
the fact that you now have to make massive slips to land shows that
the technique you were taught is wrong.  Hasn't your instructor heard
of stabilized approaches?

As for instructors, it is easy to lose touch with currant thinking
on subjects aeronautical.  Many instructors renew their ratings by
showing past performance of students.  An instructor should attend a
refresher clinic every couple of years, or spend some time with the
FAA on new techniques.  (My CFI gets renewed annually when I take my
CAP Chief Check Pilot ride with the FAA.  The oral for the ride takes
around 3 hours, typically talking of problem areas such as flap misusage
or takeoff techniques.)

I am open for private mail or public discussion on any of the topics
raised here.

				jeff williams
				ihnp3!cfiaime

jeq@laidbak.UUCP (Jonathan E. Quist) (09/22/85)

In article <1877@bmcg.UUCP> fredc@bmcg.UUCP (Fred Cordes) writes:
>As for 40 degree flaps blanking the tail, I was told that by 2 instructors
>(I flew with with 5 instructors in 4 years before I got my ticket...) that
>this condition occurred and was the reason for limiting 152's to 30 degrees
>max. I can't find anything in the manuals either but I'll keep looking.

A while back, I mentioned this problem with my 1961 172.
The first time I tried 40 degrees flaps, the tail
kicked out to one side.  The previous owner tells
me that he had this problem at first, until he figured out
that when he was pulling full flaps (this bird has
manual flaps with a __long__ handle) he was twisting a bit in his
seat and his feet were moving on the pedals.

Soo, next time I was up, I again tried a 40 degree landing,
paying close attention to my feet.  Sure enough,
the tail stayed straight, and she landed slow as can be.

I did notice a bit of pitch oscillation, which the manuals
do mention, but it was not what I would call objectionable.

Jonathan E. Quist
ihnp4!laidbak!jeq, jeq@N7656X
``I deny this is a disclaimer.''