[net.aviation] Check out for renting planes?

mls@harpo.UUCP (10/08/85)

What has been your experience of what is required for renting
an airport from an FBO who des not know you?  Is a logbook
required?  I assume they wuld want to see you medical and license.

Irv McNair

cfiaime@ihnp3.UUCP (J. Williams) (10/09/85)

In article <2808@harpo.UUCP> mls@harpo.UUCP writes:
>What has been your experience of what is required for renting
>an airport from an FBO who des not know you?  Is a logbook
>required?  I assume they wuld want to see you medical and license.

Typically, an FBO will want to see:
	Proof of a Biennial Flight Review
	License
	Medical
	Occasionally the Radio Operator's Certificate even though
		it is no longer required.

During your "1 hour" checkride for insurance purposes, you will be asked
about the airplane and other goodies.  The CFI will want to sign your
logbook, so bring that along, too.  The CFI will probably look at how
much flying you have logged (as opposed to those unlogged hours), and
what type of flying you do.  Also be prepared to sign some sort of
rental agreement.

If I am flying from one FBO on the field, and go to another that knows
me, I typically expect no check ride, or a very limited check ride.
Also, if I am checked out in a larger airplane in the fleet at a given
FBO, I will refuse to take a ride in a smaller one.  (Having the ATP
and CFI ratings help here.)  Additionally, I refuse to take a ride with
someone less qualified than I, simply because it typically is a waste
of my money.  The local FBOs know this, and I have had no trouble with
this attitude.

				jeff williams
				AT&T Bell Laboratories
				ihnp3!cfiaime

bl@hplabsb.UUCP (10/10/85)

> What has been your experience of what is required for renting
> an airport from an FBO who des not know you?  Is a logbook
> required?  I assume they wuld want to see you medical and license.
>
> Irv McNair

My experience is that the FBO wants to see your license, medical, and
log book (to prove currency).  Also, a flight check with three landings
is usually required (for insurance reasons) in a plane that you are
familiar with.