[net.aviation] JAL crash

malutza@daemen.UUCP (%> Zapzigon <%) (10/22/85)

                In a news report,it came out from
Japan saying,"That the reason the jumbo jet (a 767)
crashed which killed 540 people,was because of an
mysterious impact on the tail of the plane.
    But that night at about 2am EDT,meteorite showers
occurred and were sighted in the Western N.Y..

~~~~

Q: If it is 2am in EDT it is 3pm Japanese Daylight Time.
   Was the the JAL reported missing from radar at about the
   12pm- 2pm?

~~~~~

  And a day later in California there were reports of meteorites
fall to the ground and producing some brush fires.

                                Lee Kiefer
--
^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
                       Roman Malutza,Leroy Kiefer and Kieth Lemberg

UUCP: {decvax,dual,watmath,rockvax,rocksanne}!sunybcs!daemen!malutza

  "Any statement just made are not mine,this computer must of
                         mistaken me for some low I.Q moron".
P.S. Feel free anyways for any response to the posting to this confused
     newsite!!!! -->>> Address :: !sunybcs!daemen!malutza

fung@daemen.UUCP (Kenneth Worzel Fung) (10/22/85)

> Q: If it is 2am in EDT it is 3pm Japanese Daylight Time.
>    Was the the JAL reported missing from radar at about the
>    12pm- 2pm?
>
> ~~~~~

	If it is 2am in Eastern then try doing this way:
  | Japan | Bering | Alaska | Yukon | Pacific | Mount. | Central | Eastern |
  | 7 pm. | 8 pm.  | 9 pm.  | 10 pm | 11 pm.  | 12 mid | 1 am.   | 2 am.   |

>   And a day later in California there were reports of meteorites
> fall to the ground and producing some brush fires.

	So what. There's fires all over the world, it doesn't mean anything.
	10% of all meterorites that survive can do any type of damage.

	Anyway, the report states that the tail section had its rear door
	seal brake, ripping the door off its hinges, and striking the tail.
	A meteorite to do such damage has to be at least a good half a ton,
	and would have been detected on radar.
	(Anything less would burn up and not cause that type of damage.)

	Nice try, but the argument is a tad lame.
--
          		Kenneth "Worzel" Fung

		"For the Eternal Space--Mobile Suit Gundam"

UUCP : {decvax/dual/rocksanne/watmath/rocksvax} !sunybcs!daemen!fung

	"...to be destroyed by an Earthling, a mere girl, an American even,
	would make him the laughing stock of the Universe!"

mat@amdahl.UUCP (Mike Taylor) (10/25/85)

> > Q: If it is 2am in EDT it is 3pm Japanese Daylight Time.
> >    Was the the JAL reported missing from radar at about the
> >    12pm- 2pm?
> >
> > ~~~~~
>
> 	If it is 2am in Eastern then try doing this way:
>   ==========================================================================
>   | Japan | Bering | Alaska | Yukon | Pacific | Mount. | Central | Eastern |
>   --------------------------------------------------------------------------
>   | 7 pm. | 8 pm.  | 9 pm.  | 10 pm | 11 pm.  | 12 mid | 1 am.   | 2 am.   |
>   ==========================================================================

    You forgot a few time zones.  There is an 11 hour difference between
    JDT and PDT (also the date line, so actually +24-11 or +13).

> >   And a day later in California there were reports of meteorites
> > fall to the ground and producing some brush fires.
> >
> 	So what. There's fires all over the world, it doesn't mean anything.
> 	10% of all meterorites that survive can do any type of damage.
>
> 	Anyway, the report states that the tail section had its rear door
> 	seal brake, ripping the door off its hinges, and striking the tail.
             _____?
        The cause has not yet been officially determined. The above is
        one of several theories.

> 	A meteorite to do such damage has to be at least a good half a ton,
> 	and would have been detected on radar.
> 	(Anything less would burn up and not cause that type of damage.)

        A fast-moving meteorite of a few pounds could easily cause that
        kind of damage.  It would have the same energy as a cannon shell.

> 	Nice try, but the argument is a tad lame.
> --
>           		Kenneth "Worzel" Fung

        Before you pick on somebody, you should get your facts at least as
        straight as he did.
--
Mike Taylor                        ...!{ihnp4,hplabs,amd,sun}!amdahl!mat

[ This may not reflect my opinion, let alone anyone else's.  ]

mat@amdahl.UUCP (Mike Taylor) (10/25/85)

>     You forgot a few time zones.  There is an 11 hour difference between
>     JDT and PDT (also the date line, so actually +24-11 or +13).
              ___
              I meant EDT as in tyhe original posting. Finger trouble.
--

ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) (11/03/85)

> That's not the whole story.  According to Aviation Week, Boeing has accepted
> responsibility for an inadequate repair job after said botched landing.

More details please.  Last I heard, Boeing had agreed to pay "damages"
on the assumption that they might have been responsible, with the
understanding that if the investigation eventually exonerates them,
they get their money back.

john@gcc-milo.ARPA (John Allred) (11/06/85)

In article <4515@alice.UUCP> ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) writes:

>More details please.  Last I heard, Boeing had agreed to pay "damages"
>on the assumption that they might have been responsible, with the
>understanding that if the investigation eventually exonerates them,
>they get their money back.

The details are a bit fuzzy in my head, but I seem to remember Boeing admitting
that the rivets on the repair plate didn't go all the way through the 3-layer
plate.  The end result was metal fatigue (remember, the 747SR has high take-
off/landing cycling): the plate let loose, and various chunks of metal started
flying around.
--
John Allred
General Computer Company