[net.aviation] Looking for 1st plane info...

jpj@mss.UUCP (J. P. Jenal) (11/04/85)

Greetings - I am a fairly new (7/21) Private Pilot and I am looking into
the possibility of purchasing a plane.  At present I am leaning toward a
used 172 - most of my time is in 152's so the transition would be
reasonably simple.  What is the best way to go about getting into small
plane ownership?  I will be ordering the AOPA used plane book, what other
advice could the mighty net readership pass on to this novice?  Are clubs a
good way to go?  How do you find out about same?  Likewise w/partnerships.
I am a teacher w/limited funds so money is definitely an object.

Of course, if there is sufficient interest I will condense and post a
summary.  Thank you for your time and support...

Cheers...

	Jim Jenal		(aka ...!scgvaxd!mss!jpj)
	Mayfield Senior School	( "  ...!ihnp4!mss!jpj)

cfiaime@ihnp3.UUCP (J. Williams) (11/07/85)

In article <56@mss.UUCP> jpj@mss.UUCP (J. P. Jenal) writes:
>Greetings - I am a fairly new (7/21) Private Pilot and I am looking into
>the possibility of purchasing a plane.  At present I am leaning toward a
>used 172 - most of my time is in 152's so the transition would be
>reasonably simple.  What is the best way to go about getting into small
>plane ownership?

Ah, yes, the first airplane.  Like a first love, it may be a bittersweet
experience, but one never forgotten.  (My, the flight instructor is
waxing somewhat poetical!)

Anyway, there are three major ways to own an airplane (and not join a
club).  Single owner, partnership, and leaseback.

Single owner:  this is the best in terms of airplane flexibility.  But,
your breakeven point is around 200 hours a year (if you are into such
things).  All expenses are paid by you.  But, all of the fun is yours, too.

Partnership:  it works with the right partner.  Consider this to be like
a marriage.  It is quite stressful if you are not TOTALLY compatible with
your partners.

Leaseback:  all of the advantages of renting without the advantages of
ownership (with tax breaks because you are a business).  Watching someone
else fly your airplane is like helping someone violate your spouse.  Not
good for a first airplane, really.

On a personal note, airplane 1, Cessna N6914G (1971 C-150), was a lease
back arrangement.  Airplane 2, Luscombe N2239K, was private ownership that
I let others fly (and crash).  Airplane 3, Taylorcraft N43910, was a
partnership.  Last, but not least, Funk N24120 (aka Phoebe), is sole
private ownership that no one flys right now (seeing that it was damaged
in a hail storm and has not been recovered yet).

In choosing your airplane, be careful not to buy more than you need.
If most of your flying (85% or better) is by yourself or with one other,
don't buy a four seat airplane.  For the occasional trip requiring more
seats, rent the "Sunday going to meeting" airplane.  Remember, your family
may not always fly with you.

May I suggest that you order a subscription of Trade-A-Plane.  If you
do find an airplane, make sure that you look it over with a friendly
A&P.  Probably the best start would be to start looking over shops in
your area and meeting the mechanics.  If you are serious, your airplane
will find you in just a few weeks.

					jeff williams
					AT&T Bell Laboratories
					ihnp3!cfiaime