[net.aviation] Auto Engined Aircraft - mistakes in my earlier posting

markmo@tekig4.UUCP (Mark Morland) (11/19/85)

--------
>I'm interested in auto engine conversions for aircraft.  There was a
>Funk model that was CERTIFIED by the CAA with a Ford V8.  I don't know
>the model or the year (pre '40?).

I reviewed the reference for the FUNK, there was a '38 model powered
by a Model A Ford engine, which would be an inline 4.

The certified flathead Ford V8 airplane name escapes me.

Mark Morland   tektronix!tekig4!markmo

cfiaime@ihnp3.UUCP (J. Williams) (11/20/85)

In article <406@tekig4.UUCP> markmo@tekig4.UUCP (Mark Morland) writes:
>--------
>>I'm interested in auto engine conversions for aircraft.  There was a
>>Funk model that was CERTIFIED by the CAA with a Ford V8.  I don't know
>>the model or the year (pre '40?).
>
>I reviewed the reference for the FUNK, there was a '38 model powered
>by a Model A Ford engine, which would be an inline 4.

The Funk "B" was built from 1938 through at least early 1940 with
the Funk "E" engine.  The Funk engine was made by taking a Ford model
A engine, adding Thompson valves, Plymouth pistons, a different head,
and inverting it.  I think that 60 of these engines were built.  Several
are still flying.

The Funk has a very proud history.  It is the first tunnel radiator water
cooled airplane ever.  It also was one of the stall/spin resistant
airplanes ever put into production.

Joe and Howard Funk were originally glider pilots.  Their first airplane
was one of the world's first two-place gliders.  They built the airplanes
in the back of the family produce store in Akron, Ohio.  At first, the
Funk was powered by a Szekley radial engine of dubious quality.  There
were no decent light plane engines around at the time.  (The Continental
A-40 was just entering production, the Aeronca E-113 did not have
enough power and broke crankshafts.)  After about the tenth landing because
of an engine failure, the Funks built their own engine.

During the late 1930's, the government was looking for a safe airplane
for private flying.  Serial number 2 was purchased by the government as
part of the program.  (This airplane is still flying in California.  The
only modification to the engine is the exhaust pipe was lengthened to
keep the side of the airplane clean.)

There were around 400 built, of which 50% are still flying or in
restoration.  I own number 46 (built 3/6/40 with the "E" engine), and
number 325 (which crashed doing aerobatics and is used for parts.)

For more information, you can look up "It's a Funk" by G. Dale Beach.
By the way, Joe and Howard are still living in Coffeyville, Kansas.
Joe owns a Breezy and a Blanik glider.

					jeff williams
					ihnp3!cfiaime
					AT&T Bell Laboratories