[net.aviation] Falcon-Piper Crash

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (11/22/85)

In article <16900022@hpfcmt.UUCP> ron@hpfcla.UUCP writes:
>I would also offer the suggestion to call the media involved if you
>find glaring impossibilities/inaccuracies. Eventually they might get the
>message.

Just as a rather blatant example: We have all seen and been bombarded
over the past week or so with exhaustive and repetitive coverage of the
Geneva summit. I tend to watch the TV newscasts by flicking between the
different networks' broadcasts, so I often see the same incident or
event covered by different news organizations. The differences in their
reports are astounding. For example, in the summit, a media event if
there ever was one, with thousands of reporters and news technicians,
people busily taking notes, hundreds of tape recorders rolling, two
different networks will report the exact same one-line statement by some
political figure *differently*!!! That is, the words quoted will differ!

If they can't get their acts together well enough to relate accurately a
simple string of 10 or a dozen words [remember, if different
organizations report the same thing differently, we cannot tell which,
if ANY of them, are right, unless we happen to be eyewitnesses
ourselves], how can they be trusted to report a complicated incident
like a mid-air collision or aircraft incident?

In other words, don't ever believe ANYTHING based on the news...

Will