[net.aviation] ultra-lights

sutter@osu-eddie.UUCP (Bob Sutterfield) (11/18/85)

> Does anyone out there know anything about ultra-light "airplanes"?
> I would like info on like:  cost, safety, ease of use (like do you
> need a big place for a runway), regulations, etc.
> Thanks.
>
> jsl@ciprnet.princeton    or
> ...allegra!princeton!ivy!jsl

Before any other considerations, don't go anywhere near one without
three-axis control.  Be @b(very) leery of any weight-shift "control system".
I have seen an ultralight bent by pilot-induced oscillations and overcontrol
on takeoff.  The craft was not a pretty sight, nor was the person on board.
I don't know how long he was in the hospital.

Even with three-axis control, I'm not so sure...
--
    Human: Bob Sutterfield
           Facilities Management Division

bryan@fluke.UUCP (Bryan Sparrowhawk) (11/23/85)

In article <825@osu-eddie.UUCP> sutter@osu-eddie.UUCP (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
>> Does anyone out there know anything about ultra-light "airplanes"?
>> cost, safety, ease, runway, regulations, etc.
>>
>> jsl@ciprnet.princeton    or
>> ...allegra!princeton!ivy!jsl

>... don't go anywhere near one without three-axis control.  Be
>@b(very) leery of any weight-shift "control system".  I have seen an
>ultralight bent by pilot-induced oscillations and overcontrol on
>takeoff....
>
>Even with three-axis control, I'm not so sure...
>
>--
>    Bob Sutterfield
>    Ohio Cooperative Extension Service, Computer Management Group
>    ...cbosgd!osu-eddie!sutter.UUCP

Maybe it would help if a person that has actually done some of it
all, puts in his two cents ... like me.

I began my "formal" flying about 3.5 years ago by approximately
simultaneously "soloing" in the usual C-150, and also in a Kasperwing
ultralight ... where the yoke is "elevator-fixed" and you move your body
toward/away from it for pitch control.

Cost:
You can find them for $1000 used to $13,000 new.  Do at least a partial
teardown before buying a used one, if you can.  I would never spend
$13,000 on an ultralight!

I share an ultralight with three other people.  With that arrangement,
we have the craft, a formal set of bylaws and operating rules, a
minimal hangar, a parachute, and a private place to fly, ...  all for a
total investment of about $1400 each.  The purchase price of the used
machine (60 hours) was $4200, three+ years ago.  Running expenses are
gasoline/oil, maintenance, etc and are very minimal.  You will find the
total cost per hour varies radically, depending upon how much fly time
you put in the ultralight.  Most people, including me and my comrades,
have a rather poor $/hr rate; $35-$70/hour due to those few hours a
year that we actually fly.  The thrill per dollar per hour rate exceeds
anything reasonable that I can think of ... even at that rate!  Have
you considered the cost in TIME you will spend on your ultralight??  It
will probably cost you your marriage, too (seriously)!

Safety:
It ALL depends on you.  If you are a self-confident conservative
coward, like me, you will be able to buzz around for a long time
without a hitch.  I compare it to riding a horse.  If you know what you
are doing, know your animal, tighten the cinch, look out for low limbs,
know where the gopher holes are, snakes etc., and don't ride in the
center of roads, rodeos or electrical storms, you will probably only
fall off a few times  (none for me .. so far  ... but I'm planning on
it!).  Engine failures?  I keep changing the plug 'needlessly' and
monitor engine temperature religiously.  All I really fear is a
pissed-off farmer!

Fly a craft design that has a good blood line ...  and then don't blame
anyone or anything else for your mishaps.  Become competent.
Know/follow the FARs.  Know what makes things fly (start by making
paper airplanes and by throwing cats off of roofs  :-) etc).  Maybe
solo in a 'real' airplane first.  Take a ground school class so that
you know enough to stay away from cumulonimbi, TCAs, active MTRs and
ILS approaches etc.  Read ALL of the accident/mishap reports that are
available ... that is a real key!

I have witnessed a beginner that I was coaching, do a 50 ft AGL
departure 'stall' in the Kasperwing ultralight.  This particular
machine (a highly reflexed flying wing design) turned what would have
been a death dive with an ordinary machine .. into a forward mush ...
no abrupt roll, no altitude loss ... nothing.  Dual instruction is the
only way to go, especially in less forgiving three-axis craft ...
including Cessnas, 707s etc.

It isn't even slightly as gloomy as the media and the safety sermons
paint ...  but go ahead and take it all to heart ... it will do you
good.  I know a lot of people that fly ultralights with various degrees
of caution.  Some of them I consider to be crazy and yet, I only rarely
hear of serious and fatal injury accidents in other parts of the
world.  Those people must really fly crazy!  The only accidents I have
been close to are minor and usually happen to raw beginners and to the
overly confident.  Get dual instruction, especially if you haven't
'grown up' with aviation.

For me, a weekend of ultralighting in reasonable weather is the
risk-equivalent to a weekend ski trip.  Read the accident reports and
judge for yourself what risk category you are in.

Use a parachute.  Balistic chutes have VERY fast deployment ($1000+).
Hand throw chutes are more reliable IF you keep your head ($500).  Fly
high (1000+ ft).

Ease:
In my opinion, all of the ultralights that I have flown are
easier/simpler to handle than the general aviation vehicles with the
exception of the power plants.  Maintenance is a chore that you must do
yourself.  Be good at it.

I highly recommend that you not plan on keeping your "rag and tube"
ultralight folded up in your garage, haul it out to the patch, assemble
it, and then fly it.  First of all, that gets old FAST.  More
important, I consider that to be one of the most unsafe practices in
ultralighting (... followed closely by letting your machine sit
outside, subject to the elements .. hidden corrosion .. ultraviolet
decomposition of the dacron sail .. theft/vandalism .. etc).  Sure, a
perfect preflight check will turn up all of the missing parts and
miscellaneous transit damage... but nobody does a perfect preflight.
There is too much risk of causing fresh undetected faults by constant
vehicle disruption ..  ordinary reliability theory will tell you that.
Occasional tear-down for fatigue/wear inspection is a must!

Runway:
We use a 1000 ft mowed strip in the middle of a grass mix field that is
harvested for cattle feed.  I like to mow the strip as narrow as I can
stand it ...  it is more fun to try to land that way.  There is
plenty of tall-grass margin on both sides of the strip (>200 ft) that
will bring us to a quick stop if we goof!

Worming in and out of a little 300 ft. strip with obstacles, will get
to you eventually.   It is very important to have no obstacles in/near
your departure path that you will hit if your engine quits at any point
during takeoff.   Your two-cycle engine will quit on you ... bet on
it!  It's no big deal if you have already planned on it.  You can make
the world's tightest loop around a power line, just before your spars
vaporize!  The only dangerous obstacle that we have to deal with on our
patch is a lawsuit-happy horse owner that will certainly kill us if we
get near his property.

You haven't appreciated wind gradients until you have flown an
ultralight.  Approach slopes vary widely, even on gentle days!  If you
get caught in some air that is merely light turbulence for a C-150, you
will appreciate every foot in every direction down there that you can
find (however you will do better than you think)!

Watch out for environmental features that can create rotors.  One that
will make your 172 twist a bit will set you on your ear in an
ultralight.  You don't want that to happen when you are near the
ground.

Regulations:
Ordinary aviation and ultralights (Air Recreational Vehicles (ARVs) in
the regs.) are respectively, analogous to automobiles and bicycles.
Bicycles are not allowed on freeways.  Ultralights are not allowed in
TCAs etc.  Every now and then you hear of some ignorant child causing
someone to swerve to avoid collision.  There are many fatalities and
skinned knees.  Bicycle riders have been known to get ticketed.
Automobile drivers get nailed more often, though.  The big flaw in the
bicycle analogy is that, somehow, bicycles get more respect than
ultralights.  I think it is due to the newness of ultralights that the
snobbery has been generated; bicycles have been grandfathered into
society.

A brief rundown of FAR part 103 ...
    An ARV is:
	* under 254 pounds empty excluding floats and safety equipment
	    (* under 150 pound if a hang glider)
	* 25 Kts max stall speed
	    (by formula or demonstrated)
	* Max speed, full throttle level flight: 55 Kts
	    (by formula or demonstrated)
	* 5 gallons max fuel capacity
	* not permitted to have an airworthiness certificate
	    (for some legal reason that is important, I guess)

    You may NOT:
	* fly over populated areas (which could be one complaining person)
	* fly over Ronald Reagan or near Cape Canaveral near launch time!
	    (a loophole that was recently fixed, silently and quickly)
	* be VFR "on top" (constant ground reference required)
	* fly at night
	* fly in controlled airspace (no IFR, TCAs, ATAs, >18K altitude etc)
	* have any right of way over any other air vehicle

I am sure I forgot something ... I didn't repeat the entire set of regs
here.

The differences in control are definite but not extreme FOR ME.  I
exaggerate "FOR ME" because I had the opportunity to 'first-learn' two
different control methods, full three-axis ... and the weight shift
hybrid.  In contrast, I have (still) a friend who has had the standard
three-axis reflexes for several years, and now 'flys' the weight-shift
hybrid Kasperwing.  He has had more difficulty with the 'wing' than any
other of the five people who have flown it ... and he is the only
seasoned pilot in the group!  The problem exists when situations arise
that cause his adrenaline to flow, and the 'first-learned' reflexes take
over, resulting in reversal of intended pitch control.  (Keep in mind
that as you fold your elbows in a C-150, you head up, in a Kasperwing,
the opposite will happen.)  This is the primary reason why you should
stick with the system that you first learned ... and that is yet
another reason why three-axis is so popular.

I have seen another "experienced" pilot attempt to fly a totally weight
shift 'Wizard' ultralight.  His problem was primarily that of first
learned reflexes and a considerable amount of overconfidence that
discouraged any INSTRUCTION.  I mean ... after all ... :-)  "After 2000
hours, with an IFR multi-engine airline transport rated commercial
whizbang triple kamakaze endorsement and a whole pile of engine
failures to his record, he ought to be teaching people to fly the
"simple little thing"!!  I saw the first two-in-a-row of his
self-induced mishaps.   I wonder if he is still alive.

All in all, I would advise medium to high-time pilots to stay away from
weight shift ultralights.  They have difficulty handling them for the
reasons stated above.  This is not meant as a gouge.  Ultralights are
different enough to catch you by suprise, unless you take the time to
'sneak up' on them.  It is nice to have the versatility of three axis
control but it is not necessary.

Miscellaneous:

    If you expect something useful from an ultralight, forget it.  If
    you like cats, you probably have the right frame of mind!  :-)

    If you don't have a knack for those damn two cycle engines, then
    wait until a more reliable power plant (that you can afford)
    becomes available, with the same power to weight ratio as
    2-strokes.

    If you don't have mechanical sense and don't like to tinker lots
    and lots, don't bother.  There are NO reliable ultralight A&Ps to
    "take care of it" for you.  You must be "one" with your machine.

    If you have a "show-off" tendency ... definitely don't get into an
    ultralight, the news media will enjoy your death at the expense of
    a perfectly reasonable sport.

    Thoroughbred horse owners/trainers are deathly afraid of
    ultralights.  The horses couldn't care less!  (Truth and sarcasm
    from a semi-private delemma that I am involved with!)  Carry
    liability insurance for protection from societal leaches and
    bleeding-heart juries.

    I fly the ultralight for the joy of experiencing flight!
	(hang gliding ... even more so!)
    I fly the spam-can if I want to impress someone!
    I drive, if I want to get there!

Disclaimer:     My views do not reflect those of the Boeing Company  ...
		... especially due to the fact that I have never been
		employed there.

brad@gcc-milo.ARPA (Brad Parker) (11/27/85)

In article <1026@vax2.fluke.UUCP> bryan@fluke.UUCP (Bryan Sparrowhawk) writes:
>I have witnessed a beginner that I was coaching, do a 50 ft AGL
>departure 'stall' in the Kasperwing ultralight.  This particular
>machine (a highly reflexed flying wing design) turned what would have
>been a death dive with an ordinary machine .. into a forward mush ...
>no abrupt roll, no altitude loss ... nothing.  Dual instruction is the
>only way to go, especially in less forgiving three-axis craft ...
>including Cessnas, 707s etc.

If a Cessna is "less forgiving", you must be able to fly these things blind
folded. Most cessnas (150-172's) will take off and land with no hands given
correct trim. Personally, I wouldn't fly anything which had an uncertified
airframe. The damn thing could fold up when you least expect it. (those
4 g barrel rolls can play hell on the aluminum struts ;-)

Whether or not to fly ultralights seems to be based more on "religion" than
on fact. I'll fly one when it can accend at more than 1000 fpm.

--

J Bradford Parker
seismo!harvard!gcc-bill!brad

"Syntactic sugar causes cancer of the semicolon." - Alan Perlis