[net.aviation] got any Skymaster anecdotes?

fredc@bmcg.UUCP (Fred Cordes) (12/03/85)

I found a lonely 337 Cessna sitting in the weeds at a local airport and
became curious about the history of the Skymaster. This is the one with
the Push-Me-Pull-You engine arangement, two engines mounted fore and aft
on the fuselage. It has twin tail booms, high wing, 6 seats and about 400
horsepower.

I looked up the 337 in a Consumer Aviation Used A/C Guide from 1981. They say:
poor resale, low power, maintenance hog, ARC radios..., and a spotty safety
record. The plane were built from 1964 to the late 70's and metamophosed from
fixed gear light twin to pressurized, turbo charged quarter megabuck chariot.

I haven't found any owners to talk to and I sure can't afford to buy a twin.
But I'd like to know if anyone has any personal experiances and/or stories
about the Skymaster.

For that matter, does anyone remeber what a push-me-pull-you is? A beast
from some childhood memory I think, with two heads and two pairs of front
legs is all that I remember. But it reminds me of the 337.

Fred Cordes

ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) (12/08/85)

> For that matter, does anyone remeber what a push-me-pull-you is? A beast
> from some childhood memory I think, with two heads and two pairs of front
> legs is all that I remember. But it reminds me of the 337.

A Pushme-Pullyou is an antelope-like beast with two front halves
joined at the middle; thus two heads, no tail.  It appears in a
book whose main character is named Dr. Dolittle, but I no longer
remember the exact title or the author.

romain@pyrnj.uucp (Romain Kang) (12/09/85)

In article <4682@alice.UUCP>, ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) writes:
> It appears in a
> book whose main character is named Dr. Dolittle, but I no longer
> remember the exact title or the author.

I believe that was Hugh Lofting.
--
Romain Kang, Pyramid Technology Corporation

US Mail:	900 Route 9, Woodbridge, NJ  07095
Ma Bell:	(201) 750-2626
UUCPnet:	{allegra,cmcl2,pyramid,topaz}!pyrnj!romain

"Eggheads unite! You have nothing to lose but your yolks!" -Adlai Stevenson

jabusch@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU (12/11/85)

	Actually, the Pushme-Pullyou is more of a Llama-like creature
than an antelope.  If you picture both ends of the beast as looking
like the front end of a llama, you will probably be a little closer.

lgl@cbosgd.UUCP (Lionel Lynch) (12/17/85)

A push-me-pull-you??
	Why, isn't that right out of Doctor Doolittle? If I remember
correctly,.. it had spots too.

	-Lionel
	(...!cbosgd!lgl)

brent@poseidon.UUCP (Brent P. Callaghan) (12/19/85)

I believe Cessna had to install the following placard
on the panel:

      "NO SINGLE ENGINE TAKEOFFS"

--

Made in New Zealand -->		Brent Callaghan
				AT&T Information Systems, Lincroft, NJ

cfiaime@ihnp3.UUCP (J. Williams) (12/23/85)

In article <1365@poseidon.UUCP> brent@poseidon.UUCP (Brent P. Callaghan) writes:
>I believe Cessna had to install the following placard
>on the panel:
>
>      "NO SINGLE ENGINE TAKEOFFS"

True.  This is because the 337 had no major vice with one engine out.
Pilots tended to forget that you lose over 80% of your climb with one
engine out.  So they would try a single engine takeoff in the 337 if
they had any sort of engine trouble.  Several made it.  Several made the
obituaries.

It is common knowledge that engines that are running at low idle can
easily stop.  This is true also for the 337.  Common practice on a 337
is to bring the rear engine up to 2000 RPM before adding power to the
front engine so that you know that the rear engine is still running.
Engine failures in flight are noted by checking the EGT.  None of this
macho "dead foot, dead engine" stuff for 337 pilots.

It is a fun airplane, however...
				jeff williams
				AT&T Bell Laboratories
				ihnp3!cfiaime