[net.aviation] No favoritism in Washington Center

marcum@sun.uucp (Alan Marcum) (12/11/85)

From the January _Flying_, in Dick Collins's column:

	Heard over the Washington Center frequency, 125.45, on
	11 September:

		- "Washington Center, Air Force One, requesting
		  lower."
		- "Air Force One, stand by."
		     three minutes elapse
		- "Washington Center, Air Force One, requesting
		  lower."
		- "Unable."

Though you might find it amusing....
--
Alan M. Marcum				Sun Microsystems, Technical Consulting
...!{dual,ihnp4}!sun!nescorna!marcum	Mountain View, California

jlg@lanl.ARPA (12/13/85)

In article <3074@sun.uucp> marcum@sun.uucp (Alan Marcum) writes:
>		- "Washington Center, Air Force One, requesting
>		  lower."
>		- "Air Force One, stand by."
>		     three minutes elapse
>		- "Washington Center, Air Force One, requesting
>		  lower."
>		- "Unable."

I thought Air Force One used a different call sign when the president was
aboard.  Some PBS program had a sequence on Air Force One a little while
back (maybe Smithsonian World) and I'm sure it said that Air Force One went
under a different name depending upon whether the president was aboard.
When the president is not aboard, it still does a lot of flying but gets no
special treatment from controllers.

J. Giles
Los Alamos

john@gcc-milo.ARPA (John Allred) (12/13/85)

In article <34678@lanl.ARPA> jlg@a.UUCP (Jim Giles) writes:

>I thought Air Force One used a different call sign when the president was
>aboard.  Some PBS program had a sequence on Air Force One a little while
>back (maybe Smithsonian World) and I'm sure it said that Air Force One went
>under a different name depending upon whether the president was aboard.
>When the president is not aboard, it still does a lot of flying but gets no
>special treatment from controllers.
>
>J. Giles
>Los Alamos

I remember (rather fuzzily, I admit) that Air Force One goes by N26000 when it
is not carrying the president.
--
John Allred
General Computer Company

ths@lanl.ARPA (12/13/85)

> I thought Air Force One used a different call sign when the president was
> aboard.  Some PBS program had a sequence on Air Force One a little while
> back (maybe Smithsonian World) and I'm sure it said that Air Force One went
> under a different name depending upon whether the president was aboard.
> When the president is not aboard, it still does a lot of flying but gets no
> special treatment from controllers.

As I recall from the Smithsonian program, the situation involving the
resignation of President Nixon created an interesting exchange with ATC.
Nixon left Washington aboard "Air Force One". As they were enroute at the
appointed hour (12:00 Noon I think), the resignation became effective
and Air Force One advised Kansas City or Dallas Center of the change in call
sign to it's tail number.  I taped the program.....now if I can only find
it in my "unlabled library".

Ted Spitzmiller

c55-hc@ucbbuddy.BERKELEY.EDU (Brent Chapman) (12/13/85)

In article <34678@lanl.ARPA> jlg@a.UUCP (Jim Giles) writes:
>I thought Air Force One used a different call sign when the president was
>aboard.  Some PBS program had a sequence on Air Force One a little while
>back (maybe Smithsonian World) and I'm sure it said that Air Force One went
>under a different name depending upon whether the president was aboard.
>When the president is not aboard, it still does a lot of flying but gets no
>special treatment from controllers.

Seems that I remember reading that Air Force One is NOT a specific plane,
but that call sign is given to any aircraft that the President is in.  An
ultra-light, therefore, could technically be "Air Force One".  I'm not
sure whether or not a helicopter carrying him is designated AF1 or not.
Seems probable, as the helicopters, while having Marine Corps guards
and "cabin crew", are owned and flown by the Air Force.

Brent Chapman
ucbvax!ucbugs!chapman

NOTE:  The account this is coming from will die VERY soon, so, if you
	want to send mail, please send it to ucbvax!ucbugs!chapman.

cfiaime@ihnp3.UUCP (J. Williams) (12/14/85)

In article <11224@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> c55-hc@ucbbuddy.UUCP (Brent Chapman) writes:
>In article <34678@lanl.ARPA> jlg@a.UUCP (Jim Giles) writes:
>>I thought Air Force One used a different call sign when the president was
>>aboard.
>
>Seems that I remember reading that Air Force One is NOT a specific plane,
>but that call sign is given to any aircraft that the President is in.

The airplanes that people think of as "Air Force One" are known as SAM
26000 and SAM 27000 when the President is not on board.  These are two
707-321 airplanes (VC-137), somewhat modified, assigned to the 89th
Special Airlift Wing at Andrews AFB, Washington, DC.  An interesting book
on the subject of Presidential aircraft is "Flying Whitehouse" by
Col. Ralph Albertazzi, Nixon's pilot.

"Air Force One" is the callsign for any airplane in the Air Force inventory
that the President is on.  "Army One" and "Marine One" are used when the
President is in a helicopter flown by one of those services.  I assume that
"Navy One" would be used where the President to fly in a Navy controlled
flying machine.

By the way, "Air Force Two" is the callsign for the  airplane used by
the Vice-President.  Typically, this airplane is a VC-9, a modified C-9,
which is nothing more than a DC-9-30 in war paint.

Past Presidential airplanes (with some exceptions) are on display at
the Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio.  Roosevelt's "Sacred Cow" is in
awaiting restoration at the Museum.  Truman's "Independence" and
Eisenhower's "Columbine III" are on display in the Museum Annex.
"Columbine II" was distroyed at Davis-Monthan in the early 1960's.  An
early VC-135 (modified 707) that was used by the Presidents is still in
service with the Air Force.

					jeff williams
					AT&T Bell Laboratories
					ihnp3!cfiaime

john@gcc-milo.ARPA (John Allred) (12/14/85)

In article <11224@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> c55-hc@ucbbuddy.UUCP (Brent Chapman) writes:

>Seems probable, as the helicopters, while having Marine Corps guards
>and "cabin crew", are owned and flown by the Air Force.
>
>Brent Chapman

Nope, the helicopter is flown by marines, and is known as "Marine One".
--
John Allred
General Computer Company
uucp: seismo!harvard!gcc-milo!john

hsu@eneevax.UUCP (Dave Hsu) (12/15/85)

In article <11224@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> c55-hc@ucbbuddy.UUCP (Brent Chapman) writes:
[]
>Seems that I remember reading that Air Force One is NOT a specific plane,
>but that call sign is given to any aircraft that the President is in.  An
>ultra-light, therefore, could technically be "Air Force One".  I'm not
>sure whether or not a helicopter carrying him is designated AF1 or not.
>Seems probable, as the helicopters, while having Marine Corps guards
>and "cabin crew", are owned and flown by the Air Force.
>
>Brent Chapman

The presidential helicopter is most commonly referred to as "Marine One".
-dave
--
David Hsu	Communication & Signal Processing Lab, EE Department
		University of Maryland,  College Park, MD 20742

wcb@mgwess.UUCP (Bill Bruce) (12/17/85)

When the president is aboard any military A/C the correct callsign for that
aircraft is (service)1. There for if it is an Army bird the correct callsign
is ARMY 1. Like wise when the VP flies his callsign is (service)2. If the
first lady is flying without the president than the correct callsign becomes
(service)1A.  The Marine Corps Helos the president flies to and from the white
house belong to and are crewed by Marine Corps Aviators their callsign is
MARINE 1.

					Bill Bruce
					CW4 U.S. Army Reserve
					Comm SMEL Airplane/Helicopter
					Instrument Airplane/helicopter
					CFI Airplane
					AT&T-IS CGBS
					Montgomery Works
					..ihnp4!mgwess!wcb

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (12/18/85)

What I'm not sure I believe about

> From the January _Flying_, in Dick Collins's column:
>
> 	Heard over the Washington Center frequency, 125.45, on
> 	11 September:
>
> 		- "Washington Center, Air Force One, requesting
> 		  lower."  ...

is:  what is Air Force 1 doing on VHF?
--
Doug Pardee -- CalComp -- {hardy,savax,seismo,decvax,ihnp4}!terak!doug

harlan@ZIGGY.UUCP (Harlan Olson) (12/20/85)

> In article <3074@sun.uucp> marcum@sun.uucp (Alan Marcum) writes:
> >		- "Washington Center, Air Force One, requesting
> >		  lower."
> >		- "Air Force One, stand by."
> >		     three minutes elapse
> >		- "Washington Center, Air Force One, requesting
> >		  lower."
> >		- "Unable."
>
> I thought Air Force One used a different call sign when the president was
> aboard.  Some PBS program had a sequence on Air Force One a little while
> back (maybe Smithsonian World) and I'm sure it said that Air Force One went
> under a different name depending upon whether the president was aboard.
> When the president is not aboard, it still does a lot of flying but gets no
> special treatment from controllers.
>
> J. Giles
> Los Alamos

Whenever the president is aboard aircraft it takes the designation as "one".
For example, Air Force One, Navy One, Marine One, Army One etc.  If the
vice president is flying the designation becomes "Two", i.e. Air Force Two.
If the president is not on board but the family is the callsign becomes
Air Force One Foxtrot (AF1F).  When the aircraft assigned to the president
are flying with out the president or the vice president aboard they go by
the tail number. These numbers are in the Special Air Missions number group
(SAM). For example, S26000 is the aircraft the president generally flys.

Harlan Olson
ex-controller
Air Force One Foxtrot (AF1F).  When the plane/s

ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (12/21/85)

> Seems that I remember reading that Air Force One is NOT a specific plane,
> but that call sign is given to any aircraft that the President is in.  An
> ultra-light, therefore, could technically be "Air Force One".  I'm not
> sure whether or not a helicopter carrying him is designated AF1 or not.
> Seems probable, as the helicopters, while having Marine Corps guards
> and "cabin crew", are owned and flown by the Air Force.

The Helicopter used to ferry the president to Andrews AFB is Marine One.
The radio designator for the 707's when not carrying the president is
either SE-26000 or 27000 (I'm not sure of the letter prefix).

-Ron

> What I'm not sure I believe about
> > From the January _Flying_, in Dick Collins's column:
> > 	Heard over the Washington Center frequency, 125.45, on
> > 	11 September:
> > 		- "Washington Center, Air Force One, requesting
> > 		  lower."  ...
> is:  what is Air Force 1 doing on VHF?

	Why not?  Washington Center is an FAA *civilian* air traffic control
operation.  While Washington Center no doubt monitors 243.0 and has other UHF
capability, it is common for military *transport* craft - which have the same
speed and altitude range of civilian craft - to use VHF so that other civilian
aircraft can know what's going on in their airspace.

===  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York        ===
===  UUCP    {decvax,dual,rocksanne,rocksvax,watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry  ===
===  VOICE   716/741-9185                {rice,shell}!baylor!/             ===
===  FAX     716/741-9635 {G1, G2, G3}               ihnp4!/               ===
===                                                                        ===
===                   "Have you hugged your cat today?"                    ===

bretschneide@cache.DEC (Crazy Hawaiian DTN 237-3347) (12/23/85)

With respect to:

> What I'm not sure I believe about ... is:
> What is Air Force 1 doing on VHF?

It seems that at least some military aircraft transmit on both UHF and VHF
simultaneously.  I know this is true at Westover AFB.  It would be
reasonable for Air Force 1 to do this since it readily mixes with civilian
aircraft.

                    Bruce Bretschneider
                Thin Film Heads Engineering

(DEC E-NET)   CACHE::BRETSCHNEIDE
(UUCP)        {decvax,ucbvax,allegra}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-cache!bretscheide
(ARPA)        bretschneide%cache.DEC@decwrl.ARPA

cfiaime@ihnp3.UUCP (J. Williams) (12/26/85)

In article <656@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
>>   what is Air Force 1 doing on VHF?
>
>	Why not?  Washington Center is an FAA *civilian* air traffic control
>operation.  While Washington Center no doubt monitors 243.0 and has other UHF
>capability, it is common for military *transport* craft - which have the same
>speed and altitude range of civilian craft - to use VHF so that other civilian
>aircraft can know what's going on in their airspace.

About the only military aircraft without VHF capability seems to be
Air Force and Navy fighters.  VHF is considered mission essential in
most other aircraft.  I have worked joint missions with Air Force
helicopters where messages were passed on 122.9 and 123.45.  Additionally,
while at Pax River with the Starhawk, we heard P-3's, C-130's, and S-3's
on VHF.  At Fr. Rucker, Alabama, most of the general purpose aircraft
had VHF capability.

All of the FAA installations have UHF capability, simply because the FAA
"owns" the airspace over the United States.  There are sections of the
airspace that are special use, but the FAA has the right to use this
airspace if it needs to.  There are military liason officers assigned to
each Air Route Traffic Control Center, and to many approach control
facilities.  Military flight plans are filed through the FAA just like
civilian flight plans.  Only the military flight plan form requires a
bit more data, such as a passenger manifest.  (It is always alot of fun
to fly out of a military field, simply because of the way base operations
treats flight crew.  The paperwork forces you to really plan your flight,
the way we should do anyway.)

As an aside, if you ever have a chance to visit an ARTCC or tower, do
so.  You will be pleasently suprised at the professionalism of the
controllers.

				jeff williams
				AT&T Bell Laboratories
				ihnp3!cfiaime