[net.aviation] Flying Backward

majka@ubc-vision.UUCP (Marc Majka) (01/09/86)

Please forgive the ignorance of this aviation-non-expert, but why is it
desirable that passengers should sit facing backward?  It has been a good
puzzle to try to figure it out, but I give up!

---
Marc Majka

irwin@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (01/10/86)

So that the BACK OF THE SEAT absorbs the energy of your body coming to
a sudden stop (crash) instead of the seat belt cutting you in two or
breaking and you impact the seat in front of you, face first. (Ouch)

cfiaime@ihnp3.UUCP (J. Williams) (01/11/86)

In article <42@ubc-vision.UUCP> majka@ubc-vision.UUCP (Marc Majka) writes:

>... why is it
>desirable that passengers should sit facing backward?

This has to do with restraining the body during deceleration.  A person
facing foreward has the seat belts holding him/her in place.  With only
a lap belt, there is quite a possibility of internal injury.  Also,
it is easy to hit your head on the seat ahead if you are not in a braced
position.  While facing backwards, the seat itself can absorb much of
the deceleration forces, and the passenger's head can not hit the seat
ahead.

Auto or airplane crash worthiness depends on protecting the passenger
during the few microseconds of deceleration.  Rear facing seats add quite
a bit of survivability to a crash.  However, the American public is
not a bit safety conscience and will not accept something as "weird" as
riding backwards.

					jeff williams
					ihnp3!cfiaime
					AT&T Bell Laboratories

bl@hplabsb.UUCP (01/11/86)

> Please forgive the ignorance of this aviation-non-expert, but why is it
> desirable that passengers should sit facing backward?  It has been a good
> puzzle to try to figure it out, but I give up!

It's so that the passengers won't be frightened to death when they see the
ground rushing up to meet them during a crash. :-)

Actually, the theory is that the human body can withstand higher G forces
if it is distributed evenly along the back side rather than against a
strap (i.e., seat belt).  However, any forces that the plane experiences
where seating backward would help will surely be non-survivable for other
reasons (e.g., the seats will rip lose).  Personally, I feel that backward
seating would be of little value in a crash.  The major killer is fire and
smoke.  Also, a major cause of injuries in an emergency landing are the
passengers tripping over each other while evacuating (or falling out of)
the plane.

E8D@PSUVM.BITNET (01/13/86)

One disadvantage I heard about traveling backwards is that it contributes
to motion-sickness (not that that's been a problem for me anywhere but
in the back of a Beaver.)

Disclaimer: Sorry about the spelling.

  Evan Dresel
  Dept. of Geochemistry                              E8D @ PSUVM (bitnet)
  318 Deike Bldg.               ...!psuvax1!psuvm.bitnet!e8d (uucp <-->
  Penn State University                                 bitnet gateway)
  University Park, PA  16802          e8d%psuvm.bitnet@wiscvm.arpa  (arpa)
  (814) 863-1666