[net.aviation] spoilers/airbrakes

daniel@petrus.UUCP (Daniel W. Nachbar) (01/23/86)

An engineering question --
Most gliders have spoilers. Most simple singles do not.
Is there any good reason for the difference?
Dan Nachbar
BELLCORE -- Morristown, NJ
bellcore!daniel

ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) (01/24/86)

Dan Nachbar noticed that gliders tend to have spoilers and simple singles don't.

I don't know for certain why that is, but I suspect it might be because
most singles today have flaps.  Also, a windmilling prop is draggy
enough that you can descend at a plausible angle without brakes or flaps.

You can now buy a Mooney with speed brakes installed at the factory.

ahv@masscomp.UUCP (Tony Verhulst) (01/24/86)

In article <5@petrus.UUCP> daniel@petrus.UUCP (Daniel W. Nachbar) writes:
>An engineering question --
>Most gliders have spoilers. Most simple singles do not.
>Is there any good reason for the difference?
>Dan Nachbar
>BELLCORE -- Morristown, NJ
>bellcore!daniel

The FAA claims thet the primary purpose of flaps is to increase the rate
of descent without increasing airspeed.  Although this certainly
is true, most of use use flaps because using them on landing lowers the
nose (providing a better view of the runway) and because they lower the touch
touch down speed.

Spoilers increase the rate of descent.  Period.
Sail planes don't need flaps because final approach speed is considerably
higher than cruise speed (weird ain't it?) so the nose is already low
enough to provide good visibility of the runway.  Also, the landing speed
of most sailplanes is in the 40mph ball park so the lower touch down
speeed that flaps provide is not that crucial.

Note that Mooney is offering spoilers as an option on some of their
singles.  It seems that Mooneys are so clean (parasitic drag wise) that
their descent rate wasn't high enough to satisfy air traffic controllers.
Those poor Mooney pilots were going too fast to use flaps (enroute
descents) and couldn't throttle back any further without cooling their
engines too much and were still being requested to increase their rate of
descent.  Now, with the spoilers, the Mooney pilot can throttle back and
fall out of the sky with the rest of us.

OK, so much for the background.   The reason that sailplanes have
spoilers and airplanes don't is because airplanes have throttles and
sailplanes don't. In an airplane, you control your descent on final with
the throttle.  If you are too low on the approach you add power, if you
are too high you decrease power.  This is tough to do in a sailplane.
What you do instead is to initiate the approach a little high and add
a some spoiler.  If you find yourself under shooting the approach, remove
some spoiler.  If too high on the approach, just increase the amount of
spoiler.  So, basically, on final approach the spoiler does for the sailplane
that the throttle does for the airplane.

Incidentally,  besides flying airplanes and sailplanes I also fly
hang gliders (11 years).  For several years I have been pushing for
spoilers on hang gliders.  Hang glider performance has increased
tremendously over the years. Here in the northeast, a typical hang
gliding landing area is the parking lot of a ski resort surrounded
by 70 foot oak trees.  Naturally a parking lot in the woods on a sunny
day is a great thermal generator and the turbulence .... well never mind,
it's too painful.

It's easy to come over the parking lot at tree top level
and get a REAL good look at the trees on the other side before you land.
Some fancy low level turning occurs to stay within the boundaries of the
parking lot (a good glide angle has SOME disadvantages). Spoiler in this
situation could make the difference between an uneventful landing and
parking it in the top of a tree.  We claim that if a New England
hang glider pilot has never landed in a tree, he hasn't been flying
long enough.  Iv'e been flying long enough to land in three trees.

A tree landing is not a bad as it sounds.  Basically, once you know
that you can't reach an open clearing and commit to the tree landing,
you find a bushy tree (Lord spare me from the pointy dead pine trees)
and stall the glider (15-16mph) just ever so slightly above the tree.
The glider will settle in the tree (getting it out bill be discussed
in the next chapter) and you just climb out of the tree.  Out of the
dozens of tree landings I have heard about and seen, I know of only one
injury.  Al Mulazi (connecticut) broke his wrist while climbing out
of a tree he had landed in.

Wow, I started of by answering Dan's spoiler question and kind of
went off on a tangent.

				yours in good flying,

				Tony Verhulst
				treasurer; Windward Kite & Gliding Club
				Private pilot - ASEL
				student - sailplane (35 flights)

cfiaime@ihnp3.UUCP (J. Williams) (01/26/86)

In article <5@petrus.UUCP> daniel@petrus.UUCP (Daniel W. Nachbar) writes:
>An engineering question --
>Most gliders have spoilers. Most simple singles do not.
>Is there any good reason for the difference?
>Dan Nachbar
>BELLCORE -- Morristown, NJ
>bellcore!daniel

			COST!!!

robs@tektools.UUCP (Robert Sleator) (01/26/86)

A sailplane has spoilers to control its glide path.  (Some sailplanes
have 90 degree flaps or drogue chutes instead of spoilers.) Maximum
glide ratios on production sailplanes range from around 23:1 up to one
with a measured 60:1 (the Nimbus 3).  A sailplane pilot usually flies
the pattern with around half spoilers, adjusting them as needed to hit
the runway at the desired spot.  Without spoilers, you would have to
rely on slipping or rearranging your pattern to put the plane
down at the intended point.  And remember, you don't have the option
of going around again.  Without glide path control, a slight
miscalculation at 60:1 and you could wave to your friends on the field
as you made a low pass over the runway and flew into the trees at the
far end.

A power pilot can achieve the same effect as spoilers by adjusting
the throttle.  With engine idling, I think most single engine planes
have glide ratios of less than 10:1.

Robert Sleator
tektronix!tektools!robs

phil@isieng.UUCP (Phil Gustafson) (01/28/86)

In article <4872@alice.UUCP> ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) writes:

>You can now buy a Mooney with speed brakes installed at the factory.

The WWII Taylorcraft spotter plane (I forget the military designation)
had two neat features:  an aft seat that turned backwards, allowing
the spotter to spot through a big greenhouse window; and spoilers.

Between the spoilers and frowrd slip, the sucker could land anywhere.

The aircraft can be certified for civilian use only if both these
features are disabled.

	phil