[net.aviation] Have I Got a Deal For YOU! - Volksrocket

john@anasazi.UUCP (John Moore) (02/13/86)

In article <504@eneevax.UUCP> hsu@eneevax.UUCP (Dave Hsu) writes:
>In article <518@anasazi.UUCP> john@anasazi.UUCP (John Moore) writes:
>>   How about space junk? A friend took me to several surplus stores
>>in southern California, and we found a number of goodies including:
>>console lights from an Apollo capsule, an actuator from a space shuttle,
>>	He has collected, over the years from these sources, a Viking
>>all of the avionics, and a number of miscellaneous rocket engines,
>>>for neat (and cheap) esoteric aviation hardware?
>>John Moore (NJ7E/XE1HDO)
>
>I realize we may be off the beaten path here, but whatever happened to that
>guy who was constructing the VolksRocket X-1?  He picked up almost all of his
>toys from space junkyards...
>
>-dave
>--
>David Hsu	Communication & Signal Processing Lab, EE Department
>hsu@eneevax.umd.edu  {seismo,allegra}!umcp-cs!eneevax!hsu  CF522@UMDD.BITNET
>			-Ernest P. Worrell
The fellow I was referring to is the guidance system designer for Volksrocket.
On one of the trips we were accompanied by Capt. Robert Truax, who is the
man behind the Volksrocket. Truax has an interesting history - he is not
a crank or a mad inventor. He headed the Polaris missile program for the Navy,
and later was president of Rocketdyne. He is a recognized aeronautical
engineer. He is now retired and lives in Palo Alto (or Menlo Park, or
somewhere around there). His Volksrocket project derives from his
early opposition to the space shuttle program. He felt that a pressurized
liquid fuel rocket (as opposed to the turbine driven liquid rockets normally
used) would be a cheaper manned launch vehicle than the Shuttle, even though
the pressurized rocket would not be re-used. He lost the argument in NASA,
so is carrying it on by demonstration. He also understands the value of
publicity - he designed Evil Kneevil's rocket bike, and now the Volksrocket
is a carnival show also, but with an ultimate  purpose of furthering
private enterprise in space.

--
John Moore (NJ7E/XE1HDO)
{decvax|ihnp4|hao}!noao!terak!anasazi!john

The opinions expressed here are obviously not mine, so they must be
someone else's.