[net.aviation] Museum needs planes actually, museums

hsu@eneevax.UUCP (Dave Hsu) (02/14/86)

In article <4184@ut-sally.UUCP> joe@ut-sally.UUCP writes:

> This is a general plea for any information leading to the possible
>acquisition of airplanes, parts, more information, etc. for a new,
>non-profit, aircraft museum soon to open at Hill Air Force Base,
>Ogden, Utah.
> The museum will soon be open to the public at no charge.
>
>We are trying to preserve a big piece of history here for future
>generations.  Thanks in advance.
>
>joe@sally

Best of luck to your project, joe.  For those of you who visit DC,
though, and need to see more than the Air and Space museum has room
for, the Smithsonian's storage facility at Silver Hill, Md used to
give tours; it's been some years since I've been there, but the
complex is basically wall-to-wall aircraft in various states of repair
and preservation; everything from partially-restored cloth-winged
biplanes to the disassembled Enola Gay.  Many of my friends way back in
junior high lost lots of sleep trying to get internships at the site;
repair and restoration goes on continuously.

Perhaps fred@mimsy could tell you more; it's been a while.

-dave
--
David Hsu	Communication & Signal Processing Lab, EE Department
<disclaimer>	University of Maryland,  College Park, MD 20742

"They were the elite, the vanguard of progress.  They would take mankind to
the heights...and perhaps beyond."
			-Arthur C. Clarke, Childhood's End