[net.aviation] Simulated IFR question

mm@vaxine.UUCP (Mark Mudgett) (02/11/86)

[]
Another question for you CFI's (or FAR experts):

I am a student pilot, endorsed for solo cross-country,
(not really true YET, but for the sake of this question ...)
geo has a commercial certificate with an instrument rating.

Is it legal for him to fly as PIC under the hood in VFR conditions,
with me sitting in the right-hand seat looking out for him??
--
------------------------------------
 Mark C. Mudgett

epm0@bunny.UUCP (Erik P. Mintz) (02/11/86)

> I am a student pilot, endorsed for solo cross-country,
> (not really true YET, but for the sake of this question ...)
> geo has a commercial certificate with an instrument rating.
>
> Is it legal for him to fly as PIC under the hood in VFR conditions,
> with me sitting in the right-hand seat looking out for him??

I called the local GADO on this one some time back. The answer I
got was that the safety pilot must be rated such that he COULD
act as pilot in command of the aircraft, except that he need not
be current. This is an interpretation of FAR 91.21(b)1:

       "An appropriately rated pilot occupies the other control
        seat as safety pilot."

The specific question I had was whether a private pilot
could act as safety pilot in a high performance aircraft (Mooney).
The answer was no; he had to be signed off for high performance.
I would conclude from this that student pilots can not be
safety pilot for anyone, because they can not act as pilot in
command of any aircraft with (non-CFI) passengers.

If you want a specific interpretation of your question, you could call
the local FAA. They are listed in my phone book in the US government blue
pages, under Transportation Dept., Federal Aviation..., Flight Standards
District Office (FSDO).
--
		Erik Mintz

ARPA or CSnet : epm0%gte-labs.csnet@csnet-relay
UUCP: ...harvard!bunny!epm0

ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) (02/11/86)

> Another question for you CFI's (or FAR experts):
>
> I am a student pilot, endorsed for solo cross-country,
> (not really true YET, but for the sake of this question ...)
> geo has a commercial certificate with an instrument rating.
>
> Is it legal for him to fly as PIC under the hood in VFR conditions,
> with me sitting in the right-hand seat looking out for him??

No.

carr@convex.UUCP (02/13/86)

> I am a student pilot, endorsed for solo cross-country,
> (not really true YET, but for the sake of this question ...)
> geo has a commercial certificate with an instrument rating.
>
> Is it legal for him to fly as PIC under the hood in VFR conditions,
> with me sitting in the right-hand seat looking out for him??

You must be (at a minimum) a private pilot with appropriate ratings for the
category and class of aircraft flown (example: airplane single engine land)
in order to be a safety pilot for another pilot under the hood.

ted@bcsaic.UUCP (ted jardine) (02/17/86)

In article <23@vaxine.UUCP> mm@vaxine.UUCP (Mark Mudgett) writes:
>Another question for you CFI's (or FAR experts):
>
>I am a student pilot, endorsed for solo cross-country,
>(not really true YET, but for the sake of this question ...)
>geo has a commercial certificate with an instrument rating.
>
>Is it legal for him to fly as PIC under the hood in VFR conditions,
>with me sitting in the right-hand seat looking out for him?

The answer is unquestionably no.  The reference is FAR 91.21(b)(1).  The
reference states "appropriately rated pilot" which the FAA Legal folks have
interpreted to mean at least a Private Pilot.  One interesting variation
on this question is that the safety pilot does not need a current medical
certificate as long as the pilot operating under simulated IFR is qualified
to act as PIC.  If the pilot operating under simulated IFR is not qualified
to act as PIC then the safety pilot had better be a CFI.  There are miriad
variations that depend on equipment and so forth, but this is the essence
of the safety pilot requirement.

TJ {With Amazing Grace} The Piper
(aka Ted Jardine)  CFI-ASME/I
Boeing Artificial Intelligence Center