[net.aviation] Canadian flying info

olsen@ll-xn.ARPA (Jim Olsen) (03/05/86)

Last month, I posted a request for information on flying in Canada.
I received two responses; I thank Claude and Mike.  If anyone else
would like to contribute, please do!

--- Claude Goldsmith writes:
A couple of years ago I made a summer trip to Canada.  I obtained quite
a complete package of data concerning their FAR's as part of a "trip
kit" from Jeppeson.  If you file IFR, you will find very little
difference between flying here and there.  AOPA is another source of
info about border crossing requirements.

--- Mike Taylor writes:
I'm a Canadian presently living in the U.S.  I suggest you contact the
Department of Transport in Toronto, for example, and ask them to send
you some information - they'll probably send you a copy of the AIP.
Just call Directory Assistance for Toronto, area code 416, and ask for
Transport Canada.  If you are planning to fly a rented or other non U.S.
registered aircraft, you will need a Canadian pilot's license which can
be simply obtained on the basis of your U.S. license.  However, you will
not be able to transfer your instrument rating.  If you are flying your own
aircraft, of course, you can do anything you want.  The main differences
from the U.S. are the winter weather, much less radar coverage (remember how
to do position reports and estimates?), less courteous ATC, and much less
elaborate airport facilities except in the major cities.
--
Jim Olsen   (olsen@ll-xn.arpa)  ...!{decvax,lll-crg,seismo}!ll-xn!olsen

marcum@sun.uucp (Alan Marcum) (03/05/86)

One other thing to note, which I recall from my Ann Arbor flying days of
a couple of years ago, is that VFR-on-top requires an instrument
clearance -- unlike here in the US.  (This is NOT meant to start a
discussion of the merits, or lack o same, of a VFR-only pilot flying
VFR-on-top above a solid undercast.......but if it does, oh, what the heck.)
--
Alan M. Marcum				Sun Microsystems, Technical Consulting
...!{dual,ihnp4}!sun!nescorna!marcum	Mountain View, California

wool@oracle.UUCP (Chris Wooldridge) (03/09/86)

In article <3327@sun.uucp>, marcum@sun.uucp (Alan Marcum) writes:
> One other thing to note, which I recall from my Ann Arbor flying days of
> a couple of years ago, is that VFR-on-top requires an instrument
> clearance -- unlike here in the US.
True.  I fly a bit in Canada and can pass on the following tips:

1) Their TRSA's are MANDATORY - must have radio contact with approach
   (they call them "arrivals").
2) No flying on top of cloud layers with IFR clearance (see above).
3) True courses and standard pressure (29.92) used in the North.
4) Outside of the southmost 200 miles or so, you're in what they
   call "sparsely settled area" - there is a list of survival gear
   which you must have on board and the RCMP must check it before
   you go.
5) Flight plans required for flights of >25nm from origin airport.
6) There's this thing called "the block airspace" - which I recall
   as above 10,000' in the western half of the country - in which
   you must operate either IFR or something called "controlled VFR".
   This CVFR stuff requires either an instrument rating or a special
   "CVFR" license for a Canadian pilot - I don't know what is required
   of a nonIFR US pilot.
7) Most of western Canada has no radar coverage.  This makes for
   interesting IFR flying.  Canadian radar does not decode mode c,
   either.
8) You'll notice the engine go into "autorough" a lot in western
   Canada - a lot of tall mountains (>14,000), no sign of civilization,
   no radar contact, and absolutely no place to put the airplane should
   the unspeakable occur.   This is true even with the US border in sight!
9) Customs will give you a little green slip which gives you the right
   to fly in Canada.  It is made out for your departure date - make sure
   you give them the latest date you may stay, else you've got to stop
   by another customs place for an extention.
10) I've heard, but do not know, that Quebec ATC gives you a hard time
   if you don't speak French.   It is the one place in the world where
   this is so!

Transport Canada has a nifty little brochure for US pilots called
"Air Tourist Information - Canada" which tells you more about the above
and where to get charts, etc.  It's free at Canadian FSS's - at least
that's where I got mine.

Final note: don't be surprised to get a tiedown bill even 9 months after
your visit.  They rarely hit you there for tiedown, but your number ends up
in their computer, they get your address from OKCity, and you get a invoice
from Transport Canada asking for $6 Canadian, or whatever.   They'll
accept a US check in US dollars if you do the conversion right.

Have a nice flight!
--
Chris Wooldridge
Oracle Corporation

mat@amdahl.UUCP (Mike Taylor) (03/10/86)

In article <3327@sun.uucp>, marcum@sun.uucp (Alan Marcum) writes:
> One other thing to note, which I recall from my Ann Arbor flying days of
> a couple of years ago, is that VFR-on-top requires an instrument
> clearance -- unlike here in the US.

That's right. Also any flight above 9500 feet requires a clearance,
although it may be conducted VFR (sort of). A non-instrument rated pilot
may obtain a "block airspace" endorsement for VFR flight above 9500'.
--
Mike Taylor                        ...!{ihnp4,hplabs,amd,sun}!amdahl!mat

[ This may not reflect my opinion, let alone anyone else's.  ]