[net.aviation] Slam-dunking by Bay Approach

rick@apple.UUCP (Rick Auricchio) (03/10/86)

--------
[]
>In article <5504@kestrel.ARPA> ladkin@kestrel.ARPA (Peter Ladkin) writes:
>
>In the SF Bay Area, there is a slam-dunk (Bay Approach term, not mine)
>that is frequently used on commercial aircraft into SFO, where they
>bring them into the TCA from above, and right down on the GS.

	That's how jets were originally *supposed* to be brought into
	TCAs, from the top.  Of course, it isn't often the way things
	are done.

>I've also had a Bay Approach controller cancel a VFR-on-top plan
>for me as soon as I was clear-of-clouds. Never mind 500 feet.
>Never mind a request.

	Rather rude of him, but you probably could've refused the
	cancellation if you were uncomfortable.
--
{decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4}!nsc!apple!rick           N1150G         (408) 973-4227
	    Work is for people who don't know how to fly.