[net.aviation] Localizer

mat@amdahl.UUCP (Mike Taylor) (03/02/86)

Small stray signals certainly occur from localizers.  A favorite trick for
instrument rating examiners in Toronto was to use a known bad signal zone
at a local airport (Hamilton) to trap the unwary. The needle would wiggle,
the flag would flip on and off (and sometimes stay on for quite a while).
Obviously, you would not be taken in if you knew where you were (90 deg
off the runway, more or less, and quite far away).  The moral of the story
is that you should always have a crosscheck - in this case, the obvious
one was the NDB collocated with the OM. Quite apart from anything else,
you should be backing up your ILS receiver in case of its failure.
--
Mike Taylor                        ...!{ihnp4,hplabs,amd,sun}!amdahl!mat

[ This may not reflect my opinion, let alone anyone else's.  ]

TCS@USC-ECL.ARPA (Terry C. Savage) (03/11/86)

OK, OK!!!!! I've gotten this message about a dozen
times now, with a longer header each time! Cut it out!!!!!!!

TCS
-------

TCS@USC-ECL.ARPA (Terry C. Savage) (03/11/86)

I think I know why they call this goddam system "Chaosnet"--this
message is caught in some kind of loop, and I just keep getting
copies!

TCS
-------

TCS@USC-ECL.ARPA (Terry C. Savage) (03/14/86)

If I get another copy of this message, I think I'm
going to puke......

Fix the mailer!!!!!!!!!!!!

TCS
-------

ladkin@kestrel.ARPA (Peter Ladkin) (03/18/86)

In article <12190675775.38.TCS@USC-ECL.ARPA>, TCS@USC-ECL.ARPA (Terry C. Savage) writes:

> If I get another copy of this message, I think I'm
> going to puke......
>
> Fix the mailer!!!!!!!!!!!!

The problem is probably on your machine. Your comments
would be best directed to whomever fixes things at your
site. Next place to try is whomever feeds you.
A broadcast message system is just that.
Is your message of interest to the whole usenet community?

Peter Ladkin