[net.aviation] Flying Pterodactyls

tino@hou2f.UUCP (A.TINO) (05/23/86)

From marvit@hplabsb.UUCP (Peter Marvit):

>Last night I saw a short documentary on the fabrication and flight of a
>reconstrcution of the largest known flying creature in history: the extinct
>pteradactyl.  The model, designed and built by the inventor of the Gossamer,
>Albatross, and other pioneering ultralights (name?), will be on exhibit
>at the Smithsonian Air&Space museum later this summer, accompanied by a
>*large* screen movie of the beast and its flight entitled "On the Wing" (due
>to open in June?).
>Does anyone have refrences to this pteradactyl' origins and reconstruction?
>I am especially interested in its natural history and general redesign
>process, rather than detailed aerodynamics (although works written for laymen
>would be interesting).  Please feel free to post to net, but e-mail me a copy;
>I am a sporadic reader of a few groups.  Thanks and enjoy the creature!

_______________
The designer/builder of the giant pterodactyl (and the Gossamer Condor)
is Paul MacCready, chairman of AeroVironment, Inc.  The company's address
is
		Myrtle Ave
		Monroville, CA 91016

_______
Al Tino
!hou2f!tino

hsu@eneevax.UUCP (Dave Hsu) (05/26/86)

In article <673@hou2f.UUCP> tino@hou2f.UUCP (A.TINO) writes:
>From marvit@hplabsb.UUCP (Peter Marvit):
>>Last night I saw a short documentary on the fabrication and flight of a
>>reconstrcution of the largest known flying creature in history: the extinct
>>pteradactyl.  The model, designed and built by the inventor of the Gossamer,
>>Albatross, and other pioneering ultralights (name?), will be on exhibit
>>Does anyone have refrences to this pteradactyl' origins and reconstruction?
>_______________
>The designer/builder of the giant pterodactyl (and the Gossamer Condor)
>is Paul MacCready, chairman of AeroVironment, Inc.  The company's address
>Al Tino

First off, the pterodactyl wasn't the largest known flying creature in
history; they found those pteranosaur(?) bones in the Texas desert some
years back and my memory vaguely remembers that THAT creature had a
wingspan greater than a DC-3.  I think.

If you hadn't heard yet, the flying model crashed last week during
celebrations down in DC, after 21 or so successful flights.  Somewhere
around here I have the Smithsonian's press kit (I think) and I'll try
to fish it up later.  BTW, one item there was a reprint of a Caltech
newsletter from last winter, I think, so that may be the place to start.
The model's refinement went in stages from small crude gliders to small
detailed gliders, to the final full-scale model.  I recall they had a
lot of trouble initially because the pterodactyl's head served as a
vertical stabilizer and the early models weren't refined enough to fly
stably.

-dave
--
David Hsu  (301)454-1433 || -8798  <UM doesn't claim anything I do>
Communication & Signal Processing Lab / Engineering Computer Facility

"You know, guys, people say your music is loud, obnoxious, and lethal to mice.."

ladkin@kestrel.UUCP (05/27/86)

> From marvit@hplabsb.UUCP (Peter Marvit):

> >  The model [...]  will be on exhibit
> >at the Smithsonian Air&Space museum later this summer

Unfortunately, the pterodactyl crashed and burned on its
last flight at Andrews AFB. McCready seemed quite
philosophical about it.

Peter Ladkin
ladkin@kestrel.arpa

root@smeagol.UUCP (The Mysterons) (05/31/86)

In article <673@hou2f.UUCP>, tino@hou2f.UUCP (A.TINO) writes:
> From marvit@hplabsb.UUCP (Peter Marvit):
> >Last night I saw a short documentary on the fabrication and flight of a
> >reconstrcution of the largest known flying creature in history: the extinct
> >pteradactyl.
> The designer/builder of the giant pterodactyl (and the Gossamer Condor)
> is Paul MacCready, chairman of AeroVironment, Inc.  The company's address
> is
> 		Myrtle Ave
> 		Monroville, CA 91016

It's    Monrovia,   CA 91016