[net.music] Prince's Original Writing Style

markv@dartvax.UUCP (Mark F. Vita) (07/03/85)

<...>

   The other day I went over to use my stereo and found my sister's tape
of Prince's Purple Rain soundtrack sitting atop my tape deck.  Instead
of depositing this piece of worthless turd into her bedroom, I had a strange
urge to open the cassette box.  Inside, along with the album credits, I found
a piece of text, presumably written by Prince.  I read the text, which
appeared to be fairly meaningless, and noticed an odd aberration in the
writing style.  Everywhere that the word "for" was intended, he used the
numeral "4"; everywhere the word "you" was intended, the letter "u"
appeared.  There may have been other oddities, but I do not recall them
at the moment.
   My question is: is there a language/intelligence problem here, or is
Prince just trying to be cute/original?  I would tend to guess the former,
but if the latter is the reason, I have news for him:  my sister developed
a similar writing style years ago, when she was in the second grade, although
she later abandoned it.  Anybody else out there in netland have a theory
to offer?

                         ::        \
                             --     |
                         ::        /

--

                                Mark Vita
                                Dartmouth College

                       USENET:  {decvax,cornell,linus,astrovax}!dartvax!markv
                       ARPA:    markv%dartmouth@csnet-relay
                       CSNET:   markv@dartmouth

awinterb@udenva.UUCP (Art Winterbauer) (07/09/85)

Sounds to me like he's a regular poster to the net.

--

"What are all these toads doing so far from the marsh?"
                                        Lautreamont

        Art Winterbauer  ucbvax!nbires-----------\
        DRI/Elect.       seismo!hao---------------\
        PO Box 10127     cires---------------------\
        Univ. of Denver  boulder--------------------\---> !udenva!awinterb
        Denver, CO  80210  (303)-871-2412

rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) (07/09/85)

>    My question is: is there a language/intelligence problem here, or is
> Prince just trying to be cute/original?  I would tend to guess the former,
> but if the latter is the reason, I have news for him:  my sister developed
> a similar writing style years ago, when she was in the second grade, although
> she later abandoned it.  Anybody else out there in netland have a theory
> to offer?
>

>                                 Mark Vita
>                                 Dartmouth College

How could ANY of us argue with a "Dartmouth Man"?  I mean, Prince's writting
style just proves he's a jerk like that e.e. cummins guy, right?  Of course,
I am assuming that you are taking only literature and music courses. :-)

oz@yetti.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) (07/16/85)

In article <745@udenva.UUCP> awinterb@udenva.UUCP (Art Winterbauer) writes:

>Sounds to me like he's a regular poster to the net.

That is more to the point.. HOW QUICKLY THEY 4GET !!!
The particular writing style was invented long time ago, to use
with anon programs, to talk between terminals, originating @ MIT,
if I'm not mistaken..
	c u	see you
	o&o	over and out
	4	for
	b.	bye
	r	are
	@	at	(naturally..)

These r some examples.. If I could find an old documentation
on "computerese" I had back in the days of DEC-10 hacking, I will
post more..

--
Oz	[all wizardesque side effects are totaly unintentional,
	unless stated otherwise..]

	Usenet: [decvax | allegra | linus | ihnp4] !utzoo!yetti!oz
	Bitnet: oz@ [yuleo | yuyetti]
Support GNU. Consider the 3-muskateers' motto:
	ONE FOR ALL - ALL FOR ONE