[net.math] The Perils of Nutrasweet: digits of precision

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (08/14/85)

> The usual method of writing numbers (e.g. 10, .007) carries no information
> about accuracy.  .007 could be accurate to one, two or three decimal places.

	This is getting rather off the point, but some of you might like
this.  During one of my interviews for college, I was asked a typical
stupid interview question: "What's the area of a table 3 meters wide by 4
meters long?"  I poked around with various counter-probes like, "Do you
mean the area of just the top surface, or the top and bottom combined?" and
then came up with the obvious answer; 12 meters^2.

	Anyway, it turns out the "correct" answer is 1 * 10^1 meters^2;
since the initial data only had 1 digit of accuracy, that's all the final
answer can have.
--
Roy Smith <allegra!phri!roy>
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

> > The usual method of writing numbers (e.g. 10, .007) carries no information
> > about accuracy.  .007 could be accurate to one, two or three decimal places.

The usual convention is to show accuracy past the last significant digit
by postpending zeroes.  0.007 is presumed to be accurate to + or - 0.0005
otherwise.  10 is presumed to have 1 significant digit but 10. indicates
two significant digits.  Real measurement accuracy should not be expressed
in such terms but should have the standard error given also.

> 	This is getting rather off the point, but some of you might like
> this.  During one of my interviews for college, I was asked a typical
> stupid interview question: "What's the area of a table 3 meters wide by 4
> meters long?"  I poked around with various counter-probes like, "Do you
> mean the area of just the top surface, or the top and bottom combined?" and
> then came up with the obvious answer; 12 meters^2.

> 	Anyway, it turns out the "correct" answer is 1 * 10^1 meters^2;
> since the initial data only had 1 digit of accuracy, that's all the final
> answer can have.

This is a typical, but incorrect analysis.  The number of significant digits
in a computed quantity cannot be accurately estimated by any such simple rule.
Assuming that the dimensions of the table were given only to the nearest meter
(which is improbable), range arithmetic should be used, which means
multiplying two rectangular distributions.  If the input quantities had been
assumed to follow a more Gaussian distribution, the best estimate of the area
would be near 12 (with a very considerable standard deviation).

sgb@mulga.OZ (Steven Bird) (08/19/85)

> 	This is getting rather off the point, but some of you might like
> this.  During one of my interviews for college, I was asked a typical
> stupid interview question: "What's the area of a table 3 meters wide by 4
> meters long?"  I poked around with various counter-probes like, "Do you
> mean the area of just the top surface, or the top and bottom combined?" and
> then came up with the obvious answer; 12 meters^2.

> 	Anyway, it turns out the "correct" answer is 1 * 10^1 meters^2;
> since the initial data only had 1 digit of accuracy, that's all the final
> answer can have.

Getting even more off the point, suppose we were to compute 3*4 in base 12.
The answer of course is 10(base 12) which has 1 significant figure as required.
10(base 12) translates to 12 +/- 6 (base 10) which I think is more acceptable
than the 10 +/- 5 implied by 1 * 10^1 metres^2 above.

Error analysis should be *independent* of the base used to represent numbers.
For this reason I think there is something fundamentally wrong with the use
of significant figures to express accuracy.

--
Steven Bird.                        PHONE: +613 344-5229  (03 344-5229)
UUCP:	{seismo,ukc}!munnari!sgb    mulga!sgb@decvax.uucp

meister@linus.UUCP (Phillip W. Servita) (08/20/85)

In article <402@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
>	This is getting rather off the point, but some of you might like
>this.  During one of my interviews for college, I was asked a typical
>stupid interview question: "What's the area of a table 3 meters wide by 4
>meters long?"  I poked around with various counter-probes like, "Do you
>mean the area of just the top surface, or the top and bottom combined?" and
>then came up with the obvious answer; 12 meters^2.
>
>	Anyway, it turns out the "correct" answer is 1 * 10^1 meters^2;
>since the initial data only had 1 digit of accuracy, that's all the final
>answer can have.

   When my high school physics teacher asked this (actually, the figures
were different, but the question the same) question, and then told us the
"correct" answer, i said: "BULL PATTIES!!!" this was 4 years ago, as a high
school junior. If i was asked the same question now, however, I WOULD STILL
SAY 12 METERS SQUARE. And when i would get the "correct answer" in return,
I WOULD STILL SAY "BULL PATTIES!!!". Sorry, significant figures freaks, but
the question "Whats the area of a table 3 meters wide by 4 meters long"
is totally theoretical in nature. You have GIVEN me a table 3 by 4. i dont
know how or care how you measured it, you have GIVEN me a table 3 by 4. and

    GIVEN: a table 3 x 4 meters

    THEN:  that table has an area of 12 meters square. PERIOD.

To illustrate this further, let me ask two other questions:

1) (the math majors question)

    What is the area of a two dimensional rectangular pink elephant
    3 meters wide by 4 meters long?

2) (what the physics and sig figs people SHOULD ask)

    Using a stick ruled only in meters, i measured a table to be about
    3 meters wide by 4 meters long. What is its area? (correct answer
    about 10 meters square)

you were right with your 12 meters square answer.

                                 -phil

jim@cadomin.UUCP (Jim Easton) (08/22/85)

> .............. If i was asked the same question now, however, I WOULD STILL
> SAY 12 METERS SQUARE. ...

	and you would be wrong.  The correct answer is 12 square meters -
the unit is square meters.  12 meters square implies a square which is 12
meters on a side, having an area of 144 square meters.

	Jim Easton (...!alberta!jim)

jim@cadomin.UUCP (Jim Easton) (08/23/85)

> .............. If i was asked the same question now, however, I WOULD STILL
> SAY 12 METERS SQUARE. ...

I would expect an answer of 12 square meters - the unit is square meters.
To me 12 meters square implies a square which is 12 meters on a side,
having an area of 144 square meters.

	Jim Easton (...!alberta!jim)

thomas@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) (08/24/85)

In article <509@linus.UUCP> meister@linus.UUCP (Philip W. Servita) writes:
(various expletives deleted)
>    GIVEN: a table 3 x 4 meters
>
>    THEN:  that table has an area of 12 meters square. PERIOD.
the number "3" used in a measurement context (rather than 3.0 or 3.000)
means "3 +/- 0.5"  Multiplying out the limit cases, we get that the area
of the table is between 2.5x3.5 = 8.75 and 3.5x4.5 = 15.75 or
approximately 1e1.  Saying "3" instead of "3 +/- 0.5" is a convenient
shorthand.  While mathematically 3x4 is 12, when dealing with
measurements you must ALWAYS consider the precision.

>2) (what the physics and sig figs people SHOULD ask)
>
>    Using a stick ruled only in meters, i measured a table to be about
>    3 meters wide by 4 meters long. What is its area? (correct answer
>    about 10 meters square)
This is exactly what a measurement type means when he (or she) says the
table is "3 meters by 4 meters".  Again, it's a shorthand (or jargon)
that you learn to understand when you enter the field (just like Kb and
the like in CS).

--
=Spencer   ({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas@utah-cs.ARPA)
	"To feel at home, stay at home.  A foreign country is not designed

mvr@mimir.dmt.oz (Vaughan Roberts) (08/28/85)

s ie
	1) A table 3.5 meters by 4.5 meters we get an answer 15.75 m^2 or
to 1 digit 2 * 10^1 m^2.
	2) A table 2.5 meters by 3.5 meters gives 8.75 m^2 or 1 * 10^1 m^2.
The real answer is to do a full error analysis which requires the
uncertainty of the initial measurements to be stated. Without that it is
just pointless hot air to talk of "correct" answers as above.

--
Vaughan Roberts, CSIRO Div of ManTech, Melbourne, Australia.

ACSNET:	mvr@mimir.dmt.oz		Ph: +61 (03)418-0260
UUCP:	{decvax,pesnta,vax135}!mulga!mimir.dmt!mvr
ARPA:	mvr%mimir.dmt.oz@seismo.arpa