[net.music] A question

wimp@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Jeff Haferman) (07/01/85)

Which groups have recorded the Ellis McDaniel's song 'Who Do You Love'?

(You know "I've got a cobra snake for a neck-tie...")

This is interesting to me because I realized yesterday that I have three
versions by three different groups.  I'm sure there must be more.  Let me
know...

Jeff

wimp@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Jeff Haferman) (07/03/85)

> Which groups have recorded the Ellis McDaniel's song 'Who Do You Love'?

> (You know "I've got a cobra snake for a neck-tie...")

> This is interesting to me because I realized yesterday that I have three
> versions by three different groups.  I'm sure there must be more.  Let me
> know...

   Let me append to my own question by asking another question:

How many groups have their own version of a song entitled "On the Road Again"?
(i.e. all the songs have different lyrics)
Again, I know of three, perhaps there are more...

Jeff

p.s.-- Sorry if this is boring some of you, but then again, you don't have
       to read it.

mms1646@acf4.UUCP (Michael M. Sykora) (07/03/85)

>/* wimp@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Jeff Haferman) /  6:37 pm  Jun 30, 1985 */

>Which groups have recorded the Ellis McDaniel's song 'Who Do You Love'?

George Thorogood and the Destroyers on "Move it on Over" (I think).

I believe The Doors did it also.

Incidentally, Ellis McDaniel is the original name of Elmore James, isn't
it?

						Mike Sykora

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (07/04/85)

In article <1150047@acf4.UUCP> mms1646@acf4.UUCP (Michael M. Sykora) writes:
>>Which groups have recorded the Ellis McDaniel's song 'Who Do You Love'?
>
>George Thorogood and the Destroyers on "Move it on Over" (I think).

Correct.

>I believe The Doors did it also.

Also correct.  Other versions: Quicksilver Messenger Service, the Blues Project,
the Woolies, the Preachers (Pebbles, V. 1).

>Incidentally, Ellis McDaniel is the original name of Elmore James, isn't
>it?

Nope.  BO DIDDLEY!

Andrew W. Rogers

mfs@mhuxr.UUCP (SIMON) (07/05/85)

> Incidentally, Ellis McDaniel is the original name of Elmore James, isn't
> it?
>
> 						Mike Sykora

Ellis McDaniel is the real name of Bo Diddley. Elmore James' real name is
Elmore James.

Marcel Simon

wfi@rti-sel.UUCP (William Ingogly) (07/07/85)

In article <1150047@acf4.UUCP> mms1646@acf4.UUCP (Michael M. Sykora) writes:

>>Which groups have recorded the Ellis McDaniel's song 'Who Do You Love'?
>George Thorogood and the Destroyers on "Move it on Over" (I think).
>I believe The Doors did it also.

Also, Quicksilver Messenger Service on 'Happy Trails.'

                          -- Cheers, Bill Ingogly

joh@ptsfa.UUCP (Joe Hawkins) (07/11/85)

>>>Which groups have recorded the Ellis McDaniel's song 'Who Do You Love'?
>>George Thorogood and the Destroyers on "Move it on Over" (I think).
>>I believe The Doors did it also.
>
>Also, Quicksilver Messenger Service on 'Happy Trails.'

Ronnie Hawkins also did it at The Band's "Last Waltz"; that rendition can
be found on the soundtrack album of the same name. (BTW, it's good!)

                                        Joe Hawkins
					ptsfa!joh

--

"the faster we go, the rounder we get..."

                        Joe Hawkins
                        ptsfa!joh

hhs@hou2h.UUCP (H.SHARP) (07/16/85)

Townes Van Zandt (Tomato) covered it on "Flying Shoes."

He is one of the stranger characters on the folk-country
scene.  He also wrote "Pancho and Lefty" which many other
people went on to record.