[net.math] A number theory problem

sinclair@aero.ARPA (William S. Sinclair) (08/22/85)

Most of you have probably heard the story of Ramanujan, who was riding
in the cab with a friend. They were discussing his room number 1729,
when his friend remarked that it was an uninteresting number.
"Oh no" Ramanujan replied. "it is the smallest number that can be written
as the sum of two cubes in two different ways".

My question is, what is the smallest number that can be written as the
sum of two cubes in THREE different ways? Does one exist?

                                   Bill Sinclair (asbestos Willie)

matt@oddjob.UUCP (08/26/85)

>My question is, what is the smallest number that can be written as the
>sum of two cubes in THREE different ways? Does one exist?
>
>                                   Bill Sinclair (asbestos Willie)

The smallest 3-way sum of cubes is 87539319.

Misspending part of a summer on this sort of question led me to
observe that the number 221*5^n seems to be expressible as a sum
of two squares 2n+2 different ways for n through at least 10 or
so.  Is it true for all n?  If so, why?
Matt		University	crawford@anl-mcs.arpa
Crawford	of Chicago	ihnp4!oddjob!matt

cjh@petsd.UUCP (Chris Henrich) (08/27/85)

[]
In article <946@oddjob.UUCP> matt@oddjob.UUCP (Matt Crawford) writes:
>...          the number 221*5^n seems to be expressible as a sum
>of two squares 2n+2 different ways for n through at least 10 or
>so.  Is it true for all n?  If so, why?

This kind of question has been extensively studied by number
theorists.  References: many many textbooks on number theory.
That by Hardy (and Littlewood?) is a standard reference.
There is also Cohn, _A_Second_Course_in_Number_Theory_ and
Serre _Arithmetic_ (don't be fooled, this is *advanced*).

Here is an ad-hoc proof of yor observation, based on Gaussian
integers (i.e. complex numbers, whose real and imaginary parts
are integers).

               _
     221 = Z * Z

where    Z = (14 + 5 i)

              _
     5 =  W * W

where
         W =  ( 2 + i )

therefore
                        _
     221 * 5^n   =  U * U

where
                       _
         U = Z * W^a * W^b

         a + b = n.

Now the real and imaginary parts of any such U, in either
order, are a solution to your equation.
Regards,
Chris

--
Full-Name:  Christopher J. Henrich
UUCP:       ..!(cornell | ariel | ukc | houxz)!vax135!petsd!cjh

matt@oddjob.UUCP (Matt Crawford) (08/27/85)

Thanks for the proof outline, Christopher.  I see that the
hardest part is left out, though -- counting the duplicate
solutions for U's that are conjugate or related by factors
of i.  Is the condition something along the line of all
            _
the Z's and Z's not being divisible (over the gaussian
                  _
integers) by W or W?
Matt		University	crawford@anl-mcs.arpa
Crawford	of Chicago	ihnp4!oddjob!matt

jankok@zuring.UUCP (08/28/85)

In article 170 Bill Sinclair reminds us of the story of Ramanujan,
discussing his room number 1729 with a friend.

The story is told in the following way by Newman (in J.R. Newman (ed.)
The world of Mathematics, Vol. I, p. 375, Simon and Schuster, 1956).
Newman quoted Hardy, probably from his obituary of Ramanujan, who wrote
that he rode in a taxi with number 1729 to Ramanujan who lay ill at
Putney. When arrived they discussed the number.

I do not know a solution to the question. I expect that numbers exist
which can be split three times, if the amount of numbers which can
be split twice is large or infinite.

pumphrey@ttidcb.UUCP (Larry Pumphrey) (08/28/85)

> Misspending part of a summer on this sort of question led me to
> observe that the number 221*5^n seems to be expressible as a sum
> of two squares 2n+2 different ways for n through at least 10 or
> so.  Is it true for all n?  If so, why?

Yes, it is true for _all_ n.  In fact the more general problem can be
phrased as follows:

			_________
	    |\    |       |   |     |/
	    | \   |       |   |   _ |\i
   Let      |  \  | =     |   |  |_)
	    |   \ |       |   |  |  i
	    |    \|       |   |
			   i=1

   where each p  is a prime of the form 4x+1 and further
   let f(N) be the number of _different_ divisors of N (1 is
   considered a divisor) less than or equal to the square root of N.

   Then N can be represented as the sum of 2 squares in exactly f(N) ways.

   First proof wins a box of cheerios.  My proof is over 200 lines long so
   I'm not posting at this time --- margin is too small to contain it  :-)
   Hint: It can be solved by elementary means, that is to say algebraically
	 rather than analytically!

   p.s. Don't worry about misspending a summer on this problem, I've
	wasted my whole life (48 and still counting) trying to prove

			x^n + y^n = z^n

	has no integral solutions for n>2   :-(
						   Enjoy!

cjh@petsd.UUCP (Chris Henrich) (08/29/85)

[]
In article <949@oddjob.UUCP> matt@oddjob.UUCP (Matt Crawford) writes:
>Thanks for the proof outline, Christopher.  I see that the
>hardest part is left out, though -- counting the duplicate
>solutions for U's that are conjugate or related by factors
>of i.  Is the condition something along the line of all
>            _
>the Z's and Z's not being divisible (over the gaussian
>                  _
>integers) by W or W?

Yes.  And that there is "unique factorization" in the Gaussian
integers.

By the way, the attempt to generalize these ideas to other
quadratic forms was carried out by Gauss, and led to the
modern theory of ideals in rings of algebraic integers.
Part of that theory, called "class field theory", is very
tough stuff.

Regards,
Chris

--

msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) (08/29/85)

> Most of you have probably heard the story of Ramanujan, who was riding
> in the cab with a friend. They were discussing his room number 1729,
> when his friend remarked that it was an uninteresting number.
> "Oh no" Ramanujan replied. "it is the smallest number that can be written
> as the sum of two cubes in two different ways".

Actually, Hardy took CAB number 1729 to visit Ramanujan.

The interesting thing here is that 1729 is even more interesting than
Ramanujan mentioned.  It is not the smallest number to have a certain
other property, but it IS the THIRD-smallest, and that makes the property
pretty rare.  Combining this property with the UNRELATED one that
Ramanujan mentioned makes 1729 very interesting indeed!

What property am I talking about?

I'll post the answer in a few days if I don't see it posted first.

Mark Brader

paulv@boring.UUCP (09/01/85)

In article <388@aero.ARPA> sinclair@aero.UUCP (William S. Sinclair) writes:

>Most of you have probably heard the story of Ramanujan, who was riding
>in the cab with a friend. They were discussing his room number 1729,
>when his friend remarked that it was an uninteresting number.
>"Oh no" Ramanujan replied. "it is the smallest number that can be written
>as the sum of two cubes in two different ways".
>
>                                   Bill Sinclair (asbestos Willie)

According to C.P. Snow in the preface to G.H. Hardy's `A Mathematicians
Apology':
	Hardy used to visit him as he lay dying in hospital at Putney.
[He] always inept about introducing a conversation, said, probably
without greeting, and certainly as his first remark,: `I thought
the number of my taxicab was 1729. It seemed to me a rather dull
number.' To which Ramanujan replied: `No Hardy! no Hardy! It is a
very interesting number. It is the smallest number expressible as
the sum of two cubes in two different ways.'

rpb@aaec.OZ (Bob Backstrom) (09/02/85)

> Most of you have probably heard the story of Ramanujan, who was riding
> in the cab with a friend. They were discussing his room number 1729,
> when his friend remarked that it was an uninteresting number.
> "Oh no" Ramanujan replied. "it is the smallest number that can be written
> as the sum of two cubes in two different ways".
>
> My question is, what is the smallest number that can be written as the
> sum of two cubes in THREE different ways? Does one exist?
>
>                                    Bill Sinclair (asbestos Willie)

[ I am posting this reply to the net after getting Unknown Host when
mailing to "sinclair@aero.ARPA" ]

I had looked at exactly this problem some years ago and found the
first four such solutions as follows:

                 3      3
 87,539,319 = 167  + 436
                 3      3
            = 228  + 423
                 3      3
            = 255  + 414

                 3      3
119,824,488 =  11  + 493
                 3      3
            =  90  + 492
                 3      3
            = 346  + 428

                 3      3
143,604,279 = 111  + 522
                 3      3
            = 359  + 460
                 3      3
            = 408  + 423

                 3      3
175,959,000 =  70  + 560
                 3      3
            = 198  + 552
                 3      3
            = 315  + 525

From Bob Backstrom at the Australian Atomic Energy Commission,
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia.

rhm@bonnie.UUCP (Bob Morris) (09/03/85)

> > Misspending part of a summer on this sort of question led me to
> > observe that the number 221*5^n seems to be expressible as a sum
> > of two squares 2n+2 different ways for n through at least 10 or
> > so.  Is it true for all n?  If so, why?
>
> Yes, it is true for _all_ n.  In fact the more general problem can be
> phrased as follows:

> 			_________
> 	    |\    |       |   |     |/
> 	    | \   |       |   |   _ |\i
>    Let      |  \  | =     |   |  |_)
> 	    |   \ |       |   |  |  i
> 	    |    \|       |   |
> 			   i=1
>

>    where each p  is a prime of the form 4x+1 and further
>    let f(N) be the number of _different_ divisors of N (1 is
>    considered a divisor) less than or equal to the square root of N.
>
>    Then N can be represented as the sum of 2 squares in exactly f(N) ways.
>
>    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>    First proof wins a box of cheerios.  My proof is over 200 lines long so
>    I'm not posting at this time --- margin is too small to contain it  :-)
>    Hint: It can be solved by elementary means, that is to say algebraically
> 	 rather than analytically!
>
>    p.s. Don't worry about misspending a summer on this problem, I've
> 	wasted my whole life (48 and still counting) trying to prove
>
> 			x^n + y^n = z^n
>
> 	has no integral solutions for n>2   :-(
> 						   Enjoy!

Spending a summer to come up with 221*5^n is overkill.
It works as stated and the proof is available in any non-trivial
book on number theory.
But 13*5^n works equally well, and, indeed, 5^n is not bad either.

On another subject that came up recently, there are numbers that
can be expressec in k ways as the sum of two cubes, for any value
of k.  The proof is (strangely enougn) constructed and can be
found somewhere toward the end of Hardy and Wright.

msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) (09/03/85)

> The interesting thing here is that 1729 is even more interesting than
> Ramanujan mentioned.  It is not the smallest number to have a certain
> other property, but it IS the THIRD-smallest, and that makes the property
> pretty rare.  Combining this property with the UNRELATED one that
> Ramanujan mentioned makes 1729 very interesting indeed!
> What property am I talking about?

The answer is: 1729 is also a Carmichael number.

Fermat proved that b^p - b is divisible by p for all positive(?) integers b,
if p is prime.  But it's "if", not "if any only if".  A composite number p
having the same property is called a Carmichael number.
According to a program I ran, the ones below 65536 are:

  561 = 3x11x17
 1105 = 5x13x17
 1729 = 7x13x19
 2465 = 5x17x29
 2821 = 7x13x31
 6601 = 7x23x41
 8911 = 7x19x67
10585 = 5x29x73
15841 = 7x31x73
29341 = 13x37x61
41041 = 7x11x13x41

My reference on this is the December 1982* Scientific American, the article
on "The Search for Prime Numbers".  (The article said that 561 was the first
of these numbers and then casually mentioned 1729 as another.  I liked that.)

Mark Brader
*Oops, I should have written down the year.  It might be 1983.