[net.math] 30th Mersenne prime

dsouza@waltz (09/18/85)

Today's Austin American Statesman reports that computer scientists have
"stumbled on" the largest prime number ever discovered, which is
2**216091 - 1. Which consists of 65050 digits and is the 30th Mersenne
prime.

Quote from the article:
"While there is no known practical use for 65000-digit prime numbers,
the method that finds them requires trillions of calculations, and is
therefore a useful test of the reliability of large supercomputers...
It took more than three hours to test the number on a machine that does
400 million calculations a second [a Cray X-MP supercomputer at Chevron
Geosciences Co in Houston]/"

cheers,
dilip.

chongo@nsc.UUCP (Landon Noll) (09/29/85)

In article <30300001@waltz> dsouza@waltz writes:
 >Quote from the article:
 >"While there is no known practical use for 65000-digit prime numbers,
 >the method that finds them requires trillions of calculations, and is
 >therefore a useful test of the reliability of large supercomputers...

Tell that to the NSA...  :-}

chongo <> /\oo/\

southard@unc.UUCP (Scott Southard) (09/29/85)

In article <30300001@waltz> dsouza@waltz writes:

>Today's Austin American Statesman reports that computer scientists have
>"stumbled on" the largest prime number ever discovered, which is
>2**216091 - 1. Which consists of 65050 digits and is the 30th Mersenne
>prime.

I myself had discovered this prime long ago, using only my Apple ][ computer,
a pencil, and 42 boxes of narrow-ruled paper.  I guess if I want any
recognition in this world I'd better start publishing my findings early....

Scott Southard
<southard@unc>

In article <94@unc.unc.UUCP> southard@unc.UUCP (Scott Southard) writes:
>In article <30300001@waltz> dsouza@waltz writes:
>>
>>Today's Austin American Statesman reports that computer scientists have
>>"stumbled on" the largest prime number ever discovered, which is
>>2**216091 - 1. Which consists of 65050 digits and is the 30th Mersenne
>>prime.
>>
>I myself had discovered this prime long ago, using only my Apple ][ computer,
>a pencil, and 42 boxes of narrow-ruled paper.  I guess if I want any
>recognition in this world I'd better start publishing my findings early....
>
>Scott Southard
><southard@unc>

Apparently some people took me seriously, which they wouldn't have if they
could see my apple ][ in action.  I was joking.  In any case, I will try
to restrict my somewhat limited wit to net.jokes from now on.  Please
accept my apologies.

Scott Southard
<southard@unc>