[net.math] Humor

nemo@rochester.UUCP (10/04/85)

From: Richard Newman-Wolfe  <nemo>

Since I lost the original articles, and I thought the posters might be
interested in a very readable, thought-provoking book that eloquently
states many arguments in the previous articles, I am posting this
reference.
The book in question, which starts with a ~100 page essay on humor, is
Arthur Koestler's _The_Act_of_Creation_, published by Dell Pub. Co., NY
1964.  Both the assertion that humor (and creativity itself) rely on
parallel interpretation structures ("two habitually incompatible associative
contexts") and that laughter is a release of emotion occurring from the
rejection by reason of the jump from one to the other.  The emotions that
have too much 'inertia' to follow this jump are "self-assertive, aggressive-
defensive type, which are based on the sympathico-adrenal system and tend to
beget bodily activity."
Nemo
--
Internet:	nemo@rochester.arpa
UUCP:		{decvax, allegra, seismo, cmcl2}!rochester!nemo

bs@faron.UUCP (Robert D. Silverman) (10/07/85)

> From: Richard Newman-Wolfe  <nemo>
>
> Since I lost the original articles, and I thought the posters might be
> interested in a very readable, thought-provoking book that eloquently

I repeat, can we keep this nonsense out of net.math??? Put it in net.jokes
or net.bizarre, where it belongs.

Bob Silverman   (they call me Mr.9)