[net.music] Hawkwind

7995pk13@sjuvax.UUCP (kirsch) (02/08/85)

I was wondering if anybody out there had ever heard of a group called Hawkwind.
They've been around since the early seventies and were, as far as I'm concerned
one of the best progressive/psychedelic bands ever to come out of that era.
I have five of their albums and if there's any other Hawkwind fans out there
I'd like to hear about it.

D3U@PSUVM.BITNET (02/10/85)

There's at least one other Hawkwind fan out here.
My favorites include "Mirror of Illusion", "Orgone Accumulator", "You Shouldn't
Do That", "We Took The Wrong Step Years Ago", "Brainstorm"
My favorite albums, I guess, are Space Ritual, In Search of Space, Doremi
Fasolatido.
Anyone heard any recent albums? or Calvert's lp Hype, released a year ago?
Trivia: would you believe
   Ginger Baker joined Hawkwind after leaving the regrouped Atomic Rooster,
around 1979 0r 80?
  Hawkwind's bass player Lemmy left them to form Motorhead? and he's worked
with an all girl metal band (Girlschool, I think)?

 Glad to find another Hawkwind fan!
                                                    .... cosmic Ray

      ...., ./ .//...... ./ ''' '';'; ''   . ,',;',';,';,' ,;',; ',
       ,  .  . ..     .     ;          . .... ...        . .      .... .. .
                            SPACE IS DEEP        .,....  ,  .;  ::::::: ;;;
    "" ". .'. ..'. ..'  .'':.     ..      ..: ./    /.,/     /,,            '''
'   ,.   .'   .'.   '.'   '.'.  .'..   '.' .  '.'. .  .'''   ...'. . .'. ' ..'.
 ' .'. . '.' .'. '. '.' .'.' .'. '. '. '.'. '. '. ' .' . '. ' .' . '. '. ' .' .
 '. '. ' . '. '. ' . '. '. '. ' . '. '. '. ' . '. '. ' .' . '. ' .' . '. ' .' .
 '. '. ' . . '. ' .' . '. '. ' ' .' .'. .. .    '.'     '.'. .'. .'.'  '. '.' .
 --- .   :.   -   .- . , . - , . -   ,. -  . , :p:. ,  . -, .- .  ;; p .. .. .

nm34@sdcc12.UUCP (nm34) (02/12/85)

> I was wondering if anybody out there had ever heard of a group called Hawkwind.
> They've been around since the early seventies and were, as far as I'm concerned
> one of the best progressive/psychedelic bands ever to come out of that era.
> I have five of their albums and if there's any other Hawkwind fans out there
> I'd like to hear about it.

     I kinda liked them a few years ago. The only problem, was that they
were too weird to listen to when I was straight and they were too
intense to listen to when I was tripping. So I ended up never listening
to them.

                     AB

boyajian@akov68.DEC (02/19/85)

In case anyone was about to ask:

Yes, the Michael Moorcock who has played with Hawkwind is the author of
the Elric/Corum/Hawkmoon/Erekose/Cornelius/ad infinitum books.

Moorcock has also co-written some tunes for Blue Oyster Cult, one of which
("Black Blade" on CULTOSAURUS ERECTUS and EXTRATERRESTRIAL LIVE) is about
his Eternal Champion.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

weil@pur-ee.UUCP (Weil) (02/21/85)

Michael Moorcock also co-wrote "Veteran of the Psychic Wars"
which B.O.C. did on the "Heavy Metal" soundtrack.
He also performed with his own band (Deep Fix) on
Hawkwind's album "Friends and Relations".

That guy is TALENTED!

Rock.rx@XEROX.ARPA (Ian Rock) (02/21/85)

Yeah,

Hawkwind are/were an English band who were most active in the early
70's.  They were particularly notable for their light show, their
outrageous road crew, and a lady called Statia who was nominally part of
the band and tended to take off her clothes on stage (this was before
sexism existed).  Their music was pretty good too.

Hawkwind's records are still widely available here in England (in fact,
a band of that name still tours, but personnel changes have made them
almost unrecognisable).  They had one hit single, "Silver Machine"
(1972) and I have a particularly excellent (if scratchy) live recording
of this, in which neither of the vocalists seems to be able to hear the
other.

Hawkwind's most famous son, Lemmy, has now gone on to (greater ?) things
as lead singer of Motorhead.

	Ian

abh6509@ritcv.UUCP (A. Hudson) (02/22/85)

> There's at least one other Hawkwind fan out here.

There's a couple more -

Rumour has it that Johny Lydon used to catch Hawkwind concerts
on acid, when he was a young lad and before the Infamous Sex Pistols.

Hawkwind trivia - Who is the only remaining founding member?
Hint - Plays guitar, synthesizer, and some vocals.
How many Hawkwind albums exist??

I particularly go for the 10 minutes mind glazing acoustic tunes.
Earth Ritual Preview - semi-new, ok in some aspects, weak in others.

Favorite albums: In Search of Space, Warrior at the Edge of Time.

Can anyone give a description of the double live 1970 album?

Andrew Hudson
ritcv!abh6509

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (07/13/85)

> From: tp@ndm20

> You mean there are other Hawkwind fans in the world? All right!

Of course!  Hawkwind is the best underground psychedelic space-rock
heavy metal new wave SF (oops, I should say Sci-Fi) punk band ever to
exist!

	Hawkwind possess one of the strongest cult followings in the
	entire history of Brit heavy rock.  Sheer fanatacism is the
	hallmark of the band's faithful.  -- Kerrang! (A truly reputable
	rag...)

Also, Nik Turner's album "Sphinx" is probably the best space music I've
ever heard.  Robert Calvert's albums "Freq" and "Captain Lockheed and
the Starfighters" are also quite good.  Anyone have anything to say
about any other Hawkwind related albums?  (Motorhead need not be
mentioned...)  They're pretty damned difficult to find in the U.S.  It's
too bad I don't live in England so I could follow them all over the
country and be a HawkHead!  Anyone have any good ideas on how to
convince them to come here?

			"With my energizing ray
			 Power is the game I play
			 I can murder steal or rape
			 Panic is the rule I make
			 Panic is the rule I make"

			 Doug Alan
			  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

tp@ndm20 (07/17/85)

>Of course!  Hawkwind is the best underground psychedelic space-rock
>heavy metal new wave SF (oops, I should say Sci-Fi) punk band ever to
>exist!

>Also, Nik Turner's album "Sphinx" is probably the best space music I've
>ever heard.  Robert Calvert's albums "Freq" and "Captain Lockheed and
>the Starfighters" are also quite good.  Anyone have anything to say

Actually I was dissapointed with Sphinx, it is a little mellow for my tastes.
I like Steve Hillage and was expecting better, since the group was basically
Hillage's group plus Turner (anyone ever hear 'Fish Rising'?) Calvert had
another album titled along those lines which was amusing (Bar-bar-bar Bar-bar-
ians, to the tune of Barbara Ann by the beach boys...)

I don't know about hard to find. I have 17 Hawkwind albums, all bought in the
US in about the last 4 years. I am probably missing some recent ones, though,
and I know I missed the Sonic Assassins EP. I'll get it one of these days. I
even have an EP by the Hawkwind Zoo, before the band was truly organized.

I like all of their stuff (maybe a little less around the Quark-Hawklords period)
but my favorites to date are The Church of Hawkwind and the live album.

Terry Poot

	Lives of great men all remind us,
	We may make our lives sublime,
	And in so doing leave behind us,