[net.math] Math / name of HaShem

ins_akaa@jhunix.UUCP (Kenneth Adam Arromdee) (11/02/85)

In article <3780102@csd2.UUCP> meth@csd2.UUCP (Asher Meth) writes:

>I heard an interesting thought from Rabbi Yitchak Cohen (a 9th grade rebbi,
>teacher, at Yeshiva University High School, NYC).
>
>In the "Veyeeten Lecha" passages said at the conclusion of Shabbos, the last
>section begins with a passage in the name of Rabbi Yochanan (quoted from the
>Talmud, Megillah 31a) : Rabbi Yochanan says, Any place that you find the
>greatness of HaShem, you will find His humility.
>
>Rabbi Cohen quoted an explanation that interprets the passage as follows. Take
>the "gematriyah" (numerical equivalent) of the name of HaShem, ...
>... The gematriyah, sum of all the letters, is 26. Now take the "mispar
>kattan" - small counting - of this sum; i.e., keep taking the sum of the digits
>until the result is less than 10. For 26 the result is 8.
>Take multiples of this numerical value 26, and compute their "mispar kattan"
>values. We arrive at the following table :
>
>#   x 26    "mispar kattan"
>===========================
>1     26             8
>2     52             7
>3     78             6  ( 15 becomes 6 )
>4    104             5
>5    130             4
>6    156             3  ( 12 becomes 3 )
>7    182             2
>8    208             1  ( 10 becomes 1 )
>
>WOW !! Look at this relationship !
>The greater we multiply the name of HaShem, the smaller the "result" becomes.
>This is what Rabbi Yochanan was saying - the greater the name of HaShem, the
>more humility is expressed.
>
>Asher Meth ....... meth@nyu-csd2.arpa ....... allegra!cmcl2!csd2!meth

You've heard of "computer literacy"--here's a good case to encourage mathema-
tical literacy.  If you use ANY number with a digital root of 8 (i.e., a
remainder of 8 when divided by 9) you'll get the SAME relationship.  There's
nothing mystical about it. Furthermore, when you get to 9 times, it starts
at 9 again, going through 8,7,6....  Also try a number with a digital root
of 7--it goes twice as fast: 7,5,3,1.
If you know the alphabet up to 'k', you can teach it up to 'k'.

Kenneth Arromdee
BITNET: G46I4701 at JHUVM and INS_AKAA at JHUVMS
CSNET: ins_akaa@jhunix.CSNET
ARPA: ins_akaa%jhunix@hopkins.ARPA
UUCP: ...{decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!seismo!umcp-cs!aplvax!aplcen!jhunix!ins_akaa