[fa.arms-d] ARMS-D Vol 1 #9

arms-d (03/26/83)

>From The-Moderator@MIT-MC  Sat Mar 26 00:06:41 1983
Sender: FFM@MIT-MC
To: ARMS-D-DIST@MIT-MC

Subject: Arms-Discussion Digest V1 #9
To: ARMS-D-DIST@MC

Arms-Discussion Digest                            Volume 1 : Issue 9

Today's Topics:

Charleston, "Special Bulletin", Reagan for true defense instead of
deterrent?, Is this REALLY a commitment to high technology in defense ?,
CoEvolution article on global gamesmanship and nuclear freeze,
Reagan's ABM, Reagan's speech of 3/23, A Modest Proposal

Date:     22 Mar 83 7:48:44 EST (Tue)
From:     Earl Weaver (VLD/VMB) <earl@Brl-Bmd.ARPA>
To:       arms-d@Mit-Mc.ARPA
Subject:  Charleston

I started to watch it but fell asleep.  The plot was interesting, but
the first part of it didn't seem real to me--"too smooth" as REM
described it.  Especially that reporter who was trying to do the
piece on the union and then running right into the middle of the
'firefight', automatic weapons blazing away, people dropping (getting
shot), and then the reporter asks, "What's going on here?" (or
something to that effect.)

Maybe when it's rerun, I'll tune in the second part.

Oh, there was one small thing that was realistic: after the two
Coast Guardsmen were released, the news commentator still referred
to the (current) four hostages rather than the two.  A few sentences
later the correct number (2) was used.

------------------------------

Date: 22 Mar 1983 10:58-PST
From: dietz%usc-cse@USC-ECL
To: arms-d@mit-mc
Subject: "Special Bulletin"
Via:  Usc-Cse; 22 Mar 83 13:49:39

I have some quibbles with the movie's accuracy:

(1) The bomb (24 kilotons) would not have contaminated the Charleston
area as severly as was stated.  True, it was a ground burst, but
fallout is washed away/burried/blown away pretty quickly.  Anyone have
a time constant for htis process?

(2) The NEST team would NOT have tried to disarm the bomb.  It was a
plutonium implosion device.  The yield in these bombs are very
sensitive to the symmetry of the implosion.  Any gross damage done to
the plutonium or the surrounding charges would so disrupt this symmetry
that the bomb would at best fizzle.  The team would set up some sort of
explosive device (shaped charges, a high velocity cannon, etc.) to
shoot something through the explosive lenses or the plutonium.  Even if
the bomb went off in the process the explosion would be much smaller
(less than a kiloton).  At the very least they could have set this up
and set it off when the bomb got away from them.

------------------------------

REM@MIT-MC 03/23/83 20:33:11 Re: Reagan for true defense instead of deterrent?
To: ARMS-D at MIT-MC
President Reagan today gave lip service to true defense, intercepting
ICBMs en route (probably with lasers); but he says it won't be
available until the end of the century, so I doubt he's really serious
about defense in the near future.

------------------------------

Date: Wed 23 Mar 83 23:44:43-PST
From: Jim McGrath <CSD.MCGRATH@SU-SCORE.ARPA>
Subject: Reagan's Defense Message
To: space@MIT-MC.ARPA
cc: arms-d@MIT-MC.ARPA, poli-sci@RUTGERS.ARPA

Is this REALLY a commitment to high technology in defense?  That is, is
Reagan really going to put his political muscle and government funds
behind the effort?  Anyone read his defense budget for clues?

Jim
------------------------------

Date: 25 Mar 83 01:37:37 PST (Fri)
From: sun!gnu@Berkeley (John Gilmore)
Subject: CoEvolution article on global gamesmanship and nuclear freeze
To: arms-d@mit-mc.ARPA
To: gnu@sun.UUCP@Berkeley

Check the Spring 1983 issue of CoEvolution Quarterly, page 126, for
an article by an "anonymous author [who] works in strategic planning
for a very large very multinational corporation".  I found it very
readable and credible.  An excerpt:

	While a moral sensibility undoubtedly informs the nuclear freeze
	movement, its aims must be achieved in the political arena, and
	so a political perspective must inform it as well.  Politics has
	many similarities to game playing.  The problem in politics,
	however, is that most of the players want to win different prizes
	and play by different rules.  Successful politics therefore
	requires redefining the game: seeing your own game as it will
	be affected by the play of the other intersecting games.  Imagine
	trying to get a soccer ball downfield while at least two other
	teams are playing football and lacrosse.  For the nuclear freeze
	movement to be more than merely a further exercise of self-
	expression of moral outrage, it must see the game of games within
	which it is playing.

S/he then goes on to describe some of the relevant strategies of assorted
major powers and how they can interact with the freeze movement.  Well
worth reading.

If you don't subscribe to CoEvolution, consider it.  It's a good source
of well-thought-out articles on an amazing variety of topics.  (This is
not an ad but a personal reccommendation.  Any resemblance to an ad,
living or dead, is purely in your head.)  $14/yr from Box 428, Sausolito,
CA 94966.  They also sell back issues for $3; this is #37.     SausAlito, sigh.

	John Gilmore, Sun Microsystems

-------------------------------

Date: 23 Mar 1983 0727-PST
From: CAULKINS@USC-ECL
Subject: Reagan's ABM
To:   armsd at MIT-MC

I've just finished reading the text of Reagan's 23 March ABM speech.
Alas, it looks like another piece of his designing-at-the-microphone.

The economics of hydrogen bombs are still overwhelming; in terms of
area-subject-to-10PSI-overpressure/$, corpses/$, etc. they represent
irresistable power.  Even a spectacularly successful 97.5% kill ratio
by an ABM system against the existing 8,000 Soviet warheads lets 200
get through; more than enough to devastate our or any society.

Reagan's proposals are (to put it kindly) vague.  He mentions the
possible destabilizing effects of ABMs, but proposes no solutions to
the problem.  He said that an ABM R&D program would be ... "consistent
with our obligations under the ABM treaty" ... but made no mention of
how deployment of an ABM would be carried out without treaty
violation.

He said the ABM R&D program would ... "begin to achieve our ultimate
goal of eliminating the threat posed by strategic nuclear missiles."
.....  He ignores the fact that this would just be another step in the
arms race.  He made no mention of reducing expenditure on offensive
nuclear weapons and devoting the money saved to defensive systems, a
cooperative venture with the Soviets in building the ABM, or any other
scheme which might indeed make the ABM a truly defensive and
stabilizing force.

Some excerpts from the S.F. Chronicle of 25 March 83:

"... several White House and Pentagon aides suggested the idea had not
been carefully studied ...

Among the fundemental questions raised by Reagan's challenge to the
scientific community to find a way of protecting the United States
from a nuclear attack:

o  Will the proposed strategy violate ... the 1972 agreement limiting
Soviet and US anti-missile systems and their development ?

o  Can a defensive system be devised that cannot be overcome by the
offense ?

o  Will deterrence be enhanced or undermined by such a system which
would allow one side to strike first and limit the effects of a
retaliatory blow ?  This last question is especially important because
such a system could be developed by the Soviet Union as well as the
United States. ..."

------------------------------

Date: 25 March 1983 1332-PST (Friday)
From: crummer at AEROSPACE (Charlie Crummer)
Subject: Reagan's speech of 3/23
To: arms-d at mit-mc

The president's speech should be read carefully by anyone concerned with
our national safety. (These days defense may not imply safety; viz. the
survivable, winnable 6 mo. nuclear war.) There are inappropriate generalizations, exclusions, and inconsistencies that mar the whole fabric. Some
thoughts...

1. If the U.S. is really weaker than the Soviet Union, why haven't they
   moved missiles into Cuba instead of just surveillance equipment? The
   spy plane pictures that Reagan displayed were rather pale in contrast to
   the photos that Kennedy had in 1962. If we are truly in a defensive
   posture it is to our advantage to have them know this; it might
   prevent their trigger finger from getting itchy. For the president
   to continually avow our weakness might actually strengthen the Soviet
   position; it could turn into a self-fulfilling prophecy.

2. Suppose we begin development and/or deployment of a space-based nuclear
   powered laser, quantum chromodynamic particle beam weapon, electrogravitational tractor beam, subspace warp transmitter, or other such obvious defensive
   system. The Russians will find out about it before it is completed, of
   course. The problem arises because there is some lack of agreement as to
   who the "bad guys" are. They think we are out to get them and as a
   consequence might think that we are actually planning a first strike
   and are preparing to defend ourselves against a retaliatory strike. In
   this case they might feel forced to cut their losses by hitting us
   first.

Hardware and new systems are no substitute for establishing a relationship
with the Soviets that works to the benefit of each. The human mind is
senior to anything it creates so all systems can be countered. We must
insist that our government produce the results that it is hired by us to
produce. Negotiate for tough, mutually beneficial, verifiable agreements
and quit thinking that we are "playing poker" or Pac Man with the lives
of human beings.

Date: 25 March 1983 1401-PST (Friday)
From: crummer at AEROSPACE (Charlie Crummer)
Subject: A Modest Proposal
To: arms-d at mit-mc

Apropos the laser-nuke: how about positioning a laser in orbit, accurately
aimed at the Russkies and pump it by triggering a supernova in the sun?
That would certainly teach them not to trifle with us!

[End of Arms-D Digest]