[fa.arms-d] Arms-Discussion Digest V2 #37

daemon@ucbvax.UUCP (04/24/84)

From @MIT-MC:JLarson.PA@Xerox.ARPA  Sun Apr 22 23:26:03 1984
Arms-Discussion Digest Volume 2 : Issue 37

Today's Topics:

		Political/Technical Solutions  (3 msgs)
		BMD again
		MX

Date:           Wed, 9 May 84 08:46:56 PDT
From:           Richard Foy <foy@AEROSPACE>
To:             ARMS-D@MIT-MC
Subject:        Political Solutions

There has been a lot of discussion lately about the relative feasibility
of political and technological solutions to the problem of nulclear war.

The argumentts against politcal solutions seem to be that we can't change
human nature. I believe that this overlooks a major fact. That fact is that
human nature is widely variable. In some situations it is human nature to
get angry, to kill, to destroy. Under other circumstances it is human nature
to be generous, to be compassionate, to be loving. I know that this is true
of everyone that I know well. I assume that it is true of those that I don't.

We know that people act out of the perception of reality as much as they do
out of the fact of reality. Advertizing, charismatic leaders, dynamic speakers
all convince me of that.

It seems to me that what we need is a combined solution that uses technology
in such a way that it induces people to find political solutions that are
workable and in accord with human nature.

I think that REM's proposal of orders of magnitude reduction in nuclear
weopons combined with a  BMD  technology goes a long way in this direction.

I hope that during the course of this election year it becomes more
politically feasible.

------------------------------

Date:  9 May 84 16:24:34 EDT
From: Robert Frederking@CMU-CS-A
Subject: Technological/Political solutions
To: ARMS-D@MIT-MC.ARPA

	(1) If one believes it is necessary to end war in order to end the
threat of global annihilation, then we are all indeed doomed.  This is not
necessary, however.  All that is needed is a realization by the various
governments involved that a nuclear war cannot benefit either side in any
reasonable scenario.  This should lead to a reduction of nuclear arsenals
on each side to a more sane level.  Consider that other nuclear powers
don't feel a need for tens of thousands of warheads, only the US and USSR,
who are each wildly paranoid of the other.  Other universally-recognized
evils *have* vanished, slavery being a case in point (nowhere in the world
is the sale of human beings tolerated, whereas once it was common, even
here).
	(2) I don't want a reactor in my garden, and there is no reason to
believe that there is any reasonable place to move to besides the surface
of the earth.  I would give my right arm for a space flight or two, but I
would not want to live permanently in space.  This might be a solution for
some people, but I suspect the vast majority of humankind is going to remain
on the surface of the earth for a very long time.  I consider it ridiculously
immoral to consign all of nature and the third world to a radioactive death
while the high-tech world survives in space and under the ground.  No
thanks.

------------------------------

Date: 11 May 1984 0618-PDT
From: CAULKINS@USC-ECL.ARPA
Subject: Real Technical Solutions
To:   armsd@MIT-MC, poli-sci@RUTGERS

The next round in the dispute between JoSH and myself about ways to
end the arms race:

JoSH:	... he [Caulkins] hopes for some significant, thoroughgoing
	sea change to occur in the political psychology of the human race in
	the next few years.  This is the stuff of fairy tales.

Josh then proceeds to advocate emptying the world's cities, providing
cheap energy from nuclear reactors, a better popular understanding and
ability to handle radiation hazards, use of nuclear powered rockets to
build space colonies, and possibly moving people into undersea
habitations.  These are the "real" (non fairy tale) technological
solutions ?

JoSH:	He spends no time exploring the issue of the required fundamental
	turnaround in the makeup of the human mind.

I don't believe that it requires a fundemental turnaround in the makeup
of the human mind to realize that making ever more weapons that threaten
civilization and the species is a bad idea, and that new political
approaches are needed.

JoSH:	However, in the past half-century, the destructive capabilities would
	seem to have outrun the others to some extent.

	My basic thesis is that there is in general a balance between the
	destructive capability of which technology is capable at a given level
	of scientific knowlege, and the other capabilities at that level which
	tend to offset the destructive.

Destructive capabilties 'seem' to have outrun the others by six orders
of magnitude.  Not two, or three, or four, but six !  I would very much
like to hear about the new discoveries which will redress the balance by
strengthening defense by the same factor of 1,000,000.  The development of
fission and fusion weapons represents an absolutely unprecedented change
in mankind's ability to release very large amounts of energy from very
small objects.  To view this as just another swing in the oscillation
between offense and defense is to overlook a historical change of major
proportions.

JoSH:	[Please note that most of the nasty effects of a nuclear war could be
	achieved by WWII style incendiary bombing, including enough smoke to
	satisfy Sagan's wildest fantasy.  However, it would be prohibitively
	expensive.]

The same nasty effects could also be achieved with kitchen matches;
the fact that these or incendiary bombs would be 'prohibitively
expensive' is precisely why we are not concerned with the growth in
the match or incendiary bomb arsenals of the world.

JoSH:	Were nuclear technology in the non-military realm as advanced as in
	the military, I believe that the prospect of nuclear war, while still
	daunting, would not be as apocalyptic as it now seems to be.

I am far from being a nuclear physicist, but I do know that the
technology for releasing energy via nuclear explosions is vastly
different from and less expensive than that required for power
reactors.  If the experience of American utility companies is any
guide, nuclear reactors have not led to the utopia of low-cost energy
that was hoped for ten years ago.  In spite of large expenditures of
public and private money, power reactor technology looks less and less
viable as a cost-effective source of electricity.

JoSH:	In my mind, the imperative is to spread out.  Four hundred years ago,
	it took years to sail around the world.  It was inconceivable that a
	single national force might wipe out all humanity.  For humanity to
	be as safe again, we must again occupy an area that it takes years to
	cross.

How does occupying an area that it takes nuclear missiles minutes or
hours to cross save us ?  Even if all human constructs and living
places were so distributed as to make them bad targets for the thermal
and blast effects of nuclear bombs, fallout from ground bursts could
still wreak havoc.  And it would be both expensive and very difficult
to build industrial installations like oil refineries, steel mills,
power plants, etc. that would not be attractive and cost-effective
targets for single nuclear weapons.

-------

------------------------------

Date: 12 May 1984 12:12-PDT
From: dietz%USC-CSE@USC-ECL.ARPA
To: arms-d@MIT-MC.ARPA
Subject: BMD again

Here are some arguments against BMD I don't remember seeing in this list.

Any BMD system can be overwhelmed by throwing enough targets at it.  An
enemy planning an attack will be conservative and build enough missiles
so that, in the worst case, enough get through.  The worst case (to the
attacker) probably won't happen, though, because the BMD system will be
complex and untested.  As a result, many more warheads will get through
than would have been fired had no BMD system been installed.

One can also imagine far more cost effective ways of delivering nuclear
weapons through space than by ICBM.  Nuclear weapons are actually quite
inexpensive, at least compared to the boosters they are propelled by.
How about propelling nuclear warheads by electromagnetic accelerator?
The fragile and expensive part of this weapon is the accelerator
itself, which would be safely on the ground, in one's own country.
Assuming one could launch one light-weight low-yield warhead from an
accelerator every second, one could launch 10,000 warheads from 100
accelerators in under two minutes.  In practice, one would also launch
decoys, chaff dispensers, etc.  The cost of launching additional
warheads would just be the cost of the warhead (a few million dollars,
perhaps; much less for decoys) plus the cost of the electricity to run
the accelerator (insignificant).  One would expect the accuracy of this
weapon to be inferior to modern ICBMs, but that could be fixed by
launching enough warheads or by using homing reentry vehicles.  It
would be fine for nuclear saturation bombing of cities.  Unlike ICBM's,
the incremental cost of expanding this weapon would be the cost of
building a nuclear weapon/reentry vehicle.  Extremely simple fission
warheads could designed.  Such warheads could have two subcritical
masses of U-235 at opposite ends of the RV; upon impact with the ground
the aft mass would detach and join the forward mass, causing an
explosion.  No explosives, no fusing, no electronics.

I see no way to defend against this weapon, except to destroy the
launchers.

------------------------------

Date: 12 May 1984 1834-PDT
From: CAULKINS@USC-ECL.ARPA
Subject: MX
To:   armsd@MIT-MC

Recent front page stories in the 11 and 12 May issues of the New York
Times cast doubt on the military capability and readiness of the MX;
some quotes:

11 May story, by Steven V. Roberts

"Recent advacnces in Soviet technology cast doubt on the ability of the MX
missile to accomplish its objective of destroying the Soviet land-based
missile force, a new report from the General ccounting Office says.

But a Pentagon spokesman said today that the report was in error, and
that the MX was fully able to hold 'the hard Soviet targets at risk'.

The key finding in the report concerns the ability of the Soviet
Union's silos to protect its misile force.  ... according to
information supplied by the Air Force, the Soviet Union has increased
the 'hardness' of its silos threefold since the MX missile ... entered
full development ... in 1979...

'We foresaw the increase in hardness', the Pentagon spokesman said, 'We
set our requirements for the MX accordingly'.

Therefore, the spokesman added, ... no further modifications of the
weapon are required. ...

The report also suggests that the Pentagon is taking 'a major risk'
by starting production of some components of the missile before they are
fully tested.  ... deployment is scheduled to begin in 1986, before the
entire system is subject to thorough flight-testing. ...

'We seem to be building weapons systems that haven't been adequately tested',
he [Rep Stark] said.  'They may be trying to get this thing into
production so we can't stop it.' ...

12 May story by Wayne Biddle

"The Air Force changed its basing plans for the MX missile last year
to make up for shortcomings in its range, according to a General
Accounting Office report and Pentagon sources. ...

when the original warhead, the MK-12A, was replaced by the heavier
MK-21, 'not all of the wieght increase could be accomodated by the
throw weight limits established by the unratified SALT II treaty.' ...

Pentagon sources said that the Air Force decided to use the new
warhead because its design offered a saving on scarce materials needed
to create a nuclear explosion.  It is also thought to be more accurate

Maneuverable warheads similar to those used on the Army's Pershing 2
missiles in Europe have the theoretical potential to provide
near-bull's-eye accuracy, making all silo-basing of strategic missiles
essentially obsolete."

So we are sinking $30 billion into an ineffective, provocative, and
obsolete missile system.  Just what you've always wanted - something
that combines the best features of dangerousness, stupidity, and high
cost.

-------

[End of ARMS-D Digest]