[fa.arms-d] Arms-Discussion Digest V2 #49

daemon@ucbvax.UUCP (07/30/84)

From @MIT-MC:JLarson.PA@Xerox.ARPA  Sun Jul 29 17:30:29 1984
Arms-Discussion Digest Volume 2 : Issue 49

Today's Topics:

		Telephone credit cards and C**3
		Robots Against War
		Info Wars
		Science News beam weapon article

Date: 25 Jul 1984 1614 PDT
From: John McCluskey <MCCLUSKEY@JPL-VLSI.ARPA>
Subject: Everyone should memorize their Telephone credit card number.
To: info-cobol@mit-mc
ReSent-To: Arms-d@MC
ReSent-From: GEOFF at SRI-CSL

From: 	 Microwave Journal, July 84, page 97

 DoD is still generally closed-mouthed about divulging specifics
from lessons learned in the Grenada operation.  However we have
learned of an incident involving C**3 that is a little offbeat, courtesy
of MG David L. Nichols, of the Air Force office of Deputy Chief of
Staff for Programs.
 In the early days of the conflict a small force of US troops was
surrounded by Cubans in armored personnel carriers.  Although
US helicopter gunships that could help the US troops were in the
area, the soldiers did not have a way to communicate with the
gunships.  Using GI ingenuity, one of our soldiers went to a public
telephone and placed a long distance call for help to Fort Bragg
***using his credit card.***  Fort Bragg, via satellite, was able to get
the word to the gunships, who neutralized the Cubans, thereby saving
the day for the good guys.
  Although the demonstration of US ingenuity is appreciated, the
lack of ablity of troops to communicate with supporting gunships
is an example of how sophisticated C**3 networks sometimes fail to
support simple operational scenarios.
--------

------------------------------

Date: 26 July 1984 23:13-EDT
From: Oded Anoaf Feingold <OAF @ MIT-MC>
Subject:  Robots Against War
To: WDOHERTY @ BBNG
cc: ARMS-D @ MIT-MC

Okay, what is intrinsically terrible about AI/robotics in the battlefield?

I can understand that "technology marketing" of arms to thrid-wrold nations
is reprehensible, but I think if one enters a battle one should do so in
order to win it.  AI/robotix may be a means to that end.  Maybe someday
conventional wars will be decided by whose robots beat up whose robots,
and people don't have to go out and get killed.

If you DON'T hold the opinion that the US is automatically on the wrong
side, is the seminar still demonstrable against?

Odd

------------------------------

Date: 27 Jul 1984 0747-PDT
From: CAULKINS@USC-ECL.ARPA
Subject: Info Wars
To:   arms-d@MIT-MC

In Arms-D Vol 2 #48 Richard August quoted an article from Consumer
Electronic Monthly about subverting the USSR with electronic gadgetry
like VCRs.  I think the scheme deserves more than tongue-in-cheek
discussion.  Consider the following:

1) Neither the US nor the USSR can really afford the nuclear arms race,
both sides have felt constrained to spend whatever was required to
keep up.

2) Suppose the US embarks on a new 'information war' strategy, designed
to exploit the vulnerability of the USSR (and possibly other information-
restricting regimes) to the undeniable appeal of modern communication
technology.

The US, in conjunction with Japan, develops a series of low cost,
rugged, small size devices; all should be adaptable to a variety of
local power sources and/or batteries and/or supplemenatry solar power.
The set of devices might include:

2.1) A Walkman-like audio box for playing and/or recording audio
cassettes.

2.2) A VCR

2.3) A word processor/typewriter which could be used to generate text or
make copies of text produced by other similar machines.

2.4 A TV set capable of receiving Direct Satellite Broadcast programs.

The US manufactures these things in quantity, and distributes them at
low or no cost around the borders of the USSR.  As a parallel effort a
variety of audio and video program material would be produced and
distributed.  Content should be entertainment with emphasis on popular
music, current films, Laverne + Shirley type TV programs, etc.

As an adjunct effort we produce and distribute in a simlar manner
"dzhins", Michael Jackson posters, makeup + junk jewelry, youth-market
clothing and accessories - evry sort of capitalist subversive
frivolity.

The US pursues this strategy quite openly, asserting that we are
diverting money from armaments to this new tactic.  We couple the
build up of info-war activity with offers to alter or diminish it in
return for substantive progress in arms control agreements.

This is the kind of race the Soviets not only cannot win, it's
something in which they cannot even compete.  A difficulty is that
they might view it as dangerous enough to merit risky military
initiatives to try to pressure us to stop it.

-------

------------------------------

Date: 27 Jul 1984 7:47-PDT
From: dietz%USC-CSE@ECLA
To: arms-d@MIT-MC.ARPA
Subject: Science News beam weapon article

A recent issue of Science News has an article on directed energy
weapons.  Two things the article said were interesting.  First, it
claimed that neutral particle beam technology is as advanced as or more
advanced than (conventional) laser weapon technology.  Second, it gave
some interesting details on the nuclear pumped X-ray laser.  According
to the article, the lasing rods are made of carbon, are 1 cm long and 1
micron (!) wide.  That's only about 10^15 carbon atoms, which, if all
excited and made to radiate X-rays, would radiate only on the order of
1 to 10 joules.

[End of ARMS-D Digest]