[fa.arms-d] Arms-Discussion Digest V2 #51

daemon@ucbvax.UUCP (08/11/84)

From @MIT-MC:JLarson.PA@Xerox.ARPA  Fri Aug 10 19:24:13 1984
Arms-Discussion Digest Volume 2 : Issue 51

Today's Topics:

		Shaped nuclear charge
		Goodbye
		Re: Robots Against War
		People

Date: 3 Aug 84 09:01:11 EDT
From: sde@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA
To: arms-d@MIT-MC.ARPA
Subject: Shaped nuclear charge

If I recall correctly, since it's been a few years since I read the book,
"The Curve of Binding Energy" (by Teller, I think) discussed such shaped
charges in connection with using them to bore tunnels cheaply. From the
sound of the thing, he made the idea seem quite feasible.
   David   sde@mitre-bedford

------------------------------

Date: 4 Aug 1984 16:21-PDT
From: dietz%USC-CSE@ECLA
To: space@MIT-MC.ARPA, arms-d@MIT-MC.ARPA, poli-sci@RUTGERS.ARPA
Subject: Goodbye all

I'm leaving the network, (sob) so goodbye, everyone.

Paul Dietz
dietz%usc-cse@usc-ecl

------------------------------

Date:  Thu, 9 Aug 84 18:45 MST
From:  Jong@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject:  Re: Robots Against War
To:  ARMS-D@MIT-MC.ARPA

  The concept of warring automatons recalls Saberhagen's "Berserker"
science-fiction series.  In it, two warring galactic civilizations
created huge, automated, planet-busting weapons.  The weapons were so
successful that both civilizations were destroyed, leaving the
now-unguided weapons to carry out their original programming -- that is,
to destroy anything that wasn't friendly.  Unfortunately, no one was
left to call them off.
  That's a simplistic counterexample (great reading, though!), but it
does crystallize my concerns about robot warfare.

------------------------------

Date:           Fri, 10 Aug 84 13:12:12 PDT
From:           Richard Foy <foy@AEROSPACE>
To:             ARMS-D@MIT-MC
Subject:        People

I have been wondering why more people are not involved with the issues
of nuclear weapons. Why don't more people do something even if it is just
writing to Congress in support of or in opposition to a particular bill?

In order to find answers to this question I have explored it with some of
my friends who are not involved. So far I have three answers.

One answer. Trying to do something about nuclear war is like trying to
solve the problem of starvation in Africa. It is too big a problem and too
remote for me to be effective. I would rather work to relieve suffering
of those around me. Also I am not sure but that Washington is doing the right
thing anyway.

Another answer. I think that the probability of a nuclear war occurring is
one. However I think that the probability of it occurring within a period
to be concern is very low. So why bother. Incidentally, this persons estimate
of the probability of his being killed in an automobile accident was about
two orders of magnitude below the statistical probability based upon the
automobile death rate and his amount of driving.

A third answer. I believe in metaphysics. There are enough people
sending out thought forms that say they don't want nuclear war that it
won't happen.

I suspect that these three answers almost cover the range of types of answers
one would get to the question, Why aren't you active in working to [
prevent nuclear war.

I believe that if we really want to prevent nuclear war we need to get far
more people actively involved in searching for politically, economically,
sociologically, psychologically, and technically sound solutions to the issues
of nuclear war.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

richard

[End of ARMS-D Digest]