[fa.arms-d] Arms-Discussion Digest V2 #69

arms-d@ucbvax.ARPA (11/03/84)

From: Moderator <ARMS-D@MIT-MC.ARPA>

Arms-Discussion Digest Volume 2 : Issue 69
Today's Topics:

		Implications of Nuclear Winter (2 msgs)
		CSM essay contest ideas
		'Concious' game

Date:           Tue, 30 Oct 84 20:32:06 PST
From:           Charlie Crummer <crummer@AEROSPACE>
To:             ARMS-D@MIT-MC.ARPA
Subject:        Arms-Discussion Digest V2 #68

I submit that the Nuclear Winter findings only serve to clinch the
obsolescence of war.  The use of war as "continuation of policy by other
means" depends on
the ability of the combatants to maintain the
integrity of that which is being defended.  When the act of war will
surely
destroy that for which the war is being fought, territory, national
identity, orlife itself, then war as a rational activity is "spoiled".
The only way such
a war could be initiated is by the bureaucratic machinery of a nation or
nations as organisms, in some sense inferior to an amoeba on the
evolutionary scale,
striving for survival in some neanderthal understanding of the word.

I think that the danger that presents itself can only be averted by
people.
Human beings with the common sense they were born with.  Hitler saw
survival in
his last days as the destruction of the German people (see "An Anatomy
of Human
Destructiveness" by Erich Fromm).  The primitive organisms which are the
nations may indeed perceive survival of the state as external to the
survival of any of
its people (The current affirmation that the US is prepared to wage,
SURVIVE, and win a six (6) month protracted nuclear war is witness to
this insanity.  The
state's survival means the survival of the bureaucracy; the data and
network of
bureaus that make it up.  People have always been expendable.)

If the race is to survive it will probably be due to the incomparable
wonder
of democracy.  Inefficient, yes but it really does respond to the will
(common
sense, humanity, morality, ethics) of the people.  Despite what it seems
many
think, this country is not a monarchy or dictatorship.  Neither Reagan
nor
Mondale can be absolute dictators.  The bad news is that it is up to the
people
to lead.  Unless we do we will to drift, leaderless, toward catastrophe.
We,
the people have the responsibility for our fates (indeeed the fate of
the planet).

               "If the People Lead,
                  eventually
              the leaders will follow."

There IS NO TECHNOLOGICAL SOLUTION!

  --Charlie

------------------------------

Date:           Tue, 30 Oct 84 21:24:34 PST
From:           Charlie Crummer <crummer@AEROSPACE>
To:             ARMS-D@MIT-MC.ARPA
Subject:        Arms-Discussion Digest V2 #67

Ideas for the CSM essay contest:

  1. American people wake up and realize that the power of the US lies
in its
     political system, not in its weaponry.

  2. They also realize that all people in the world are human and have
not only
     the same needs as they but also the same potential of intelligence
and
     productivity.

  3. The American people see that the democratic system only holds the
POTENTIAL          for the salvation of the world from nuclear
holocaust.  It is up to the
     people to lead and demand that the officials in whatever
administration
     produce results.  The confusion between results and reasons for no
results
     is ended.

  4. The US becomes the true leader in the evolution beyond war by
affecting
     Soviet policy; by playing to the positive forces in the Soviet
Union and
     thus giving them power.  The power residing in the dangerous hawks
     naturally dies out and they (as well as our own fear-ridden
crazies)
     gradually become a harmless fringe group.

  5. There are still conflicts but all know that they can and must be
resolved
     without war.  War is as obsolete now as is the Catholic inquisition
and
     genocide are for the rectifying of "wrongs".

  --Charlie

------------------------------

Date: 31 Oct 1984 12:03:51-EST
From: sde@Mitre-Bedford
To: arms-d@mit-mc

Subject: 'Concious' game

Brilliant satire of a leftist mind at work.
Of course, if the idea really wasn't meant as a satire, then one should
point out that what has been suggested is the deliberate creation of a
variety of information disease; such an information disease would, of
course, be most likely to strike at those countries allowing free flow
of information and least likely to seriously impinge on the tightly
controlled countries. In other words, what is suggested is a method of
undermining the free world's will to resist. In the old days, this was
called psychological warfare. If I wanted to be really blunt, which I
do, I therefore would remark that there is a clause in the U.S.
constitution
about 'levying war' against the U.S.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 Nov 84 17:17:00 cst
From: "Walter G. Rudd" <rudd%lsu.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>
To: ARMS-D@mit-mc.csnet
Subject: Implications of the nuclear winter

What started out as a fruitful discussion of  the  strategic
implications of the nuclear winter degenerated into an argu-
ment over who might or might not be  classified  as  nuclear
crazy  states.   If  a  nuclear  crazy  state  is  one  that
threatens to destroy the world if somebody messes with it in
the  wrong  way, then we need not look beyond our own shores
to find one.

If there is such a thing as a sense of morals  in  the  arms
race,  then it seems to me that the nuclear winter radically
alters the picture.  Before the NW idea, the  situation  was
sort of like the professional boxing business: if two people
want to beat each others' brains out, that's fine so long as
the audience doesn't get hurt terribly. There might be a few
blood spatters onto the people  at  ringside.   But  the  NW
threatens  to  kill  the entire audience, a prospect that is
not liable to please them, especially since they are  forced
to  attend  the  fight. The boxers in the ring have not only
their own potential suicide for their consciences. They  now
must  accept the moral responsibility for the potential kil-
ling of everyone else.

The audience's only chance  for  survival  is  to  stop  the
fight.

This fact leads to some positive ideas, per Maas' request.

The prospect of NW means that ALL the nations of the  world,
not  just  the ones in blast or fallout zones, have a vested
interest in stopping the  arms  race  and  in  reducing  the
world's  total  nuclear  stockpile  to  a level below the NW
threshold.  For example, countries  in  the  southern  hemi-
sphere  that once felt secure can no longer assume that they
would not be severely, perhaps fatally, harmed as  a  result
of the NW.

The hope for nuclear arms reduction is that, realizing  this
fact,  the nuclear have-nots will join together to force the
superpowers to eliminate  the  threat.   There  are  several
existing  groups  of  nations,  such  as the European Common
Market, the OAS, and OPEC,  that could serve as  the  nuclei
to apply anti-nuclear pressures on the nations that threaten
them.  Some possible measures are economic boycotts, a shift
by allies of both sides to more neutral stances, and threats
to default on loans funded by the superpowers.  One can even
envision  a  situation  in  which, threatened by an imminent
large exchange of nuclear weapons, an  alliance  of  nuclear
have-not  nations  could  launch  attacks using conventional
weapons against the nuclear forces of the superpowers  as  a
last-ditch effort to save themselves.

A nation with an informed government - one that  understands
the  implications  of the NW threat - would have to partici-
pate in anti-nuclear measures as a matter  of  self-defense.

The  NW theory is too new and details too sketchy as yet for
nations to have learned about it or to take it as a  serious
threat.  But  in  a  few years, this situation could change,
particularly if organizations like the UN help in the educa-
tional process.

There already is some evidence that  the  nuclear  have-nots
might indeed band together in a movement against the nuclear
haves.  For example, there was a recent proposal in  the  UN
to  impose  a tax on nations in proportion to additions they
make to their nuclear arsenals.  The proceeds from  the  tax
were to go to a fund to be used to repair the damage done to
third-world nations  damaged, through no fault of their own,
in  a  nuclear war.  New Zealand and Australia are showing a
great deal of reluctance to  have  any  nuclear  weapons  in
their  vicinity, as are some NATO nations.  The NW threat is
bound to increase this kind of open resistance to  the  arms
race.

An interesting side effect of all this is that people in the
US  that  push  for actions by other nations to pressure the
superpowers into arms reductions  will  be  in  the  awkward
position  of  advocating economic and other measures against
the US that will appear to be against the best interests  of
the US.

A decade with no real progress toward arms  reduction  leads
one  to believe that the two great macho powers will not, as
a result of internal pressures or the threat  they  pose  to
each  other,  make  a serious effort to reduce nuclear arms.
It is doubtful that moral arguments about  their  threat  to
eliminate the human race will have any effect. Therefore, we
must hope that external pressures from the  world  community
will force them into taking actions they would not otherwise
take.  At the very least, external pressures could help both
sides  to  reduce  nuclear  armaments without "losing face."
Perhaps the nuclear winter is the trigger it  will  take  to
send  the world community further down this path to disarma-
ment.

------------------------------
[End of ARMS-D Digest]

arms-d@ucbvax.ARPA (11/03/84)

Date: Fri, 2 Nov 84 17:17:00 cst
From: "Walter G. Rudd" <rudd%lsu.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>
To: ARMS-D@mit-mc.csnet

simon@psuvax1.UUCP (Janos Simon) (11/04/84)

>   4. The US becomes the true leader in the evolution beyond war by affecting
>      Soviet policy; by playing to the positive forces in the Soviet Union and
>      thus giving them power.  The power residing in the dangerous hawks
>      naturally dies out and they (as well as our own fear-ridden crazies)
>      gradually become a harmless fringe group.
>
>   5. There are still conflicts but all know that they can and must be resolved
>      without war.  War is as obsolete now as is the Catholic inquisition and
>      genocide are for the rectifying of "wrongs".

Great dreaming here. HOW does the US effectively influence the internal politics
of the USSR? Their system is less then totally open - I doubt that there is
anyone who knows which groups there are inside the USSR government, what their
long-term aims are, etc., much less do we have the ability to favor one of
these. Public opinion is not public in the USSR. The voice of the citizens
is not heard, and surely not listened to. We may be able to influnce Sakharov,
perhaps even a few intellectuals that are "in", but this falls way short of
influencing the country.
As for 5., maybe you should remind the people in Lebanon, Biafra, or Timor that
genocide is an ugly word.
The point I'm trying to make is that proposals have to be realistic. One does
not have to be a cynic - some hope can be found in idealistic solutions (e.g.
India, integration in the South), but one cannot just bury one's head in the
sand proclaiming that things that should happen, will. After all, Mahatma
Gandhi and Martin Luther King were superb politicians, who had definite plans.
Gandhi didn't just decide that since the occupation of India was morally wrong
the British will realize it and leave - he organized confrontations, and made
sure they were very well publicized. Every time the British had to arrest
violently thousands of paceful protesters, millions of Indians were made aware
of this. As a result, while his aims and methods were peaceful, the implied
threat that these millions of people may stop being nonviolent was not lost on
either party. What is the similar threat that Australia can evoke?
We need good ideas, not wishful thinking.
js