[fa.arms-d] Arms-Discussion Digest V3 #22

arms-d@ucbvax.ARPA (04/09/85)

From: Moderator <ARMS-D@MIT-MC.ARPA>

Arms-Discussion Digest Volume 3 : Issue 22
Today's Topics:

	SDI "Foolishness"
	SDI economic drain (6 msgs)
	Gorbachev
	Star Wars Welfare
	too-complacent estimate of SDI effectiveness
	Understanding liberals

Date: Thu, 4 Apr 85 19:04:29 EST
From: Herb Lin <LIN@MIT-MC.ARPA>
Subject:  SDI "Foolishness"
To: ihnp4!utzoo!henry@UCB-VAX.ARPA
cc: ARMS-D@MIT-MC.ARPA

    > Does Murphy's Law count as a law of physics?  Probably nt, but  I
    > think it is a law nevertheless.  Larger things are more complex, and
    > have more ways to go wrong.  More effort has to be expended to keep
    > things going right.  In the long run, which one wins?  I think the
    > former.

    ICBMs are large, complex objects, much more so than many of the proposed
    defensive systems.  Incidentally, the reliability of ICBMs is unproven,
    and the official estimates are almost certainly much too high.

I agree with the latter, and it raises an interesting point.  Would we
be happy with an SDI that was as reliable as our ICBM's?  I would not
be.  Yet we propose to REPLACE our offensive forces with SDI
(deliberately provocative comment, but true nevertheless).

    > >     ...But I see nothing in the laws of physics which
    > >     firmly states that defence against ballistic missiles is a
    contradiction
    > >     in terms, or that it is intrinsically very expensive.
    >
    > How about the notion that SDI should provide a comprehensive
    > population defense that is 100% effective?  Nothing in physics says
    > that is impossible, yet I don't believe it can ever happen.  Do you?

    Random failures probably prevent absolutely 100% effectiveness, no matter
    how good the system is.  So what?  The notion that SDI is worthless unless
    it is 100.000000% effective is utter garbage, another ridiculous argument
    advanced by people who don't care whether they lie so long as they win.

  Look at the original statement above.  Your statement above says
that nothing in physics prevents a missile defense.  My question asks
you does not being forbidden by the laws of physics make something
possible.  Your answer is that "random failures" do so.  There is
nothing about physics that insures random failures, and yet you
believe random failures are possible.  I was trying to illustrate that
even if there is no law of physics that prohibits something, other
things (like Murphy's law) do.  You apparently agree.

HOWEVER, as long as YOU brought it up, suppose you tell us what
effectiveness level is the threshold for buying a BMD.  You wouldn't
buy it at zero, most (thought not I) would buy it at 100%.  What is
your minimum effectiveness level?

Furthermore, I should point out that if you're not talking about 100%
defense (i.e., successful defense of EVERYTHING), you're not talking
about what the President proposed.  Of course, you need not talk about
what he proposed, but then you have to admit that what you're
proposing to buy is what NOT what he is trying to sell the public.
*That* doesn't bode well for the functioning of the democratic process.

    Three defence layers, each 90% effective, reduce a 100,000-warhead attack
    (this is about the level that has been proposed as what the Soviets might
    build up to as an SDI countermeasure) to 100 warheads.

Name just one weapon system that has had an operational effectiveness
of 90% against real targets.  It is easy to POSTULATE 90%
effectiveness in each layer, but mighty hard to deliver.  The promises
have always been large, the results small.  The burden of proof is on
you and the SDI advocates to illustrate why this time will be any
different than last time and the time before that and the time before
that and so on, especially since the last time *seemed* just as
promising as this time.

I should note that the same contractors that will build SDI are the
ones that overstate weapons system reliability by factors of 2-6
typically, and much more not uncommonly.  This is not my conjecture -
this is an *AIR FORCE* study of state of the art technology in the
early 1970's.

    Note that these
    are 100 *randomly* *chosen* warheads.  Maybe half of them will hit isolated
    military targets like ICBM silos.  The remaining 50 will hit randomly-
    chosen military targets (that's what the Soviets aim their missiles at)
    near or in populated areas.

Your assumptions of Soviet targeting leave something to be desired.
In particular, you assume that they don't change their targeting to
preserve assured destruction capabilities.  In defense of cities, you
don't have the luxury of preferential defense; ergo, you must assume
that any city might absorb a much larger attack as compared to
warheads divided by cities would give you.

    	Venus and Mars lase at 10 um, from CO2.  Earth may too, from
    	O2 rather than CO2, but nobody is really sure of that yet.
    	Put 1-meter mirrors 1000 km apart, with 1-us pulses at 8 kHz.
    	There is lots of gain, a one-way trip may suffice.  Power is
    	5 GW instantaneous, 40 MW average.  There is no exhaustion
    	problem, since orbital motion of the mirrors is constantly
    	bringing new gas into the beam path.  You might be able to
    	get a global ring laser going, for continuous power output
    	up in the gigawatts.

Interesting.  What about beam widths?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 Apr 85 22:25:06 EST
From: Herb Lin <LIN@MIT-MC.ARPA>
Subject:  SDI economic drain
To: JoSH@RUTGERS.ARPA
cc: ARMS-D@MIT-MC.ARPA, DBOOTH@USC-ISIF.ARPA

    Nobody pays money to a missile.  Every single dollar spent on SDI goes
    to a *person*, just as much as a welfare dollar does.

False.  Money buys hardware as well as paying people.  It is as much
of a "waste" to buy a missile as a water project, but to say that SDI
will go only to people is just silly.

    What difference
    does it make whether he is paid the dollar for doing "useless" space
    research (SDI), or for doing nothing (welfare)?

None; I agree here.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Apr 85 10:33:58 PST
From: Richard Foy <foy@AEROSPACE.ARPA>
To: arms-d@mit-mc.ARPA
Subject:        Gorbachev

I like Knutsen have been wondering about the changes in the Soviet politburo.
Another factor bysides his agricultural background is his age. He may not have
been as steeped in the Stalinist ideology as prior leadership. Perhaps he sees
what the arms race is really doing to his country.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Apr 85 10:41:40 PST
From: Richard Foy <foy@AEROSPACE.ARPA>
To: arms-d@mit-mc.ARPA
Subject:        Star Wars Welfare

Mixing arguments for jobs with arguments for operational effectiveness
leads to very confused thinking and almost certainly to suboptimized
solutions.

If we want income redistribution we should justify it on its own merits;
ie we are a moral society or whatever. If we want space exploration we
should justify it on its own merits.

Confusing our thinking about Star Wars with extraneous arguments about
beneficial fallout at best will lead to a vast waste of money and at
worst a nuclear disaster.

------------------------------

Date: 5 Apr 85 14:28:59 PST
Subject: Re: SDI economic drain
From: David Booth <DBOOTH@USC-ISIF.ARPA>
To: Herb Lin <LIN@MIT-MC.ARPA>
cc: arms-d@MIT-MC.ARPA, JoSH@RUTGERS.ARPA

    [Lin@mit-mc:]  It is as much of a "waste" to buy a missile as a
    water project, . . . .

No, a water project improves our standard of living; a missile does not.

	[JoSH@rutgers:]  What difference
	does it make whether he is paid the dollar for doing "useless" space
	research (SDI), or for doing nothing (welfare)?

    [Lin@mit-mc:]  None; I agree here.

Oh come on, there certainly *are* differences between "useless" space
research and welfare.  Welfare is intended to insure that children --
our future human resources -- grow up physically and mentally fit;
and to be charitable, by helping those most in need.  "Useless"
space research represents welfare for those who are the *least* needy
and the *most* needed for productive work: our highly educated researchers.
The difference is in who gets the dollar.
-------

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 6 Apr 85 15:30:26 EST
From: Herb Lin <LIN@MIT-MC.ARPA>
To: DBOOTH@USC-ISIF.ARPA
cc: ARMS-D@MIT-MC.ARPA, LIN@MIT-MC.ARPA, JoSH@RUTGERS.ARPA

        [Lin@mit-mc:]  It is as much of a "waste" to buy a missile as a
        water project, . . . .

    No, a water project improves our standard of living; a missile does not.

Maybe, maybe not.  Depends on the "real" need for it.  A missile may
or may not improve our standard of living - if it turns out that it
kept the Soviets from attacking, then I would argue that it improves
our standard of living.  Whether or not this is knowable in any
fundamental sense is a different question.

    	[JoSH@rutgers:]  What difference
    	does it make whether he is paid the dollar for doing "useless" space
    	research (SDI), or for doing nothing (welfare)?

        [Lin@mit-mc:]  None; I agree here.

    Oh come on, there certainly *are* differences between "useless" space
    research and welfare.  Welfare is intended to insure that children --
    our future human resources -- grow up physically and mentally fit;
    and to be charitable, by helping those most in need.  "Useless"
    space research represents welfare for those who are the *least* needy
    and the *most* needed for productive work: our highly educated researchers.
    The difference is in who gets the dollar.

It makes no difference for the *economic* goal you are trying to
achieve.  It does make a difference for the *social* goal you are
trying to achieve.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 6 Apr 85 17:12:49 EST
From: "Steven A. Swernofsky" <SASW@MIT-MC.ARPA>
Subject:  [hamscher: Annals of Computer Science Seminar TODAY!]
To: ARMS-D@MIT-MC.ARPA

MSG:  *MSG   3890
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 85 09:15:32 est
From: Walter Hamscher <hamscher at mit-htvax>
To:   *ht at ht, *mc, *oz at oz, *xx at xx
Re:   Annals of Computer Science Seminar TODAY!

REFRESHMENTS: Noon
PLACE: 8th Floor Playroom
HOSTS: Sundar Narasimhan, Harry Voorhees, Dave Siegel

      			 1941-1985:
	    FORTY-FOUR YEARS OF AN MIT TRADITION

		      	  :-) (-:

Today's annals of computer science seminar will focus on
recently discovered documents concerning two anonymous US
Navy cryptographers (both MIT '40) stationed at Pearl Harbor
in December of 1941.  On the evening of December 6th, 1941
an encoded Imperial Japanese Navy transmission was
intercepted.  The decrypted text began:

	"The attack on Pearl Harbor of December 8th..."

The attack being two days away, the MIT cryptographers
decided to call it a night and decrypt the remainder of the
message in the morning.  The rest, of course, is history.

	     REFRESHMENTS WILL BE SERVED

------------------------------

Date: 6 Apr 85 16:05:25 PST
From: David Booth <DBOOTH@USC-ISIF.ARPA>
To: Herb Lin <LIN@MIT-MC.ARPA>
cc: arms-d@MIT-MC.ARPA, JoSH@RUTGERS.ARPA

    [Lin:]  . . . If it turns out that [a missile] kept the Soviets from
    attacking, then I would argue that [the missile] improves our
    standard of living. . . .

Not quite.  The expense of the missile drains the economy.  This decreases
(or at least, fails to increase) our standard of living.  However,
If the missile really does keep the Soviets from attacking, then
it is *preventing a greater decrease* in our standard of living.

The real issues are (1) whether it *will* increase our security; and
(2) if so, whether the increase is worth the inherent economic drain.
(A bad economy, by the way, also tends to decrease security and stability.)
-------

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 7 Apr 85 10:41:30 EST
From: Herb Lin <LIN@MIT-MC.ARPA>
To: DBOOTH@USC-ISIF.ARPA
cc: ARMS-D@MIT-MC.ARPA, LIN@MIT-MC.ARPA, JoSH@RUTGERS.ARPA

    From: David Booth <DBOOTH at USC-ISIF.ARPA>

        [Lin:]  . . . If it turns out that [a missile] kept the Soviets from
        attacking, then I would argue that [the missile] improves our
        standard of living. . . .

    Not quite.  The expense of the missile drains the economy.  This decreases
    (or at least, fails to increase) our standard of living.  However,
    If the missile really does keep the Soviets from attacking, then
    it is *preventing a greater decrease* in our standard of living.

I agree that there is a distinction between preventing decreases and
generating increases, but in my view, it is not of significance.  I
want to do both; moreover, the former is a pre-requisite to the
latter.

In addition, recall the original discussion comparing water projects
to missiles.  The following paragraph makes appropriate lexical
substitutions for "missile" and "Soviet attack":

     ..  The expense of the water project drains the economy.  This decreases
    (or at least, fails to increase) our standard of living.  However,
    If the water project really does keep the floods from destroying
    valuable farmland, then
    it is *preventing a greater decrease* in our standard of living.

How is your argument different?

    The real issues are (1) whether it *will* increase our security; and
    (2) if so, whether the increase is worth the inherent economic drain.
    (A bad economy, by the way, also tends to decrease security and stability.)

I agree with (1), and in many cases, I believe that the missile does
NOT increase our security.  I have a much harder time with (2),
because I don't know how to put a price on my security.  (2) is based
on the standard libertarian argument that everything is reducible to
quantitative monetary terms, and I just don't think that is either
true or possible.

------------------------------

Date: 8 Apr 85 12:25:14 PST
From: David Booth <DBOOTH@USC-ISIF.ARPA>
To: Herb Lin <LIN@MIT-MC.ARPA>
cc: JoSH@RUTGERS.ARPA, arms-d@MIT-MC.ARPA

    [Lin:]  . . . Recall the original discussion comparing water
    projects to missiles.  The following paragraph makes appropriate
    lexical substitutions for "missile" and "Soviet attack":

        ...  The expense of the water project drains the economy.  This
        decreases (or at least, fails to increase) our standard of
        living.  However, If the water project really does keep the
        floods from destroying valuable farmland, then it is
        *preventing a greater decrease* in our standard of living.

    How is your argument different?

No difference; I agree with this comparison.  Maybe I misunderstood
the original reference to water projects.  If the missile really
does prevent Soviet attack, and if the water project has no productive
use other than to prevent disasterous floods (i.e. it is not intended
to provide a more reliable source of water or generate electricity),
the two are equivalent in their impact on our standard of living.

        [DBooth:]  The real issues are (1) whether it *will* increase
        our security; and (2) if so, whether the increase is worth the
        inherent economic drain.  (A bad economy, by the way, also
        tends to decrease security and stability.)

    [Lin:]  . . . I don't know how to put a price on my security.
    (2) is based on the standard libertarian argument that everything
    is reducible to quantitative monetary terms, and I just don't think
    that is either true or possible.

I didn't mean to imply some kind of numerical equation -- just that
there is an inherent trade-off.  We make choices like this every day,
though we can't quantify the options.

-------

------------------------------

Date: 1985 Apr 08 01:09:23 PST (=GMT-8hr)
From: Robert Elton Maas <REM@IMSSS.SU.EDU.ARPA>
To: ihnp4!utzoo!henry@UCB-VAX.ARPA
CC: Arms-D@MIT-MC.ARPA
Subject: too-complacent estimate of SDI effectiveness, yuk

  |From: ihnp4!utzoo!henry@UCB-VAX.ARPA
  |Date: 2 Apr 85 14:32:43 CST (Tue)
  |To: ARMS-D@MIT-MC.ARPA
  |
  |Three defence layers, each 90% effective, reduce a 100,000-warhead attack
  |(this is about the level that has been proposed as what the Soviets might
  |build up to as an SDI countermeasure) to 100 warheads.
Where do you get these figures? I assume you are calculating that each
of the three phases of interception will be 90% effective, and that
CCC will be absolutely flawless so that no consistent loss of
effectiveness occurs. Then the overall non-kill rate will be the
product of the individual non-kill rages, i.e. (0.1)^3 = 0.001 ?
I don't think there is anything resembling a demonstration that even
80% effectiveness at each phase will occur, much less 90%. Furthermore
CCC is a truly major problem with all that EMP and chaff and plasma
balls all over the place. I'd wouldn't be surprised to see CCC totally
break down, and thus the launch-to-destination tracking and inventory
that the Strategic Defense Initiative relies on would be absent and
most of the coast-phase and destination-phase interception vehicles
would be wandering aimlessly not knowing where to look for a missile
to intercept. Furthermore, boost-phase interception is inherently
destabilizing/offensive. If we have satellites constantly flying over
the SU ready to shoot at ICBMs before they finish their initial burn,
those same satellites can be used to shoot down high-flying aircraft
and other non-offensive vehicles. Our "defensive" SDI satellites thus
have strategic offensive capability, with an action time of mere
seconds instead of the half-hour our ICBMs have and the eight minutes
our tactical missiles have. We could launch a surprise attack so fast
their military capability could be eliminated before they could wake
the Premier. If we started to install such a capability, the mere
installation might be considered an act of war. Would we allow on-site
inspection of our satellites to demonstrate they couldn't zap aircraft
on the ground and individual people walking around outside the
Kremlin? I don't see that we can be allowed to develop such a
technology or that they can allow us to do so. But if we don't, those
estimates of 99.9% defense are surely wrong.

I'm leery of coast-phase interception too, but perhaps I'll permit it
fo the sake of argument. I'll also allow 80% effectiveness even though
I consider that optimistic at this time (but possible maybe maybe).
Then (0.2)^2 = 4% of the 100,000 weapons get through, i.e. 4000
thermonuclear warheads hit target on the USA. Goodbye everybody.

  |Note that these are 100 *randomly* *chosen* warheads.  Maybe half of
  |them will hit isolated military targets like ICBM silos.  The
  |remaining 50 will hit randomly-chosen military targets (that's what
  |the Soviets aim their missiles at) near or in populated areas.
  |Remember, you are not allowed to assume that these 50
  |warheads will hit the 50 most important places; they will hit random
  |places, many of them relatively minor.

It sounds like you're assuming the USSR won't retarget their warheads
from current no-defense targeting? That's absurd. Of course if they
know only 4% (or 0.1% by your calculations) of them will get through,
they'll have to send many many of them against each important target,
at the expense of leaving lesser targets almost completely uncovered.
The current rule of thumb is 2 warheads per target. With defense,
they'll probably shift that rule to 50 or 100 or 1000 or 2000 warheads
against each important target, and only 1 against each lesser target.
That way instead of 50% of the 100 (or 4000) warheads hitting the
boondocks and 50% hitting cities, we'll have maybe 95% hitting major
targets including NYC and WDC and only 5% hitting boonies; they'll
probably be forced to strike our cities instead of individual missile
silos, since they won't have enough warheads to cover the missile
silos anyway. Regardless of how they really do retarget, I doubt they
will use current targeting algorithms and thus I distrust your
complacent estimates that our population won't be hit bad.

  |Contrast this with the effect of 10,000 warheads, hitting every significant
  |target and most of the minor ones.  Sounds worthwhile to me.
Let's see, 10,000 now, 4,000 (my estimate) after we've gone to all
that trouble to "protect" ourselves, I don't see any significant
difference in chance of survival of myself or anybody I know.

------------------------------

Date: 1985 Apr 08 01:21:24 PST (=GMT-8hr)
From: Robert Elton Maas <REM@IMSSS.SU.EDU.ARPA>
To: JoSH@RUTGERS.ARPA
CC: ARMS-D@MIT-MC.ARPA
Subject: So you don't understand us liberals? Here's a lesson.

> Date: 29 Mar 85 23:34:22 EST
> From: JoSH <JoSH@RUTGERS.ARPA>
> Subject: liberal reaction to the SDI proposal

> I'm at a loss to understand the liberal reaction to the SDI proposal.
> If SDI really doesn't work,
> then the program consists essentially of a non-means-tested
> income redistribution program, like 95% of the DHHS budget
> already is, and which liberals seem to love.
You misunderstand the essential difference. Welfare consists of a
"parachute" or "safety net" for those who would otherwise be unable to
survive without begging or stealing from the rest of us. It diverts
their effort from begging or stealing to filling out forms and looking
for a job or at least making a show that they are looking. The
Military-Industrial complex diverts the effort of those who are able
to do technical work, away from useful technical work and towards
working on means of death or fake means of death that don't really
work. I would rather see welfare than begging&stealing, but I would
rather see work on space travel/industry/habitat or medicine or
computer networks or rapid transit or deep-sea mining/habitat or
general scientific research or even fast-food rather than weapons. I
think my preference for welfare over begging&stealing qualifies me as
a "liberal", and dosn't imply that I also prefer weapons-welfare over
useful work.

  |Date: 3 Apr 85 17:30:04 EST
  |From: JoSH <JoSH@RUTGERS.ARPA>
  |Subject: Re: SDI economic drain
  |
  |Nobody pays money to a missile.  Every single dollar spent on SDI goes
  |to a *person*, just as much as a welfare dollar does.  What difference
  |does it make whether he is paid the dollar for doing "useless" space
  |research (SDI), or for doing nothing (welfare)?  In either case the
  |government is paying him not to take part in the productive economy.
The difference is what the person is diverted away from, destitute
begging or stealing to survive, or developing lots of wonderful things
like industrial robots or cures for types of cancer. See reply to
message above.

[End of ARMS-D Digest]