[net.math] Surface Area Query

riggsby@h-sc1.UUCP (andrew riggsby) (11/15/85)

Is there a general method for determining the surface area of an arbitrary sur- face or solid similar to (or not similar, for that matter) using displacement
to determine the volume of a solid.  Note that this includes 2-d surfaces in
E^3.

Thanks.

                               Andrew Riggsby
                              riggsby@harvunxu

> Is there a general method for determining the surface area of an arbitrary sur- face or solid similar to (or not similar, for that matter) using displacement
> to determine the volume of a solid.  Note that this includes 2-d surfaces in
> E^3.

Well, you could try electroplating or adsorption under some
circumstances, but I don't think there's anything as elegant
for this as the use of immersion displacement to determine volume.

Of course, in theory the surface area of a bounded solid
of finite volume could be infinite..

ken@turtlevax.UUCP (Ken Turkowski) (11/18/85)

In article <749@h-sc1.UUCP> riggsby@h-sc1.UUCP (andrew riggsby) writes:
>Is there a general method for determining the surface area of an arbitrary
>surface or solid similar to (or not similar, for that matter) using
>displacement to determine the volume of a solid.  Note that this includes
>2-d surfaces in E^3.

If you can determine the normal to the surface, you can use the divergence
theorem:
		 __
	integral \/ . A dV  = integral A . n dS
	   V			 S

Where V is the entire volume of the object,
S is the surface of the object,
__
\/ is the vector differential operator "del",
. is the dot product,
dV is an incremental volume of integration,
dS is an incremental surface of integration,
n is the normal to the surface,
and A is a vector function.

For your purposes, you would want to pick a function A such that
	A.n == 1

In some applications, doing a surface integral is easier than a volume
integral;  hopefully, for yours, a volume integral is easier.
--
Ken Turkowski @ CIMLINC (formerly CADLINC), Menlo Park, CA
UUCP: {amd,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,spar}!turtlevax!ken

robertj@garfield.UUCP (11/20/85)

In article <749@h-sc1.UUCP> riggsby@h-sc1.UUCP (andrew riggsby) writes:
>Is there a general method for determining the surface area of an arbitrary sur- face or solid similar to (or not similar, for that matter) using displacement
>to determine the volume of a solid.  Note that this includes 2-d surfaces in
>E^3.
>
>Thanks.
>
>                               Andrew Riggsby
>                              riggsby@harvunxu

If the surface is given in parametric form and is of the class C^2 then
there is a method that I know of which is good for arbitrary dimensions.
It involves the (n-1)th integral (i.e. in E^3 this is the double integral)
of the determinant of the metric tensor of the surface. In more detail,
let the surface be parametrized by:

	R = Xi = Xi(U1,U2,...,U(n-1))

let Ri designate the partial derivative of R with respect to the ith
coordinate,Ui.
Then Gij = Ri.Rj where Ri.Rj is the usual scalar product or dot product.
All such Gij define a matrix with dterminant G. If we let I denote the
the (n-1)th integral (that is double integrals for E^3, triple integrals
for E^4) then if S is the surface area of the surface in question and
is given by:

	S = I{ (G)^(1/2) dU1dU2dU3...dU(n-1) }

over the region in question (that is the set on which each Ui is defined ).
This I think is what you are looking for and I think that it is correct
inwhat it is saying. If not humblest apologies. Reference: Manfredo P.
do Carmo, The Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces.

					Cheers
					Robert Janes

riggsby@h-sc1.UUCP (andrew riggsby) (11/25/85)

This is a clarification of my original question (seeking a method to find the
surface area on an object).  What I was really interested in was a "practical"
method which would find the area of a tooth, a rock or some other irregular
but real object.

Thanks
                            Andrew Riggsby