[net.games.emp] August Empire Bug

john@polyof.UUCP ( John Buck ) (09/03/85)

Sorry for the delay, but here is the belated August empire bug:

	If you nuke an 'impossible' sector.  ((x^y) & 01) != 0,
	You get 4 wastelands out of it, instead of one.  We call
	this phenomenon "Diamond nuking"

This bug from Export Version of Mar 3, 1983.  (Probably the one MOST
people have.

John Buck (and friends at the "Institute", including the (nearly) famous FTG)
(decvax!mcnc!rti-sel!polyof!john)
(decvax!philabs!ron1!polyof!john)

ewa@sdcc3.UUCP (Eric Anderson) (09/05/85)

In article <148@polyof.UUCP> john@polyof.UUCP ( John Buck ) writes:
>	If you nuke an 'impossible' sector.  ((x^y) & 01) != 0,
>	You get 4 wastelands out of it, instead of one.  We call
>	this phenomenon "Diamond nuking"

This is one of those rare cases where the phrase "That's not a bug, it's a
feature" can be applied correctly. Since damage from a nuclear bomb is
determined by distance from ground zero and megatonnage, it is perfectly
valid to drop 'between' sectors. It's just like dropping a bomb on the
Four Corners in Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico, it would still
damage all four states.

If you've never tried this, the blast pattern looks like this:

      1 4 5 4 1       Where 0=100% damage, 8=80% damage, etc. Note that this
     2 6 8 8 6 2      placement results in 2280 percentage points of sector
    2 7 0 / 0 7 2     damage as opposed to 2000 for a drop on a valid x,y.
     5 9 / / 9 5      (this is counting a wasteland as 100 points). A 2 megaton
    2 7 0 / 0 7 2     nuke only does 2500 points when fired at a valid x,y, so
     2 6 8 8 6 2      if your main goal is to optimize the kill/materials ratio,
      1 4 5 4 1       the 1 megaton nuke is by far the best buy. If, however,
                      your goal is to completely eliminate someone, this 1
megaton bombs complete destruction subpattern (the inner 8 sectors) will
map nicely onto an area like so:  In this illustration the numbers refer to
                            seperate bombs, a total of eight were used to wipe
   1 1 1                    out 64 sectors. 32 will be wastelands and 32 will
    1 1 2 2 2               be hit with 100% damage and revert to the diety.
   1 1 1 2 2 3 3 3          obviously this pattern can be repeated forever to
  4 4 4 2 2 2 3 3 5 5 5     cover any sized area. Just think, with only 512
   4 4 6 6 6 3 3 3 5 5      one megaton bombs you could destroy every sector in
  4 4 4 6 6 7 7 7 5 5 5     a 128x128 world (assuming 50% water). If you prefer
       6 6 6 7 7 8 8 8      bigger bombs, keep in mind that a five megaton nuke
            7 7 7 8 8       only does 3780 percentage points of damage, less
                 8 8 8      than the 4560 obtainable with two one megaton bombs.

Happy nuking!

Eric ("nuke 'em 'till they glow") Anderson
UC San Diego
...ihnp4!ucbvax!sdcsvax!sdcc3!ewa

jeffw@tekecs.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) (09/06/85)

> Sorry for the delay, but here is the belated August empire bug:
>
> 	If you nuke an 'impossible' sector.  ((x^y) & 01) != 0,
> 	You get 4 wastelands out of it, instead of one.  We call
> 	this phenomenon "Diamond nuking"
>
> This bug from Export Version of Mar 3, 1983.  (Probably the one MOST
> people have.

Pardon me, but that's not a bug - it's a feature!!

				this cliche brought to you by
					Jeff Winslow