[net.games.emp] Lates vers. of PC EMPIRE?

ejb@think.ARPA (Erik Bailey) (01/12/86)

What is the latest version of EMPIRE for the IMBPC? I have one entitled
5.0, although it has nothing resembling food, bridges, etc. that I have
seen on this newsgroup. Mine is just exploration and combat with the
computer. Any pointers would be appreciated (especially RBBS #s, UUCP,
and ARPAnet anon FTP). adTHANKSvance... --Erik
--
Erik Bailey
_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Erik Bailey        -- 7 Oak Knoll                 (USENET courtesy of
ihnp4!godot!ejb       Arlington, MA  02174        Thinking Machines Corp.
ejb@think.com.arpa    (617) 643-0732              Cambridge, MA)

"He's dead, Jim."   -- Leonard H. McCoy

lrj@lasspvax.UUCP (Lewis R. Jansen) (01/14/86)

In article <3947@think.ARPA> ejb@godot.UUCP (Erik Bailey) writes:
>What is the latest version of EMPIRE for the IMBPC? I have one entitled
>5.0, although it has nothing resembling food, bridges, etc. that I have
>seen on this newsgroup.

  The Empire seen on this newsgroup is very little like the Empire
on your PC.  True, there is a fundamental similarity in the world, and
the objects in it, but that's about it.  The Empire you hear about on this
newsgroup is one where you are playing 'against' other PEOPLE, using the
computer as a medium/moderator, as opposed to being the opponant.

  I have not played any of the newest versions of empire, and have only
played a little of Old Empire, but i HAVE played a fair bit of PC Empire,
as well as a very similar version on our VAX 11/750s.  For a little more
info on the general concept of the Empire usually discussed here, see my

  If anyone else can further my comments, PLEASE do so.  Although a high net
volume can spell death for a newsgroup, so can a dearth of postings...
Let's get some discussions going.  What is the best 'strategy'?  Where can
people get fairly new versions of the Empire (not PC version)?  What machines
does it run on, and can people get sources or are they stuck with binaries?

-----
-- Lewis R. Jansen   UUCP:  {decvax,ihnp4,allegra,vax135}!cornell!lasspvax!lrj
     ___.-.___     Bitnet:  uxhj@CornellA.BITNET
   ['  `(o)'  `]     Arpa:  lrj@lasspvax.tn.cornell.edu.ARPA

 Fire for'd phasers!

	      (My opinions are mine alone, but are for sale...)

tedrick@ernie.BERKELEY.EDU (Tom Tedrick) (01/16/86)

>  If anyone else can further my comments, PLEASE do so.  Although a high net
>volume can spell death for a newsgroup, so can a dearth of postings...
>Let's get some discussions going.  What is the best 'strategy'?  [ ...]

(OK, since you asked for it :-)

Empire is a great game, although it can be very frustrating at times
until you come up with a method for playing that you like. We have had
a game at Berkeley twice a year for some time (during Summer and Winter
breaks).

The best strategy is to have fun ... and watch out for the many tricks
that experienced players can surprise you with.

I think empire is possibly the "game of the future" in the sense that
it could become very popular if high powered computing machines get
cheaper so that more games can be played.

A lot of improvements could be made if the game became popular enough
to hit the big time commercially.

   -Tom