Date: 27 May 1982 10:56-EDT
From: Jeffrey Krauss <KRAUSS at MIT-MC>
Subject: CCSA Networks

Both FTS and Xerox's Intelnet are examples of the Common Control
Switching Arrangement (CCSA) networks offered by AT&T.  A CCSA network
is a network of leased lines that link a customer's premises by means
of switching machines at telco central offices (instead of using
customer premises PBXs).  The leased private lines used in CCSA
networks are provided by AT&T and OCCs for the exclusive use of the
customer, and are not shared among CCSA customers.  The telco central
office switches, however, are shared among CCSA customers (and
possibly with the public switched network also).  CCSA service was
first offered by AT&T in 1964, at the request of General Electric.  As
of 1974, AT&T had 29 CCSA customers.  The FTS is the largest CCSA
network.  A CCSA network is configured much like the public switched
network with a heierarchy of switching machines; higher level
switching machines provide a tandem function for interconnecting
intermachine trunks and provide alternate routing capabilities.  The
lower level switches connect access lines to one another (for intra-
regional connections) and connect access lines to trunks (for inter-
regional connections).  One major difference between CCSA networks and
tandem tie line networks that use PBXs is that CCSA networks have a
"uniform numbering plan"--every station has a unique seven-digit
address.  In contrast, a tie line network that involves tandeming
through PBXs requires an access code for each inter-PBX trunk that is
needed to complete the connection (the user must define the routing
and set up the trunk connections at the time he dials.)

The Autovon network is totally different.  The switching machines are
multiply interconnected in a non heierarchical network, probably much
like the Arpanet, for survivability.  The telephone sets have an
additional four buttons that can be used to seize trunks for
high-priority calls in an emergency--lower priority calls can be
disconnected without warning if a higher priority call needs the
trunk.  The netowrk is 4-wire end-to-end, whereas CCSA access lines
are typically two-wire.

Date: 27 May 1982 09:37 PDT
From: Suk at PARC-MAXC
Subject: Re: Internal phone networks
To: Hamilton.ES at PARC-MAXC

	"This results in some interesting anomalies.  I'm in El
	Segundo, and I can't direct-dial someone across town in
	Pasadena, but a Xerox person in Rochester can!"

On the other hand, using the same system we can direct-dial (from Palo
Alto) Stockton (~60 miles) or Fresno (~100 miles), but not Sacramento,
Lake Tahoe, Chico, Eureka, etc. (all farther away).

Stan

End of TELECOM Digest
-------