Date:  7 Jun 1982 2152-PDT
From: Bob Knight <ADMIN.KNIGHT at SU-SCORE>
Subject: RFI - Home Satellite Reception.

	I assume that this is appropriate for Telecom; if it isn't,
please point me to the correct place.  I've just moved across the
hills from Stanford (to the west), and now cannot get any decent TV
reception at all.  We're down in a canyon, and about 500' would have
to be blasted off a hill to make things reasonable.  At any rate, our
location is prime for a satellite earth station (or so I'm told).
Assuming this, are there available on the market - or will there be in
the 1 to 2 year time-frame - earth stations that will give me the
major networks and some movie channels that will cost $1K or less?
Details regarding legal ramifications, scrambling issues, etc. are of
interest also.  Any replies would be gratefully accepted.  Reply to me
directly, please.  I will prepare a synopsis of the information
gathered for general dissemination, if there is interest.

Thanks,
Bob

------------------------------

Date:  8 Jun 1982 1135-PDT
From: Ian H. Merritt <MERRITT at USC-ISIB>
Subject: Re: Metallic lines

Pacific Telephone has indicated that they will do it, but the rates are
excessive, as is the case with any private inter CO connections in this area.
						<>IHM<>

------------------------------

Date:     9 Jun 82 11:32:32-EDT (Wed)
From:     Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@BRL>
Subject:  Lewisville, Pa.

Lewisville is adjacent to Maryland border directly north of Elkton,
Md.  The residence & business phones, plus a couple of pay phones just
outside of town have, all told, local service to parts of 4 different
area codes!  In town, you find 215-255 (Kemblesville, Pa.), whose
local service includes Delaware (302-239 Hockessin;
302-366,368,453,454,731,737,738 Newark).  Just S of Md. border is a
pay phone on 301-398 (Elkton, Md.) prefix; its local service is only
within Md.  Just NW of town is a pay phone on 215-932 (Oxford, Pa.)
prefix; its local service includes 717-529 (Kirkwood, Pa.).  (In these
cases, when local service goes across area-code boundary, you only
need dial 7-digit number; similar situations in California 408/415 and
213/714 and in NYC area require the area code.)

------------------------------

Date:     9 Jun 82 13:23:28-EDT (Wed)
From:     Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@BRL>
Subject:  Galestown, Md. -- comment

In the Galestown, Md. situation I forwarded here very recently, one
should consider the effects the proposed change would have AND how
things got that way in the first place! (The article said that no
Maryland phone was available when the Delaware line was set up.)

------------------------------

Date:     9 Jun 82 14:22:15-EDT (Wed)
From:     Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@BRL>
cc:       cmoore at BRL
Subject:  zipcodes & phone prefixes

The phone prefix will NOT NECESSARILY correspond to the city name
required for the mailing address. (I got that info several years ago
in call-guide for somewhere in Alabama or Mississippi, and thought of
it again when I recently read a 1976 microfilm item about pre-sorted
mail.  Latter said that the phone company--at least Diamond State--was
already sorting bills by phone prefix.)  Some phone-prefix place names
are NOT found in zipcode book! Some of them: Arbutus, Md. (301-242,
247); Braddock, Va. (703-250); Holly Oak, Del. (302- 475,792,798);
Hensel, Pa. (717-548); Angola, Del. (302-945).  (I have seen mail
slots at phone-co. exchange buildings.  How does this reconcile with
my finding exchange place names such as I listed above?)

------------------------------

Date: 9 June 1982 1229-PDT (Wednesday)
From: lauren at UCLA-Security (Lauren Weinstein)
Subject: high speed limited distance modems

Generally, it is becoming impossible almost everywhere to get metallic
circuits between CO's.  If you order a leased line, you MAY get one
anyway -- but you can't order one specifically.  Even if you get one
by chance, it may be loaded to such a degree as to make your modems
useless.

One true metallic circuit can carry alot of conventional telephone
traffic... it's a small wonder that the companies are not interested
in dedicating these trunks to single users at (relatively) low prices.

People who require metallic circuits are really in much the same
situation as those users complaining that they need terrestrial leased
lines because their (obsolete) communications protocols screw up with
the delay on satellite circuits.

With increasing use of digital carrier and other "virtual" circuits to
increase capacity, the "simple and cheap" solutions to communications
problems can no longer always be expected to be viable.

You gotta keep up with the times!

--Lauren--

End of TELECOM Digest
-------