Date:  9-Jun-82 21:20-PDT
From: DAUL at OFFICE
Subject: Leased Lines
Cc: DAUL.OAD at OFFICE
Identifier: OAD-WBD-10VZ7
Length: 1 page(s)[estimate]

I would like to know what the rates are for leased lines?  I am
interested in access to a TYMNET node from Bakersfield, CA.  I am
trying to explore all possiblities.  Thanks for any replies (please
send direct to me).  --Bill

[If you call your Telephone Co.  Business office I'm sure they will be
able to help you. Unfortunately you can't shop around yet, since New
York Telephone is not able to lease you a line in California. --JSol]

------------------------------

Date: 9 June 1982 2305-PDT (Wednesday)
From: lauren at UCLA-Security (Lauren Weinstein)
Subject: home satellite systems
To: ADMIN.KNIGHT at SCORE

Such questions are definitely not appropriate to this list.  However,
HOME-SAT@AI is the right place -- this list has existed for quite some
time and discusses all aspects of satellite reception technology and
broader issues of video.  To join, send mail to HOME-SAT-REQUEST@AI.
Please note that traffic is generally very light on the list, and I am
the primary contributor these days.  Before you actually send any
message, please read through the archives (-REQUEST should be able to
tell you where they reside).  Any questions on your topic would
probably get answered mainly by me anyway.

I've been tracking this area for several years, and have been involved
in the configuration of several systems.  My current figures for a
West Coast system (end user) would be about $5K minimum.  The actual
dealer prices are around $2900 for a basic 13 foot system without
motorized aiming or stero processing.  I do not recommend less than 13
foot dishes for the West Coast due to our location in the weaker part
of the birds' footprints, and I don't recommend less than 12 foot
systems for ANYWHERE.  People buying 10 and 11 foot dishes are going
to find themselves up the creek when the FCC narrows the satellite
spacing to 2 or 3 degrees within the near future.  (3 degrees is the
more probable figure.  Some 11 foot dishes may be OK, but only high
quality ones with carefully controlled shape characteristics.)

There is actually little hope of drastic price reductions.  Prices are
more likely to go UP as legal restrictions increase on the reception
of such signals.  At least one bill pending in Congress would make
watching almost all such signals a crime.  The most likely upshot
of such legislation would be restrictions on equipment sales, which
would obviously drive up prices.  In any case, *some* of the premium
movie services (HBO and CINEMAX are the announced ones right now
[both owned by Time-Life]) will be scrambling within a couple of
years.  Most of the satellite scrambling systems planned are
DES based and are essentially uncrackable in a practical sense.
Many services will never be scrambled (especially the advertiser-sponsored
ones) and you could probably even get permission from some
(like the religious broadcasters) to *officially* watch their
transponders... so home earth terminals are definitely not a dead
issue unless ALL you care about are typical pay-tv movies.

In any case, the big mass-market push will be for Direct Broadcast
Satellite equipment... which is still a few years down the line
and is essentially pay-tv via satellite (just like STV [scrambled
UHF] stations.)

If you want more info, feel free to contact me directly.  Be sure
to read the HOME-SAT archives (wherever they are) for more
of my ravings on this topic.

--Lauren--

------------------------------

Date: 10 Jun 1982 09:09 PDT
From: Swenson at PARC-MAXC
Subject: Re: Lewisville, Pa.

Just a note: area codes 408 and 415 are no longer cross-tied; you must
dial the area code when calling across the area boundries .  This
change was made a few months ago.

End of TELECOM Digest
-------